PDA

View Full Version : Will everyone's hair grow long if taken care of?

newport
December 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I always wondered if some of it is genetic- like Crystal Gale- the singer from years ago who sang-who was known for her floor length hair. I wonder how long my hair will grow- or will there be a stopping point?? Anyone really know?

levelek
December 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
There is such a thing as terminal length, but it varies from person to person. You can only find yours out if you go for it! ;) (and take care of it in the process so it really does reach its full potential.)

Alaskanheart
December 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think the term lhcers use is terminal length.I dont think everyone has a terminal length of Crystal Gale, but most people can grown at least to waist.It is genetic, but taking care of your hair will allow you to see the full potential, rather than not taking care of hair, and watching it break off before it even has a chance.

Alaskanheart
December 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
There is such a thing as terminal length, but it varies from person to person. You can only find yours out if you go for it! ;) (and take care of it in the process so it really does reach its full potential.)

Lol, posted almost exact comment at the same time.:)

newport
December 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies!

Periwinkle
December 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I believe that the 'normal' terminal length is supposed to be classic (something about half an inch of growth per month being average and each hair lasting for about 6 years, which works out at 36", which is roughly classic) but it varies wildly.

Darkhorse1
December 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
It's all about genetics. If you looked at Crystal Gayle's photo album, I'm sure she had a mom and grandmother with long hair. My family has hair that grows like a weed, whereas I know some people whose hair stops at bra strap length. So, everyone's terminal growth is different and largely based on genetics. Hope that helps :)

Kirin
December 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Everyone's hair grows, weather you take care of it or not. The care involved will determine how much of that growth adds to length and how much is lost due to breakage. Each person has a set androgen phase for their hair (i believe that is what it is called) which is the terminal point in which a hair stops growing and then falls out.

How long this is is determined by genetics.

suicides_eve
December 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
not everybody's does some people hair can stop around shoulder length or bra strap length. I had a guy friend who grew his hair out and it stayed the same length forever right around apl he keep it like that that for years until he got in the military...

Anje
December 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I doubt Patrick Stewart's will.....:wigtongue

Kirin
December 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
not everybody's does some people hair can stop around shoulder length or bra strap length. I had a guy friend who grew his hair out and it stayed the same length forever right around apl he keep it like that that for years until he got in the military...

His hair has hit its terminal length there, which is determined by genetics. His hair however, is still in phases of growing, as when a hair reaches maximum length, it will shed and the follicle will create a new hair. The follicles do this at random patterns, which is why we don't go bald all at once.

Pierre
December 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Each person has a set androgen phase for their hair (i believe that is what it is called)
Anagen. The other phases are catagen and telogen. Androgen is what turns a fetus into a baby boy.

Alun
December 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Everyone's hair grows, weather you take care of it or not. The care involved will determine how much of that growth adds to length and how much is lost due to breakage. Each person has a set androgen phase for their hair (i believe that is what it is called) which is the terminal point in which a hair stops growing and then falls out.

How long this is is determined by genetics.

You mean anagen, I think. (Spelling?)

Androgens are male hormones, so called, although women have a little bit of them too (people who don't have any atall are lacking in sex drive).

PS: Crystal Gayle has a rare condition where her hairs have no life cycle but just keep growing indefinitely. Everyone else's hairs each have an individual life cycle of about 12 years, according to all the literature, but I think we have a lot of people here who's hair grows for more time than that, so I think the traditional number is actually an underestimate.

Redheaded Raven
December 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
My mom used to have hair that stopped at bsl, couldn't get past that, but with what she has learned here at LHC she has gotten to tailbone. She has cut some to rid of fairytale ends and it Looks shorter due to increase in curl, but her hair is growing past what she would have considered terminal. :cheese:Better treatment = better hair! And I think she has beautiful hair!

Stubborn
December 30th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I think everybody can at least get to shoulder length.