PDA

View Full Version : I want to cut my hair! Thoughts? Advice?

WritingPrincess
December 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Lately, as I've been combing my hair twice every day, (and sometimes more), I've noticed my ends. The same ends that are out and about whenever I wear my ubiquitous braid. The same ends that are exposed to the elements when I wear my hair in a figure-8 with the ends hanging down. (I usually only make the 8 and secure it with a stick, leaving the ends to their own devices.) And yes, the self-same ends that have been teeming with splits, white dots, and broken ends ever since my minibraid-and-rubber-band fiasco. (More on that here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=24475).)

Last night I was combing my hair and looking at my ends. I grabbed my hair at the nape of my neck, as if I was going to make a ponytail, then I moved my hand down my hair, not sliding my hand, but grabbing it at intervals of several inches. All of a sudden I felt a somewhat dramatic point where a whole bunch of hairs must ends, because suddenly my hair gets noticeably thinner. I moved my hand up an inch, swung my hair around and looked in the mirror. My hand was an inch or two above my waist. From that point down, my hair is rife with the aforementioned splits, white dots, and broken hairs. I've done several S&D sessions in the last few days, but there seems to be no end to the splits. Which leads me to my conclusion. It's time for a big trim, a trim quite possibly over the line into the region of "cut". A trim of about six inches. For such an enormous trim/chop/cut, I need to consult my fellow long-hairs.

For a month or two, I've been thinking about dying the last inch or two of my hair dark purple. Something similar to this. Last night I realized that I'm willing to sacrifice some length in exchange for health. And now I want to cut my hair to waist length or maybe an inch higher, then dye the last couple inches. I'm not sure how much of this is boredom, but I don't think it's a big factor. I think I'd see if my mom could give me a gentle U-shaped hemline. I really don't want to wait two weeks. I suppose that means I really need to implement the 2-week-rule, but I want to get this done so that I can get started growing it back as soon as possible.

I'd like to hear your thoughts/opinions/advice.

P.S. Below is a (really low quality) picture that my mom just took of my hair, shaken down from its clip. The blue line is about where I'm thinking to cut.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/3148907486_213eef588d.jpg?v=0

jojo
December 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I think your hair is absorlutely beautiful but if you feel the need to cut back to waist which is still very long and dye the bottom bits I see no problem. You are only young once and being 13 is all about finding out about yourself and experimenting with different styles and in a years time if you do decide to cut that is, your hair will be back to the length you are now.

I know you have been thinking of dying your hair for a while so are not rushing into an impulse decision and cutting 6" might be just what you need to get your hair back on track. I would normally advise you to do regular dustings but although your hair looks very healthy to me, you are desperate for a change and I think you should go for it, if you are 100% sure.

Anje
December 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I still think you should implement the 2 week rule, because waist will feel a lot shorter to you, but I'm not going to discourage you from cutting.

Here's a thought -- what if you were to keep the length and dye the ends. You could even bleach them so that they'll dye a brighter color. Enjoy that for as long as you like, and when you're sick of the dye, cut it above the broken point. That way, you don't have to worry about whatever damage the dye causes, or losing more length than you want when you want to be rid of it.

ReddishRocks
Look at all that gorgeous, healthy hair! :) It sounds like you've really thought it through, and I'm sure you'll use a safe method to dye your hair.

What about using indigo/henna or something to dye the already damaged ends? I honestly don't know enough about it, but if you're going to cut the ends off anyway... maybe that's a way to salvage some length and still get the dye color you want?

Like I said... I don't know enough about how henna/indigo works - I'd love to hear what someone with more experience would have to say!

I guess my other concern would be about the damage working its way up your hair. I've never had hair as long as yours, but when mine was nearing waist length, I would get some pretty wicked splits that would have to be trimmed before they ruined the entire hair. If you got the 6 inch trim/cut, that would pretty much eliminate that worry, huh?

But a previous poster is right - you're young! You've got some of your best hair years ahead of you. :D It's awesome that you're starting out so well informed. I wish I had - I might still have that waist length (or longer) hair!

Tap Dancer
I like waist length. It's still considered long and it's a flattering length, IMO.

Akiko
December 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
If you don't want to wait two weeks but willing to trim ends, then why not color 1-2 inches of your ends in purple now and see if you like it or not.

