PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic on undyed/unbleached hair?

SeaPhoenix
December 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Haha - I'm back again sniffing out other potential options for playing with colored hair, but without permanence, hair damage, or bad reactions.

I've read up a bit on Manic Panic dyes, and most everyone reports them as being ultra gentle and conditioning on the hair... that the only actual damage from them comes from the bleaching process that many folks use to get the vivid colors to show up brightly...

I'm not interested in the bright vivid bleach versions of the colors.. and I found 2 pictures on the manic panic website that showed folks with brown hair that used manic panic (one used vampire red, and the other used hot hot pink). Here are the links:

Vampire Red on virgin, brown hair
http://www.manicpanic.com/images2/bestofbest/vampred5.jpg

Hot Hot Pink on virgin, brown hair
http://www.manicpanic.com/images2/bestofbest/hhpink10.jpg

Though the pink is interesting - and I might be tempted to try it just for fun... I'm really interested in the Vampire Red results on brown hair... I miss red - but still am not really ready to jump back in the henna pool... I just want to mess with something that won't stick around long at all.. and Manic Panic on undyed hair seems to have a very short life span in terms of it washing out fast.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum here has had experience using Manic Panic on unbleached, virgin hair? And even more importantly, anyone who's sensitive to regular chemical hair dyes - was Manic Panic truly as gentle and non-damaging as it's reported to be - to both scalp and hair?

HairColoredHair
December 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
On my unbleached, virgin ends, (light brown/dark blonde) the turquoise yielded a very bright color that ended up being rather... permanent. My hair soaks up color.

Bene
December 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
i've tried manic panic once, it didn't take very welll, but i had almost black virgin hair at the time. all i noticed was a mild reddish sheen in sun light or bright lights. i don't recall any adverse affects on my hair or scalp. i guess i'm not being all that helpful.

anyway, the only reason i'm posting in here it to warn you. manic panic is like a mean practical joke we play on ourselves. no matter how long you rinse, it's still leaving coloring on your towels several washing afterward... not to mention what it does to your tub/sink.

OhioLisa
December 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I am still trying to get some pink out that I used back in August. It is finally getting better... after about 5 honey treatments. It's still there though. I wouldn't recommend it. :twocents:

SeaPhoenix
December 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Woa.... a wee bit too permanent sounding still for me...
I guess there really probably isn't such a thing as a wash out color that's safe and gentle...

iris
December 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone on the forum here has had experience using Manic Panic on unbleached, virgin hair?
I used it for six months or so on my virgin roots to match my hennaed length as I was growing out the henna. I used Manic Panic, and Stargazer (similar stuff but a different brand that I could get locally). I was surprised/shocked at how vivid the color was without bleaching. My natural color is similar to yours.

I could get a perfect match to my hennaed length mixing Stargazer eggplant and rouge - it would behave exactly the same in the sun etc.

And even more importantly, anyone who's sensitive to regular chemical hair dyes - was Manic Panic truly as gentle and non-damaging as it's reported to be - to both scalp and hair?
I'm not sensitive to other dyes that I know of - I've never used oxidative dyes except once twenty years ago - but chemically they are completely different and there is no reason to think you'll be sensitive to one if you're sensitive to the other. They're completely different animals.

I never had any bleeding on towels or bedding or walking in the rain. I did see some of the color come out in every wash, but whatever stayed in after rinsing would stay in until the next wash. People have different experiences with that, this was my experience.

The color stayed vivid for about a week for me (with daily washing), after that it would start to fade noticeably. These dyes fade very unevenly IME - the colors are made up of several pigments and some of the pigments are more light resistant and resistant to washing than others. In reviews you'll usually find note of how a color fades. Some of the red colors will fade pinkish (the pink component stays longer than the orangey component), for instance. It pays to pay attention to the reported fading behavior if there are certain tones that you want to avoid.

