PDA

View Full Version : Question about Classic Length!

Oberon88
December 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I am curious about where the name 'Classic' came from. Every other name comes from where your hair falls on your body. Besides "Below Buttocks Length" being unappealing, I figured there was more to the name.
I am pretty sure it comes from the classical/renaissance paintings that depicted female subjects with hair of that length. But is this just a romanticized version of hair? Is there proof that women did commonly grow their hair to great lengths?
People weren't so healthy back then, was their hair capable of growing so long? Or since people were afraid of bathing was their hair allowed to grow freely?

jojo
December 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I think you are quite right that it comes from the renaissance era. I am interested in finding this out too. I love the classic length and would love to get there.

Phalaenopsis
December 28th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hmm, I never thought about that. But I think the health of rich people wasn't that bad. And mostly rich people got painted, I think.
Hair always has been seen as a sign of wealth and health, so I think only rich women could have had the time and the health for classic length hair.

Girltron
December 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hair length fashions have varied through the years, but definitely it's not a correct assumption that "people weren't so healthy back then" meaning in the Renaissance. During the plague years in the Middle Ages I'd say malnourishment was a widespread problem, but there was a lot of prosperity in the Renaissance.

Now the paintings you're talking about: For a good reference for Italian Renaissance hair fashions, see the paintings of Domenico Ghirlandaio. He habitually worked portraits of local nobility into his paintings. Here's a good example: http://www.topofart.com/images/artists/Domenico_Ghirlandaio/paintings/ghirlandaio002.jpg so I'd say Florentine women during Ghirlandaio's lifetime had a fashion for long hair. Perhaps not REALLY long, but reasonably so.

That's not "classical" though. The world "Classical" refers to the collective history of ancient Greece and Rome. Hair fashions changed a lot throughout the history of ancient Greece but generally it's not seen very long; women used a lot of false hair and made quite elaborate hair styles with it. I can't think of a single example of Greek art that shows a woman with hair at what we call "classic" length.

Roman styles were also habitually filled out with hair rats, and mostly called for rather medium-length hair that would be long enough to braid and curl but not long enough to show up in a really big bun in the back.

So when you look at the Romantic paintings of "classical" women and they show ultra long hair, I think that's a 19th century sentimental view. Classic length and longer hair isn't as handy for those elaborate ancient 'do's. There's tons of those Romantic paintings to look at, all with lovely flowing hair and so on. Maybe the term "classic" refers to those 19th-early 20th century artists who chose classical subjects and often showed long flowing hair. Think of J. W. Waterhouse.

I think the term Classic comes from George Michael, who was probably thinking of those Romantic painters. Of course he might also have meant "Classic" like time-tested and beautiful, and attainable by most people...which was something he talked about with that length goal.

joyfulmom4
December 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I had never heard the term "classic length" until I found LHC.

Heidi_234
December 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I assumed classic length is called so because it is terminal length for alot of people. So in earlier times, when cutting your hair wasn't socially acceptable thing as today, classic length was the most common length.
My Grandmother knew (to my big surprise) what 'Classic length' is, so it's surely quite old term.

Fluke
December 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm not writing off the possibility that classic lenght came from Romantic paintings. After all, Classic length hair fits with the Golden Section in proportion to the body.
BSL is the other length were the Golden section would apply in proportion to the body, with "body length" and hair length switched around :)

Anje
December 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Is it possible that it's a George Michael term, or does it pre-date him?

Lady Lilya
December 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm not writing off the possibility that classic lenght came from Romantic paintings. After all, Classic length hair fits with the Golden Section in proportion to the body.
BSL is the other length were the Golden section would apply in proportion to the body, with "body length" and hair length switched around :)

How awesome!

So, if you have classic length hair, the ratio of your hair to your body is the same as the ratio of the distance between the hair and the floor to the length of your hair.

hair length = distance from hair to the floor
body .............. hair length

But that means it is a little different for people based on whether they have a long or short torso.

Girltron
December 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Cutting the hair has always been socially acceptable. Only the fashions for HOW long have changed through history.

Sissy
December 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I had never heard of the term classic before LHC either. I think those origins are very interesting though. Classic is the length I would like to achieve... classic with a blunt hemline!:eyebrows:

talecon
December 28th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I'm still learning the longhair language but I think classic length is my goal too since I wanted just below the buttcheek. classic length sounds better ;) lol

ATrixie
January 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM
ha ha my hair is 'classic' now (I think?) or maybe even a bit longer... /so that's why I went and researched these threads../

my grandma reportedly had knee-length hair though (so I'm thinking of maybe doing the same) she was small and tiny, a farmer, not rich, worked all her life - maybe my hair is now as long as her knee-length hair was? :) later in life she had short hair though, that's how I remember her.. but before, her hair was VERY long... long hair isn't as handy for doing SOME work, yup, depends on the hairstyle too, neck or back may hurt, especially in some poses, so that might be part of why she cut it..

anyhoo, just wanted to post that at least SOME people had VERY long hair in the past too..!! :)

Dark40
April 29th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I also came across "classic length" when I joined LHC too. I've always looked at hair length underneath the buttocks as butt length. I love that length.