If you don't like the color, trim off colored ends, which have splits and white dots. You are left with healthy hair.

You like the color but want to trim damaged ends, then trim off ends and color again. You have healthy hair with purple ends.

Just my thought.

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
how about dyeing the ends below the area you want to cut. and then if you don't like it and want to chop, you won't be losing any significant length?

oh, and your hair is amazing. i'm insanely jealous, and if you do decide to cut, at waist length it'll still look amazing.

spidermom
December 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I agree. Dye the ends purple and wait at least two weeks before you cut. Then you will learn exactly what it takes to get the color you want and whether or not it's too damaging. If it is, no harm done -- just cut it out and do not repeat.

wintersun99
December 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Another vote for dying the ends as you wish and then cutting to waist when you are tired of the dye. Personally, I love waist length and think it will be gorgeous on you. Or, another thought would be to cut half of the length that you are showing, than dye the remaining bit and THEN cut to waist when you are tired of the dye. Have fun with it! :)

Kittee
December 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wow it's really beautiful I wouldn't cut it.

Samikha
December 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I agree. Dye the ends purple and wait at least two weeks before you cut. Then you will learn exactly what it takes to get the color you want and whether or not it's too damaging. If it is, no harm done -- just cut it out and do not repeat.

This :) At least you'll know that you're determined and didn't rush into the decision, though of course you're free to do as you please. If you are determined to cut, do so! If your ends are that damaged...you shouldn't obsess about losing length, rather decide, do it and be done. And the same goes for dye as long as it isn't all over, bleach...or henna.

crystal_89
December 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I also say dye the ends now, cut later.

darkwaves
December 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think it's great that you are so adventurous and that you want to have fun this way! Go for the purple!

twilight_faerie
December 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Two week rule is always a good rule to go by. And I'd say go with the color. You're 13, it's perfectly fine to experiment with your hair. If something goes wrong, so what? It's hair; it'll grow back. Don't sweat the little things. You have your whole life ahead of you to grow your hair, so have some fun now!

Addy
December 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm falling off my chair dreaming of hair that long!

Color first, trim later! :cool: Your hair is beautiful and doesn't look damaged at all, jmo. :)

Islandgrrl
December 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I vote to dye the ends you want to cut off and see how you like it. If you love it and still want to cut, go for it. It's going to grow back and it's yours to do with what you like! Be happy with it!

lora410
December 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I would cut to hip. That way if the dye damages the ends you can then cut to waist if you want.

venividibxtchy
December 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I vote for a trim, but no dye-job, not even the ends. That looks trashy.

suicides_eve
December 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
i'll echo here, color and cut as you see fit. Your young enjoy yourself. normally i would be hollering 2 week rule but ehhh..

Xandergrammy
December 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think your hair looks lovely. I wouldn't cut it.

invisiblebabe
December 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Or, another thought would be to cut half of the length that you are showing, than dye the remaining bit and THEN cut to waist when you are tired of the dye. Have fun with it! :)

I second this idea. :)

When I was 13, my hair was as long as yours is now, and I loved it. It sounds like you love your long hair, too! Waist length will still look long and beautiful on you.

WritingPrincess
December 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Quite a few people suggested what Akiko and Spidermom expressed rather succinctly.

If you don't want to wait two weeks but willing to trim ends, then why not color 1-2 inches of your ends in purple now and see if you like it or not.

If you don't like the color, trim off colored ends, which have splits and white dots. You are left with healthy hair.

You like the color but want to trim damaged ends, then trim off ends and color again. You have healthy hair with purple ends.

Just my thought.
I think dying first, cutting later is a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing it in that order.

Wow it's really beautiful I wouldn't cut it.
Thank you, Kittee. I swear, I get the best compliments from LHCers.

This :) At least you'll know that you're determined and didn't rush into the decision, though of course you're free to do as you please. If you are determined to cut, do so! If your ends are that damaged...you shouldn't obsess about losing length, rather decide, do it and be done. And the same goes for dye as long as it isn't all over, bleach...or henna.

Henna was suggested, but that's not really something I want to get into. Besides, I don't think henna does purple too well. :)

Really? My mother is quite aware of what is "trashy" and hadn't said anything. I appreciate your telling me. What I had been thinking was that the ends would be hidden most of the time, but when I wear my hair down (less than once a month) it could be fun. I hadn't realized it looks trashy.