Condition-wise, it never hurt my hair at all, and it did in the end always wash out completely for me, although for it to wash out completely could take a month rather than a week (again, with daily washing). On longer hair the color tends to stay in the more porous ends. I used blues and violets later on to cancel out the henna on the ends (which I peroxided out), and I got more unpredictable washing out there.

I ended up ditching Manic Panic and the like and switched to Elumen (same pigments but more permanent) because I actually wanted something more permanent. I also didn't like the way it made my hair feel - right after dyeing these dyes make your hair extremely glossy, but after a few washes the conditioner base would start to feel tacky and build-uppy for me. The tackiness always came out in the end, I just didn't like the feel of the intermediate stages.

All in all I think it's a great way to experiment with color - fun and commitment-free (as long as your hair is not extremely porous).

Lady Verity
December 28th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I used Manic Panic's Divine Wine on my blonde unbleached hair. It was meant to be dark burgundy. This is what I ended up with:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1393&pictureid=16443

Still pretty, but not what I wanted. :rolleyes:

kelsoberry
December 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
If you do end up using Manic Panic, be sure to stay away from anything white or very light colored. The hair color, especially the pinks and reds tend to bleed a lot more than regular dye does. I've ruined many white pillowcases and shirts this way.

kwaniesiam
December 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Not Manic Panic, but I have used the vampire red before. This is my hennaed hair with special effects blood red. It turned a nice burgundy, bloody red that is very vibrant in sunlight. Only thing is, it doesn't seem to be washing out anytime soon. I like it and plan to keep it, but if you just want it for fun it might be better to test and maybe only do a small section. There was no damage to my hair from using either brand.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0387.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0389.jpg

SeaPhoenix
December 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Much appreciation for all the info and the pictures of color examples!!

I think if there's a probability that the color would be permanent - I'll probably want to steer clear of these dyes - not positive yet though. I mean... chances are, in terms of permanent - they aren't quite nearly as permanent as henna still... I'd venture to guess a bout with Colorfix might shake the Manic Panic dye loose? Maybe? Granted... Colorfix made my hair stink for several weeks after, so this wouldn't be my ideal method... eh..

But the info is great to have - I'll definitely be eyeballing this thread for anymore inputs and updates on this dye type!

:-)

Hypnotica
December 29th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Not Manic Panic, but I have used the vampire red before. This is my hennaed hair with special effects blood red. It turned a nice burgundy, bloody red that is very vibrant in sunlight. Only thing is, it doesn't seem to be washing out anytime soon. I like it and plan to keep it, but if you just want it for fun it might be better to test and maybe only do a small section. There was no damage to my hair from using either brand.

Heh - SFX is *really* permanent. Blood Red have an annyoing tendancy tio be a wee bit purple after several applications.

Siava
December 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Ms. SeaPhoenix, I used to use vampire red on my medium brown hair. It turned out just like the picture you posted. It was a gorgeous burgandy color. Although it did fade, the red/burgandy definitely lingered. The condition of my hair was nice while using it. Soft.

It's crazy staining so I highly suggest washing it off in a stainless steel sink, your back yard, or have some bleach handy if you want to scrub out the tub. ;) ETA: The only time staining occurred was with the initial applications. Subsequent washes didn't stain.

quasitam
July 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
A very late addition to the thread but I used Vampire Red on my naturally dark blonde hair while growing out a bad bleach. It eventually washed out of the bleached ends but stuck so firmly to the virgin roots I had to have it stripped which undid all the patient growing of healthy unbleached hair I had done.

spidermom
July 18th, 2013, 09:03 AM
No problems for me. It took a long time for the color to fade away completely, but fade away it did.

Sorus
July 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I find Manic Panic to be less colorfast than Special Effects. Both are essentially conditioner with food coloring in them; when I do little bleached chunks for vivid highlights the hair feels far less damaged if I keep the color bright by many applications. I used to use Manic Panic and Special Effects as a conditioning treatment on my ends.

