PDA

View Full Version : ITU and hair loss

alkaliberry
December 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hello. I apologise for not having posted in a while. However I am back and missed all the advice and tips etc.

I spent about two weeks earlier this year in an ITU, and as a result of this have got some serious hair repair to do!

In the ITU I am told they did brush my hair and tie it back, but otherwise it was left alone. When moved to a general ward it was again left for a while (I was too ill to look after it). I have some memory loss so my recall of events is hazy. I can remember dragging myself to a shower and washing my poor birds nest as it was then. However there were HUGE knots in it. I managed to detangle some of them but were too bad and a very kind health care assistant had to cut them out :wail:.

Then after a while my hair began to fall out in handfuls! (I read up on this and apparently this is common after a prolonged ITU stay). So I had thinning hair, shorter bits underneath where the knots had to be cut out and then hair that has been seriously neglected.

Now I am home (after approx 6 months in hospital and limited net access) I am ready to start taking MUCH better care of my hair. I however need help! What should I be doing to get my length, pony tail thickness and shine back? I have so much time and work to recoup and I really don't know where to start!

squiggyflop
December 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
eat lots of protein take vitamins.. i suggest cwc.. and perhaps you might if you are healthy now consider going to the monistat thread.. treat your hair gently and perhaps do some s&d's with a good pair of hair scissors.. um use seamless or horn combs.. remember to condition.. and good luck.. with the proper diet and care im sure your hair will dazzle us all in no time..

eta:
welcome back.. ITU is the same as ICU right? when i was in the hospital in the ICU no one brushed my hair because they didnt dare for fear of hurting my back.. my hair was so much of a rats nest that i did end up chopping.. but my hair tangles easily.. it wants to weave itself into fabric.. i had knots as thick and solid as dreads when i left.. i too dont remember much from my time there..

Teacherbear
December 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Alkaliberry, I don't have a lot of advice, but wanted to write and say "welecome back". I'm sad to hear about your extended hospital stays (I assume ITU means intensive treatment unit - or something similar). ((((hugs))))

suicides_eve
December 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Welcome back

I agree start off with daily vitamin or drink,

for knots the only thing that would for for dd hair is a conditioner with cones in it. I would recommend a silk or satin pillow case also braiding the hair at night. these things have all worked for me in keeping knots at bay.

as for shedding i to lose lots of hair , i find combing my hair in an empty bath tub then sweeping them out with tissue paper, works best at keeping my floor hair free.

Darkhorse1
December 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hugs to you!! I hope you are ok!

Remember, our hair is an extention of how we are health wise. My guesses are whatever put you in ITU (Intensive Care Unit), that is probably the cause of your hair loss. Especially if you had a high fever. The hair WILL grow back, so the best thing you can do is focus on your own health--plenty of rest, vitamins, healthy foods and things will start to look better.

I know I've done olive oil on my ends when they look dry, and it made them pretty shiney. Perhaps try that? I wash my oil out as it would make my hair look horrifically stringy.

Good luck and glad you are home! :)

Redheaded Raven
December 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hugs welcome back! As a healthcare professional (CNA) I can understand the state you found yourself in..... I work with patients that many just want to cut their hair off, but I try to help save it for some. I suggests SMT's and deep treatments. Pay special attention to scalp. Moisturize as needed. The EF that comes from the stress of illness is common. Just consentrate on getting healthy and the hair will improve too. B vitamins and c for stress as well as a good multi.
Treat yourself to any special care that you can and can afford. Spend time relaxing and meditating on getting well and heathier allover including hair. Good luck and blessings.

alkaliberry
December 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It's good to be back!

I have started taking iron supplements that my doctor has prescribed (I have anemia) so I am hoping that will 'build' me and my hair up a little and I am going to try and find a good multi vit. Some one did tell me that kelp might help as well.

Darkhorse1, I had a temp in ITU (intensive care unit or intensive therapy... I think it depends on what country you are in) I got pneumonia as a result of being on a ventilator. I had a temp of 39.6 at one time I have been informed. So that could account for some of the stress my hair suffered.

Squiggyflop: I am sorry to hear that you had the knots and tangles that came from your ITU stay. I can remember being tearful as the health care assistant chopped them out. I was lucky as it was the hair at the bck of my neck that knotted so I can kind of hide the less full bits.

I have been delving through my dresser drawers and have found out some of my old hair treatments. So far I have 2 pots of coconut oil, some jojoba oil and and some african hair oil. I think I am going to start doing lots of oil treatments. My dh will love sleeping next to a slippery headed me again! I stopped braiding my hair at night, so I am going to start that again and as we speak the silk pillow case is back on! I have even found my silk scrunchy to tie my braid up with!

I off now to catch up with all the other news on here.... some many posts to read and so many new hair toys and products to drool over and covert! ;)