HairColoredHair
December 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM

She's thirteen. It's not TRASHY, it's FUN.

Give over.

WritingPrincess, I think purple could be fun.

Elphie
December 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I agree, if you think the ends are beyond repair, color them now and have FUN! Trashy is a behavior, not a haircolor!

Enjoy yourself and take pics!

catfish
December 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
You've gotten a lot of great ideas, I too agree that dying first the ends is a great idea. In fact, dying the ends may make them look better ( less split, because the dye will fill in the ends) and they will be super shiny.

Purple ends will look super cool:D definitely not trashy.

freznow
December 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
She's thirteen. It's not TRASHY, it's FUN.

Give over.

WritingPrincess, I think purple could be fun.

I agree. I've known people with dyed ends, it by no means is anything near trashy.

I agree with the idea to dye first, then cut eventually. But I think your hair may just be going through some winter blues. That doesn't mean that the damage isn't there, but sometimes your average day-to-day damage is amplified in winter and you just need to give it an extra moisture treatment or two to compensate.

Though another thing to note is that you may think you need to cut 6 inches off, but you'll probably be surprised at how much better it feels with only 2-3 inches off, and you can always cut more later.

groque
December 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I say go for the trim. you have nice waves and I think your wurls would pop. that length is still long.

G

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
when i was 13, i wanted purple hair. my mom wouldn't budge on that.

i think it'll be a nice contrast with the color you have now. it's not trashy at all. it's not like you're bleaching to platinum blonde, teasing the sh*t out of it, then throwing a can of hairspray on that. purple is different enough to be fun, and not so bright that it'll look ridiculous.

Debra83
December 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Never had I ever consider purple or blue....but I DID go "trashy" blonde as some people would call it, but I loved it and people got used to it.....and even said they really liked it blonde, better than dark on me...but one day I looked at a picture of me with blonde hair and I felt that it made me looke older and I all of a sudden craved darker hair.

I am back to brown, but I did it with a henna that kinda gives a reddish hint to it. I definitely look younger but still want to be able to pull off a form of blonde one day. The grass is always greener or "purpler" on the other side. You'll find that out as you get older I'm sure, if you are not already experiencing that now.

Your hair is beautiful looking in the pictures, but if the bottom part is as damaged as you say...what better time to dye it purple? Then, when you want to change it, if you cut it...no great loss. And you'll still have beautiful hair. I hope one day my hair is as long as yours...whether waist length OR past. Be happy with your hair...purple or not, shorter or not...it's beautiful!!!

Debra83
December 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
when i was 13, i wanted purple hair. my mom wouldn't budge on that.

i think it'll be a nice contrast with the color you have now. it's not trashy at all. it's not like you're bleaching to platinum blonde, teasing the sh*t out of it, then throwing a can of hairspray on that. purple is different enough to be fun, and not so bright that it'll look ridiculous.

Do you regret not ever having purple hair and still want it? Why not do the ends....and then if it not "appropriate" for your work, you can always wear it up...and wear it down on your time? Don't have regrets!!!

30isthenewblack
December 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I remember your original thread on this. You have been thinking about this for ages and I think you should just do it. You're sixteen year's old and this is the time for experimentation. It's not like it will be overly damaging to your hair as you have plenty of length to spare and you're going to cut off the damage anyway. All I ask is to show us pictures :smile:

Beloved
December 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Your hair would look thick and beautiful at that length, and still very long!

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Do you regret not ever having purple hair and still want it? Why not do the ends....and then if it not "appropriate" for your work, you can always wear it up...and wear it down on your time? Don't have regrets!!!

i don't regret not having it now... i just really really wanted it at the time. i'm older, i outgrew the purple hair fascination, also, i don't want to have to worry about maintenance, which is why i don't henna or dye.

Carolyn
December 30th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I'd say dye your ends now and have fun with it. Now is the time to experiment and really have fun with your hair. I think a purple braid tassel would be really fun looking. I don't think it's trashy at all and I'm old enough to be your grandmother :D

GlassEyes
December 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't cut it if you're going to dye the ends, because then you'll eventually have to ut more, and the newly-cut ends will probably be just as bad after bleaching.

I wouldn't cut to waist. xD MAybe an inch, then dye.