As far as color bleeding, if you actually rinse all the extra off your hair the first time you wash you won't get any bleeding, but it takes some patience to wash well the first time. Use a gentle shampoo, and keep lathering and rinsing until the 'poo lathers white and the water rinses clear. This will take some time, so just relax and enjoy the shower. When I was doing a lot of coloring I hung a second shower curtain between the water spray in the shower and the wall and faucets, so the colored rinse out wouldn't hit the tile. A spray bottle with very diluted bleach is your friend.

You can also add some dye to conditioner and do a Manic Panic gloss instead of a full application. When I had much more color in my hair I'd keep it vibrant by COing with conditioner+dye. My hair is naturally medium brown, and purple dye would make it look dark auburn indoors and shine purple in the sun. I found that the dye would wash out of my virgin hair completely, but the bleached bits would never go back to blonde, just pastel.

Firefox7275
July 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM
As far as color bleeding, if you actually rinse all the extra off your hair the first time you wash you won't get any bleeding, but it takes some patience to wash well the first time. Use a gentle shampoo, and keep lathering and rinsing until the 'poo lathers white and the water rinses clear. This will take some time, so just relax and enjoy the shower. When I was doing a lot of coloring I hung a second shower curtain between the water spray in the shower and the wall and faucets, so the colored rinse out wouldn't hit the tile. A spray bottle with very diluted bleach is your friend.

To add to this: I was told by several people on a hair dye forum the shade I use, La Riche Directions Rose Red, is very transferry or bleeds (comes off on clothing, pillows, etc) and does fade. That has not been my experience at all: I had a little transfer onto my pillowcase the first time but no problem with clothing, still have super bright and rich colour two to four months after dying.

I don't have wonderfully healthy hair, it is porous so should take and lose colour fairly easily and I am too lazy to wash until the water runs clear! I suspect the colour endurance is is down to my haircare regime being quite different to the 'norm'. I wash in cool water, conditioner only wash no shampoo, leave in conditioner not wash out, coconut oil soaks on dry hair which may 'seal' the colour in, largely acidic products that discourage the cuticle from lifting.

Interestingly I can easily get the colour to lift again using the same weak (peroxide only, no persulphate bleach) blonde box dye that I use for my roots - I know by going over a previously dyed part. Obviously that is somewhat damaging so I'd prefer not to, but it's useful to know I can shift it if required without resorting to persulphate bleach or multiple harsh shampoos (not an option with eczematous skin).

HTH someone who is doing strand tests.

Sorus
July 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Firefox's comment about acidic products reminds me; the Manic Panic website recommends doing a vinegar rinse after dyeing to help seal in the color and make it last longer. I'd forgotten, but I was also using lots of coconut oil and ACV rinses. It seems that LHC standard hair care is great for color retention!

oatmealpie
July 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM
HairCrazy (http://haircrazy.com/brand/manic-panic-hair-colour/) has great photos and info on Manic Panic, Special Effects, Directions, and other deposit dyes. If you click on just about any shade you'll see photos of that color on real people. You can also check out the gallery to see how other folks have combined colors. That's where I got a lot of my inspiration.

red-again
July 20th, 2013, 01:54 AM
The beeunique website also has a gallery that is great for specific brands/colours and they have an un bleached hair section
One thing, pink dyes seem to be very permanent. Reds less so.
My hair is darkest brown so unfortunately no effect from anything for me, I am very envious! I will just have to coo over all your pics!

Anywhere
September 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/c79516c7062a036d0f7aa96b6c1f92b0/tumblr_msgm97KegJ1sqa7wro1_500.jpg

I just did my hair in purple haze manic panic. It's not on virgin hair, I have henna'ed a few times, but it is was not bleached first.

bunnylake
September 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I used Manic Panic once over my hennaed hair and it washed out very quickly, actually.

Long_hair_bear
October 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking of using purple haze on mine. I miss my purple hair but don't want to damage with bleach.

Long_hair_bear
November 2nd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Ok, did two strand tests on my naturally brown hair, one with manic panic and one with pravana.... We'll see! Just washed the dye out, so I'm waiting on it to dry.

