PDA

View Full Version : Waterpark hair protection?

Magdalene
December 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Any suggestions? It's an indoor park, so sun isn't a concern. Chlorine is.

I have the usual assortment of oils...

Elphie
December 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Saturate your hair with regular water and coat it with conditioner.

Have fun, I'm more of a lazy river gal, myself. Those slides terrify me!

Curlsgirl
December 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Oooooooooooooooo I love water parks! I would just treat it like you would if you went swimming in a regular pool which by the way kills my hair shudder:

Wet it down with plain water really good before so that your hair absorbs that water instead of the chlorine water. If it starts to dry out I would wet it again with plain water if possible. You could put a bit of oil and conditioner in it but that is contraversial since it can be bad for the pool system. I braid mine, usually a snug English braid so if I need to redo it it's fairly easy and quick. If you have bangs you will want to pin them back as well probably.

I assume you don't want to wear a swim cap which would be way better for your hair. I don't like the way they look but if you don't mind then go for it! If I were going to be swimming all the time I would definitely use one.

Whatever you do have fun!!!

berr
December 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I can't seem to find a swim cap that will fit over my big head.

Can you soak your hair, then oil it and put it up in some sort of dorag or tie the ends in a baggie of of some sort?

Have fun. I've been looking at some indoor type waterpark things and they look fun. I wish my kids were young. Those Great Wolf Lodges look like something that would make mom real popular.

ReddishRocks
December 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yay water parks!!! If I was really worried, I'd wear a swim cap. There are some insanely cute ones out there... When I was learning to swim at the local pool, and before I got my cap, I would do what other posters have said - wet my hair with tap water, then put in a leave-in or something with oils. I would then put my hair in a protective bun - the kind that left only my under-hairs exposed.

Sissy
December 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Those are good suggestions. I was going to say exactly the same thing... run it under cold tap water just before getting into the pool water. Also, shampoo and condition with the special swim hair care products right after you get out of the water and be sure to condition well. I think this is OK to go without a swim cap, unless your hair and scalp is extremely sensitive to chlorine. I think if you were to be swimming all the time for an extended period of time a swim cap would be necessary.

Have fun!

happymommy
December 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Doesn't Club Soda poured on your hair after swimming help with the chlorine removal? I seem to recall reading that in a magazine article.

Then again, it's midnight and I might be imagining I read it somewhere, lol :)

eclecticaurora
December 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM
What I have found works for me is: wet the hair with fresh water, then saturate it with coconut oil (have also used jojoba oil, but coconut seems to work better for me) and shea butter. Then it goes up into a bun or braid and forgotten about while swimming (I don't swim much) and having fun. Then afterwards I go straight for the shower and run fresh water over it and wash it with Aubrey Organics Swimmer's Shampoo and use their conditioner. After I will put a leave in conditioner (my fave is Giovanni Organic Hair Care Direct Leave-In weightless moisture conditioner) and seal it off with coconut oil or jojoba oil on the ends.

PS: I have tried to use swim caps, but have yet to be able to find any that don't pull or break my hair.

jojo
December 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Wet and oil and oil, then braid thats what I do when I go swimming. Have a fun day!

Magdalene
December 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
lol I don't like swimming, so I don't have any normal routine for it :)

This is purely for DH's benefit!

Katze
December 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I swim, and use a silicone cap. It doesn't keep my hair dry, but it does keep it from getting tangled and matted, which it does without a cap even if it is braided.

Oh, and the normal silicone cap from the sporting goods store fit over my massive (size 7 5/8ths) head. I can't fit into most womens' hats, but this cap stretches, and over time has gotten more comfortable. I don't mind wearing it at all, but I also look good bald. :D

For a one-time swimming event, probably a lot of heavy conditioner left in on dirty hair is your best bet, then secure your hair as tightly as you can.