LutraLutra
December 30th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Dye the ends - just the very, very ends. Then cut it a little if you feel the need. If you really, really, really want to do this then do it, it's fun and if it does wrong then you've only lost a few months growth from your very long hair. If/when you do it, post pics, we want to see the results. :)

Tressie
December 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Lots of good advice already here and I really think that you should go ahead with the purple and see how it turns out! As has been said, you can always trim later.

I would do small trims (or have Mom do it) and then you can stop whenever you feel satisfied as to the condition and length........rather than one big chop. It has always helped me to go slowly and take off a little and then a little more! Sort of sneak up on it! LoL! Good luck and God bless!

Xandergrammy
December 30th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Another grandmother here! :waving: I didn't realize how young you are. Now is the time to experiment and have fun. I think purple on the ends would look beautiful and not trashy at all.

Beldaran
December 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Coming from someone who has had blue highlights and dyed the bottom chunk of her hair fire truck red, I say go for the purple, trim it off later. I knew someone who bleached the bottom 3" of her dark brown hair and then dyed it hot pink and it was awesome.

And to be honest, there are people in this world that think hair longer than BSL is "trashy" so I'd go with what you want over listening to others. (This includes myself)

Personally I'm a fan of Special Effects dye, I usually leave it on over night and it becomes darn near permanent on my blonde hair. Pretend it's a treatment and wear a hat or heating cap and keep it warm, that'll help it stay longer.

MusingFrog
December 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm with the majority of people who are saying dye now, decide if you like it, then cut and dye again if you really liked the look. I've never dyed before, but doing it on hair that you are probably going to trim anyway is good because you can figure out how to get the color you want on hair that is expendable instead of the good healthy hair.

It sounds like you've thought it through; I wouldn't bother to wait until you dye. However, I would wait to cut and dye the nicer hair purple for a good month. Just to make sure you really want the color on the healthy ends.

twilight_faerie
December 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Wait, so you're saying that dyeing your hair, no matter what the color, is trashy?

Wow.

Well, I'm pretty sure that if everyone decided not to do something because someone told them it was trashy, people would be a lot less adventurous and the world would be pretty boring. I've always loved the way unnaturally colored hair looked, in a world full of browns and blacks and blonds.

Go for the awesome dye, and don't worry about what people might say about it.

Periwinkle
December 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm going to agree with everyone who's said dye now, then cut later and re-dye if you want to. Since you're thinking of losing some length anyway, you'll at least have damage-free length if you cut, and if you totally screw up the dye or you don't like it when it's done, it won't have done any harm.

WritingPrincess
December 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
1. Measure your hair. Measure next goal length. The knowledge that you are a measly "3 (at "38) from classic length may dissuade you of any plans to cut your hair.

2. Once armed with measurements, avoid calculating approximate growing time until next goal. The knowledge that you are an entire 6 months from classic length may partially or fully negate any effect Step #1 may have had.

3. Reassess your former plans and decide you will do intensive, weekly S&Ds, waiting to cut until classic. You are now back to your original plans, which include hurrying to classic length as quickly as possible, then maintaining there for awhile.

spidermom
December 31st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Not trashy to me either. Months ago I saw a young woman in the grocery store. The bottom third of her waist-length hair was a deep, royal purple-blue, otherwise dark ash blonde. It looked so good. If not for the fact I would be copying somebody else, I would have done something like that to my hair; I liked it so much.

KC83
December 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
I wouldnt cut more than 2 inches if I were you. I cut my hair a few times in the past and always regretted it. Id say just trim and leave it alone.

Pegasus Marsters
December 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
If you're going to dye the last few inches how about you do that BEFORE you cut. That way if you don't like it you can chop it without losing more length then you were planning for.

Take off an inch or so at a time if you must cut.. you may find you're willing to stop sooner than you realised.

Ignore the comment about it being trashy. :rolleyes: Dye your hair all you want! It's your hair, I say go for it. It's great fun to mess with dye and you should do it whilst you're young enough not to have to worry about it affecting job prospects.

Some people need to learn that if they can't say anything nice they shouldn't say anything at all.