SwordWomanRiona
November 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I dyed my hair with Vampire Red last Spring. The colour has faded, and I have new growth at the roots, but the red is still there, more than a year after I dyed it.

Starting hair-colour is dark auburn (reddish brown with copper and golden highlights). My roots are way darker (dark reddish brown) than my length (lighter reddish brown) and ends (copper).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8667878641_f5e128dacd_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8668979528_daa0c0f435_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8684056860_cf3b4ede77_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8684056572_d3a27e8a00_z.jpg

Adiro
November 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
SwordWomanRiona, I cannot believe the beauty and length of your hair!!!! this is STUNNING!!!!
btw, the color is amazing, but is it now or just after you colored?

SwordWomanRiona
November 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Aww, thank you :cloud9:!

It's was shortly after I coloured. I still have dark red in my length, but it's faded quite a lot.

Laurenji
December 5th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Oooo, this is just the thread for me. I'm thinking of trying to dye my hair. I do like some of the brighter colors you can get with bleaching, but I don't want to damage my hair, and I don't want to have to keep up with the roots of bleaching either. So I've been wondering if these vibrant dyes are actually vibrant on unbleached hair.

I think I would want some mix of purple, red, and a little bit of orange . . . it's looking like I might actually get close to what I'm looking for, minus some of the brighter orange.

pastina
December 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM
special fx has some REALLY bright oranges, you might have some luck getting one of those to stick. how it turns out depends on how dark your starting color is, though.

Adiro
December 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I am wondering if anybody knows where to buy Manic Panic in Canada. Or online but shipping reasonably to Canada. I have never seen it in stores, but granted that I am mostly stuck in the house

lunaheretic
December 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Adiro, I've seen in it almost any pharmacy I've been to in Canada, even in the boonies. Shopper's Drug Mart probably has it, Uniprix in Quebec and Jean Coutu in Quebec both have it-I just bought some :)

lunaheretic
December 30th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Adiro, I've seen in it almost any pharmacy I've been to in Canada, even in the boonies. Shopper's Drug Mart probably has it, Uniprix in Quebec and Jean Coutu in Quebec both have it-I just bought some :)

hennalonghair
December 30th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I dyed my hair with Vampire Red last Spring. The colour has faded, and I have new growth at the roots, but the red is still there, more than a year after I dyed it.

Starting hair-colour is dark auburn (reddish brown with copper and golden highlights). My roots are way darker (dark reddish brown) than my length (lighter reddish brown) and ends (copper).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8667878641_f5e128dacd_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8668979528_daa0c0f435_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8684056860_cf3b4ede77_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8684056572_d3a27e8a00_z.jpg
OMG swordwomanriona. YOU are just full of wonderful surprises. :thud: I think you've got the most beautiful hair I've ever seen. Oh my heart even started fluttering when I saw your hair. Ohhhhh! You know, I was ALL for growing in my greys but........ You and your gorgeous coloured hair are totally ruining that idea. :brickwall:
My hair looks a bit simiar in the sun and I just LOVE the colour.
Do you still like it swordwomanriona and would you recommend it to others?

hennalonghair
December 30th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I just found my new hair idol :inlove:
Oh I hope lots of people see your gorgeous hair.
I'm gonna think of your hair all day long now.

Just found out they have it at Shoppers Drug Mart.
I'm getting some!!! I love it.

Scarlet_Heart
December 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Now that I'm done teaching, I might do this. Or maybe I will make it a weight-loss reward for after the baby comes.

PS: Sworwomanriona, that looks amazing on you! I think I'll opt for an orangier red because my hair is super cool toned already. Can't wait! You've inspired us all!

Robot Ninja
December 30th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I am wondering if anybody knows where to buy Manic Panic in Canada. Or online but shipping reasonably to Canada. I have never seen it in stores, but granted that I am mostly stuck in the house

Shoppers Drug Mart has it, but their color selection is somewhat limited, and some of the smaller stores might not have it. Sally's also has it and carries more colors.

