PDA

View Full Version : Warning: stupid question

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 03:00 AM
This is probably a very stupid question, but why does fine hair split more than coarser hair? I can understand why it would break more easily, as in a horizontal break, the same way a strand of cotton thread will break more easily than a strand of yarn, because it's finer. However, shouldn't coarse hair, because it's coarser, split more easily because there's more of it to split? Am I making any sense or just rambling incoherently?

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM
yes thats exactly why. fine hair is more delicate think of a baby's hair, yet coarse hair is thicker so can withstand stuff like harsh weather etc.

So say you put a piece of cotton in a glass of bleach and did the same with some fishing line, the piece of cotton would be damaged more.

Hope im making sence!

Katze
March 26th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I think, as JoJo mentions, there is just less to resist damage, bending, etc.

It really isn't fair, but that seems to be the way it is. If I could have coarse hair, I would. :P

Schnee
March 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I don't think fine/coarse is the only reason, but also how supple the hair is. My hair is fairly fine, but very elastic and doesn't get damaged easily. A friend's hair is much coarser, but is also more brittle and breaks and splits easily. :)

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the responses, that does make more sense now.

Schnee: I've noticed this, too. I've got fine hair, but I've only ever found one split, and that was on a shed hair.

Awalia
March 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, fine hair does not have to be weaker than coarse. My hair seems to stand everything, even thou it's fine!

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I don't think fine/coarse is the only reason, but also how supple the hair is. My hair is fairly fine, but very elastic and doesn't get damaged easily. A friend's hair is much coarser, but is also more brittle and breaks and splits easily. :)

ive just put this to the test with my fine hair and it does stretch quite a bit but then mine is all virgin. If i was to test a fine, dyed hair against a coarse dyed hair, id bet the coarse would win. Maybe genetics plays a part?

forgot to say before florenonite but theres no such thing as a silly question!

Naluin
March 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Too add my own :twocents:, I have fine hair and I've only noticed one split in my life and that was after some rigorous chemical frying.

emeraldjoy
March 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have related stupid question. Is suppleness (is that a word??) genetic or is it related to how kind you are too it? Is there anything I can do to make it more durable?

Lamb
March 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I would say it also depends on texture. My fine, curly hair is fairly strong, but I cannot get a brush through it without half a dozen splits. So curly=handle-with-care, no matter how fine/coarse. Oh and I agree on the suppleness issue. Buildup which makes the ends stiff and hard is a surefire way to splits.

girlcat36
March 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
My hair is fine and(I think) fragile, yet I rarely get splits. I would think that I would get tons of them, but I don't. Maybe when I get past BSL they will show up. I used to get a few in the past when I used cones.

Blueglass
March 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I find my greys are coarse, and lack tinsel strength. They are brittle and split even when still short. My fine hair always goes the distance, because it is very elastic. I really don't know what to do if this continues.

sapphire-o
March 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
My theory is slippery hair split less, frictional hair tend to get more damaged. That mostly depends on the way the cuticles (scales) lay on your hair shaft. Hair have different textures, more slip means less friction, tangles and less damage. At least that sounds reasonable to me. :D

Lamb
March 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
That made me think. Just how many splits are "okay"? I find I have about 2 in, like, 15 strands. Small splits, and mostly in the sides, where my hair is the most fragile and where I still have some short layers. I cannot do an S&D all over my head, as my hair is too short but I am also afraid to go to a salon for a shearing... Should I just stop obsessing, pamper my hair and hope I can avoid getting more splits?

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
My hair is coarse and it has been splitting very badly as of late.
I have always gotten splits randomly, but I guess I'm taking less...
precise care of it, and it is getting angry and yelling at me with
splits as a response.

rymorg2
March 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, let me add my :twocents: as a stylist....

There are a bunch of things that affect how your hair splits. The fineness/coarseness is one.....this is because fine hair is usually missing a layer of the hair....there are three layers to the hair and most fineys are missing the cortex. The hair is made up of the cuticle, cortex, and medulla. This makes the hair more fragile. Also the slippery thing goes into it. And yes, what you choose to do to your hair affects it as well; heat styling, chemical use, and just plain being rough. And the suppleness (aka elasticity, which is how much your hair will stretch safely) goes into it too. And some people just don't split as much. Me....I always have splits, even after a good cut. Bottom line is.......everyone is different. Your hair also changes. You have to make the decision as to what you're willing to do to it.

:)

starfire
March 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
My hair is fairly coarse and I have a bunch of splits! :(

Beatnik Guy
March 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM
There are no stupid questions... :wink:

My hair is coarse -- and pretty strong -- but I get a lot of splits, partly I think because it also has a tendancy to dryness (it sucks up jojoba like it's, I dunno, something good for sucking up). I don't dust nearly as often as I ought to either; maybe this w/end? :wigtongue

jessie58
March 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM
My hair is medium/coarse and I seldom ever get splits, in fact, I'm shocked when I see one and then I look all over my head and can't find another.

My hair is BSL and I wonder if length plays a part in it. The longer the hair, the more prone to splits?
Longer hair is older hair and has been exposed to the elements for a longer time, combed more, brushed more, manipulated more, etc.

Alun
March 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have fine hair that splits as soon as you look at it. I don't heat treat my hair and have never used any chemicals on it, but that makes no difference.