Debra83
December 31st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I remember your original thread on this. You have been thinking about this for ages and I think you should just do it. You're sixteen year's old and this is the time for experimentation. It's not like it will be overly damaging to your hair as you have plenty of length to spare and you're going to cut off the damage anyway. All I ask is to show us pictures :smile:

Hi 30isthenewblack! This one is only 13 year old...are you thinking of a different poster?

Teacherbear
January 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hey girl! I vote you go ahead and do the color now. If you don't like it, you can trim it off and trim off the damage. If you really like it, then trim and redye the ends.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year, Writing Princess!! :flowers:

WritingPrincess
January 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
If you're going to dye the last few inches how about you do that BEFORE you cut. That way if you don't like it you can chop it without losing more length then you were planning for.

Take off an inch or so at a time if you must cut.. you may find you're willing to stop sooner than you realised.

Ignore the comment about it being trashy. :rolleyes: Dye your hair all you want! It's your hair, I say go for it. It's great fun to mess with dye and you should do it whilst you're young enough not to have to worry about it affecting job prospects.

Some people need to learn that if they can't say anything nice they shouldn't say anything at all.
Pegs, I didn't find Venividibxtchy's comment rude. My mother is careful about what is trashy, or as she puts it, "in bad taste".

Hi 30isthenewblack! This one is only 13 year old...are you thinking of a different poster?
I think 30isthenewblack *is* talking about me. :lol: A lot of people think I'm 16. :)

Hey girl! I vote you go ahead and do the color now. If you don't like it, you can trim it off and trim off the damage. If you really like it, then trim and redye the ends.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year, Writing Princess!! :flowers:
Thanks, Tbear! I think that's what I'm going to do.

Happy New Year, everyone!

swiftbn
January 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
i feel that one ought to do whatever they feel that they are eager enough to do to their hair; in the long run after you have cut it, youll find out if it was a serious mistake or not.

Sissy
January 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
I think you're hair looks beautiful as is... but would also look beautiful cut back as you've lined out as well. Either way it's fantastic hair!

Isilme
January 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
dye now, grow to classic if that's what you want and maintain there later with or without redoing the purple ends. I'm dying to dye my ends purple but I'll wait until classic...

Starr
January 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I say dye the ends purple and enjoy it, if you don't like it, it can be cut out.

That being said, I just cut another 4 inches off in exchange for nice split free ends- so now I'm back at tailbone, again, sigh. I cut off all 8 inches of growth this year in exchange for health, so I know how frustrating it can be when you get close to your goal.

Maybe you could cut off only a few inches at a time- you'll have nice new ends every so often and still gain some length.

Pegasus Marsters
January 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I hope you post pics after you dye it. I bet it'll look great. :face:

Peggy E.
January 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
This has gotten lengthy, so I'm afraid this has been suggested - but why not dye the ends purple before you trim/cut?

I have a feeling you may well be wanting to cut off the dyed ends at some point and when this occurs, you will again be looking at cutting more from the ends and your hair length will be reduced even more.

Of course, if you dye the ends as they are now and you end up madly in love with the look and know you're going to want to keep it forever (with long hair, this is not so much of a joke.....), then go ahead with your trim, dye the ends again and enjoy!

If you find you don't really love the look and want it forever, trim off the ends as planned and concentrate on growing your now healthy, strong long hair!

jastark84
January 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous! I would take eveyones advice and use the 2 week rule. I just did a fairly big damage removal chop (5") this afternoon, but I had been thinking about it for a month!

sichumor
January 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
First of all, your hair is very beautiful. If you notice damaged ends, though, you should really cut them off. Your hair will look even better and it will grow better too. If there are breaks and splits, it will keep breaking and splitting up the shaft. Your hair will still be very long, but why have long hair if it's not looking it's beautiful best??? If you notice the ends, believe me, everyone else will notice them too.

joyfulmom4
January 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I think I'd dye the ends purple now and see how you like it. Then if you hate purple, just do the trim and you won't be damaging any hair with the dye process (that isn't already damaged, that is). If you love the dye and still want the trim, trim it and dye the rest. Otherwise, if you don't love the purple or you get tired of it, you can trim off the ends and you'll have nice, healthy, untouched-by-chemicals, hair. :)

Rae~
January 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Have you decided what to do, yet? :flower:

Alia
January 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
First of all, your hair is gorgeous as-is :). I agree with the dye-first-cut-later group, but it's your hair, so do what makes you happiest.