Kendrix
December 31st, 2014, 12:44 AM
DO NOT ever do a blue if it has any green elements and your hair is naturally a light color. Nightmare. I did turquoise tips back in 2010 and it faded to a seaweed green. Like pool hair. It was disgusting and I eventually trimmed it out over years.

Freshly dyed:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah39/knm37504/Mobile%20Uploads/65898_10150095589334992_7324861_n_zpsdurl3fej.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/knm37504/media/Mobile%20Uploads/65898_10150095589334992_7324861_n_zpsdurl3fej.jpg. html)

4 months later:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah39/knm37504/Mobile%20Uploads/26427_424945434991_6809172_n_zpsh4fbnbvj.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/knm37504/media/Mobile%20Uploads/26427_424945434991_6809172_n_zpsh4fbnbvj.jpg.html)

(Notice how my ends match my dress? Ugh. Never again)

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you Kendrix. I was thinking of experimenting with my roots, which are the same colour, pretty much, as your natural colour. I was going to try various manic panic shades that appealed-blues, purples, pinks, reds. Now I will stay away from the blues.

How do you ladies feel MP ultra-violet would fade? It's a blueish purple. I bought some at the pharmacy and not sure I can exchange it, as I opened it to do a strand test.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 08:30 AM
SwordWomanRiona: Ah, what glorious hair. Worship worthy. I bet you get men, women and animals falling at your feet and following you around and music plays spontaneously where you walk. You haven't done a re-application and it stayed that well on auburn hair? Amazing. All of my MP applications fade in a couple of months. But I have baby fine hair that repels everything except the bleachy doom of death.

pastina
December 31st, 2014, 09:01 AM
ultra violet fades gray on a yellow base.

schweedie
December 31st, 2014, 09:48 AM
Kendrix, thank you for your input and the pictures! I've been thinking of doing a turquoise streak or something like that and I'd prefer not to bleach, but I've been wondering if it wouldn't fade to a green shade like yours considering how yellow my haircolour is. I'm guessing I'd probably have similar results to yours.

I'm not sure what colour I could get away with, though. I was thinking of pink, but I've a feeling that would fade to orange.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Thank you, pastina. I don't really have a yellow base, my natural hair is pretty ashy mousy dark blond (I think, I haven't really seen them for so long). Should it just fade to itself then? Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the only one I could find with my natural hairs in the right light to show them. The ends were bleached by moi. I guess it is kinda yellow, but in most light it looks ashy almost grey. Included two pics to show how it looks different depending on the light.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2i0dx8l.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2q3zwbq.jpg

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 10:08 AM
I'm thinking of going with my usual Infrared or Vampire Red MP as they tend to fade out nicely to a strawberry blond and then are completely gone after a few months.

hennalonghair
January 1st, 2015, 07:28 AM
Shoppers Drug Mart has it, but their color selection is somewhat limited, and some of the smaller stores might not have it. Sally's also has it and carries more colors.
Thanks Robert Ninja. I have considered MP but after reading this and some other threads I think I am going to try it. I'd love to get a colour similar to swordwomanriona cause I just think its simply beautiful but I have quite a bit of grey coming in and the rest of my hair is cherry cola red from henna. The colour looks very much like swordwomanriona's hair in the sun. I'm wondering if I could just do my roots? Any suggestions from anyone is greatly appreciated.

DO NOT ever do a blue if it has any green elements and your hair is naturally a light color. Nightmare. I did turquoise tips back in 2010 and it faded to a seaweed green. Like pool hair. It was disgusting and I eventually trimmed it out over years.

