PDA

View Full Version : Gaarghh, a split!

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I don't do S&D because I can never find splits in my hair, and I probably didn't have any until recently, but I found one today and don't have anything with which to cut it! :mad: This brings me to my next point: would nail scissors work, if I bought a new pair (I say this because the only hair scissors I've found are 16 pounds and I'm a student and can't afford that) that had never been used before? Alternatively, where might I get cheap hair scissors in the UK?

Anje
March 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Check a place like Boots -- they might have them for cheaper. Lots of pharmacies/chemists around here carry them near the brushes and hair accessories.

ETA: I don't have much basis for saying this, but I'd imagine that if you can't find hair scissors, a decent pair of scissors specifically made for cutting fabric might work really well, too. Those are made to be sharp to prevent fraying, just like hair scissors.

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
It was Boots where I saw the expensive ones, but they might have cheaper ones hiding somewhere. Or Superdrug, I think that's usually cheaper.

I remember being terrified of what would happen if I ever used my mum's sewing scissors to cut paper, as that was expressly forbidden when I was wee ^_^ This was, of course, because the blades would dull, much like hair scissors.

Lixie
March 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I got a pair of hair scissors form Superdrug for about £7 a couple of years ago, they were really good quality.

I don't know if nail scissors would work, especially as it seems most types availible have curved blades rather than straight. Anje's suggestion of fabric scissors is a good one too.

kimki
March 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Apparently sewing scissors are good for hair too. But I don't know if they would be any cheaper.

Anje
March 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I also got interesting threats about using Mum's sewing scissors for pretty much anything. But I've seen what dull sewing scissors are like and I've seen what sharp ones are like. It makes a huge difference on fabric, and I'll bet it's a good example of what happens with hair and dull/sharp scissors.

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I got a pair of scissors for less than four quid from Superdrug, they seem pretty good. Now I just need to work out how to find the splits. I can find them on the bottom of my hair, but if they're higher up I don't understand the twisting method because I have lots of layers.

Shorty89
March 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I use dollar store scissors myself :whistle: but I use them just for my S&D and they work just fine.