PDA

View Full Version : To dye or not to dye

BigDreams
December 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
That is the question!

Dilemma:
My natural colour is a dark, ashy blonde. Right now I have hi-low lites that cover all my hair, giving it an almost platnum blonde with strawberry blonde look. Underneath was a brown/red solid, but it has faded quit abit.

I haven't beenable to decide what to do with my hair, and I now have a few inches of roots. I was thinking about getting it dyed back to it's natural colour but 1)What if they can't match it and it doesn't come out right and 2)My hair is so dead, I'm iffy about dying it again.

What are your opinions? Should I just let it grow out? I'm tired of my friends reminders of how 'trashy' it looks, but they aren't that close of friends anyway (clearly).

Anje
December 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
If your hair is rather fried, I'd stay away from dyeing for a while. Give it some moisture and protein treatments and work with it so that it feels better.

If you feel like messing around with colors, I'd encourage you to try plant-based dyes, like henna, cassia, indigo, and buxus. You might be able to get something close to your natural color and you'll get some strength and conditioning rather than further-trashed hair. Unfortunately, strand tests are the only guide you'll get to what color a given mix will turn your hair.

Albrun
December 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I would just let it grow. Your roots may bleach a litle nthe sun net year and will match better. And the length will be trimmed if necessary.

albrun

kelsoberry
December 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Can you post a picture? Roots on dyed hair are a personal pet peeve of mine, but I understand the dilemma of not traumatizing your hair any more than it already is. If its really bad, a two-toned hair might look terrible. If its not that bad though, you may be able to just re-adjust the color levels of a few key places so that as the rest grows out it'll be less noticable.

patience
December 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'm going through the same thing right now. Dull ashy, dishwater blonde is growing out. I haven't seen it in ...umm...22 years and I have realized there are more greys than I thought. I'm pushing through a few more months then I may have a hairdresser put more lowlights in the bleached part or try to color match the natural but I haven't decided yet. So, I guess that's not much help :) Just letting you know you're not alone.

I'm trying to condition it as much as I can and hope for the best.

Katze
December 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Personally, I would not dye. As someone with a similar dye-ing past, I always got frustrated with darker color and roots and would end up dyeing...then wondered why my hair never grew longer or was in good shape! If you look at my profile pic you can very clearly see my hair after 2.5 years without dyeing. The ends look like highlights when I have my hair down and I really don't mind them. Oh, and I like my natural color now too, for the first time in decades!

Every time you dye you are getting back on the dye bandwagon, so to speak, meaning you have to keep dyeing. In your case, as in mine, you're bleaching too, so your hair is getting more damaged than it would be from "just" dye. It sounds like you have a pretty and interesting natural color - why not see what it looks like on its own?

Of course, whether you want to keep doing so is your choice! And yes, there are people here who dye and have relatively healthy hair...but for my fine, thin hair which was also heat-damaged, I had to put down the dye and walk away.

wintersun99
December 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM

spidermom
December 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I would quit messing with the color and let my hair grow out, with regular trimming. I've never minded the two or more toned look. Natural hair color is rarely one continuous color from root to ends. When I lift my ends to compare with the hair at my scalp, the colors are radically different.

Curlsgirl
December 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
It is your choice but if the two-toned look isn't for you then I don't see anything wrong with getting some lowlights for a while to blend in the new growth more naturally or even dying the ends to match the roots. I would definitely go to someone who knows exactly what they are doing though!

RocketDog
December 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I struggled with a similar situation for a while - I hated the brassy, old faded ends but was afraid of damaging the healthy virgin hair growing in. I did a bunch of deep conditioning treatments over about a month's time and got my hair feeling as healthy as I could, then purchased my own dye and just applied it JUST to the parts of my hair that were previously dyed. I have had one too many bad dye experiences at salons to leave my hair in someone else's hands... and I'm a control freak to the MAX about my hair anyways :P

I chose a dye that was just slightly ashier than my virgin hair, to counteract the brassiness. It worked out PERFECTLY for me, and even my family didn't realize that half my length was dyed - it looks great. You could always look for a semi- or demi-permanent dye to cover up your highlights without having to commit to a permanent dye, just in case the color isn't spot-on.

BigDreams
December 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the opinions!
I tried getting pictures on, but for some reason I couldn't upload them.

I love my natural colour....atleast I think I did. It' been a different colour for so long it's hard to imagine my hair that colour again! I'll give myself a couple of week to be sure, but I think I might get her to dye it as close to my natural colour as possible and hope it works out. That way even if it's alittle different, it'll be closer and not so obvious when the roots grow in (I hope!)