Freshly dyed:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah39/knm37504/Mobile%20Uploads/65898_10150095589334992_7324861_n_zpsdurl3fej.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/knm37504/media/Mobile%20Uploads/65898_10150095589334992_7324861_n_zpsdurl3fej.jpg. html)

4 months later:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah39/knm37504/Mobile%20Uploads/26427_424945434991_6809172_n_zpsh4fbnbvj.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/knm37504/media/Mobile%20Uploads/26427_424945434991_6809172_n_zpsh4fbnbvj.jpg.html)

(Notice how my ends match my dress? Ugh. Never again)
Oh Kendrix, so sorry hon but thank you so much for warning us. That was so appreciated and a bold thing to do.
It does look unique though. I've seen quite a few people with green hair so I wonder if it was intentional or accidental.

Thank you Kendrix. I was thinking of experimenting with my roots, which are the same colour, pretty much, as your natural colour. I was going to try various manic panic shades that appealed-blues, purples, pinks, reds. Now I will stay away from the blues.

How do you ladies feel MP ultra-violet would fade? It's a blueish purple. I bought some at the pharmacy and not sure I can exchange it, as I opened it to do a strand test.
Hey Lunaheretic! Have you coloured your hair yet and how did it turn out? I am so glad you women are willing to share all this info with the rest of us because it gives us a better idea on how it will work on us personally. So thanks. :D

SwordWomanRiona: Ah, what glorious hair. Worship worthy. I bet you get men, women and animals falling at your feet and following you around and music plays spontaneously where you walk. You haven't done a re-application and it stayed that well on auburn hair? Amazing. All of my MP applications fade in a couple of months. But I have baby fine hair that repels everything except the bleachy doom of death.
Hahaha. Oh GAWD I love a woman with a great sense of humour. That was too cute :applause:
That swordwomanriona sure surprised me. I had always considered her reserved and conservative but boy was I wrong.

ultra violet fades gray on a yellow base.

I'm thinking of going with my usual Infrared or Vampire Red MP as they tend to fade out nicely to a strawberry blond and then are completely gone after a few months.
Now this I could handle. I actually want something that fades some because I'd like to start some type of reversed ombré. Yes I I know I'm doing it backwards but I'm ok with that.
I wish you could post pics Lunaheretic cause I'd love to see your hair !!!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with manic panic.
I am considering using some but need to do some more research.

lunaheretic
January 1st, 2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks hennaredhair. I wasn't being sarcastic about Swordwomanriona, wouldn't surprise me in the least ;)

I have done a bit to my hair. I made a bad choice and put some Fuchsia Shock in my roots because it was what I had and I was impatient after discovering I can use henna with MP. I'm not worried because I've used this shade before, it will fade to light pink soon and I can apply Vampire Red and get a more uniform look. I wanted to experiment with ombre, though, and temporarily darken my roots with MP or this temporary henna I found (crazy notion, temporary henna, I know!). That experiment failed to give any colour, perhaps because my hair is very very non-porous and what I have on my head has never been chemically lightened or treated with harsh chemical dyes, and it was still dealing with the full head of MP application I did the other day. I will try again in a few days when the MP washes out some.
My hair is kind of embarrassing right now, but if we get some sun I'll take a photo for science, especially on my dirty blond virgin roots, which took the Fuschia Shock rather well after wrapping in saran wrap, sleeping on it overnight, blowdrying the wet parts and doing an apple cider vinegar rinse. It's super dark pink with a radioactive glow in the light. Photos coming soon.
The pic below is a crappy webcam pic of my hair after dying it with MP red (sorry can't remember but I think it was Infrared) after the blond photos above. Only the ends weren't virgin. I had at least a couple of washes under my belt when this pic was taken.
http://i59.tinypic.com/xku00j.jpg
After it began to wash out, 5-6 weeks. I wasn't washing my hair that often at the time though. Looks like it was wearing off in the back first from my pillow or something!

lunaheretic
January 1st, 2015, 08:16 AM
This is the washed out pic.

http://i58.tinypic.com/v58sbs.jpg

pastina
January 1st, 2015, 08:36 AM
hennalonghair-- veggies dont always stick to gray. you might find the color leaves your gray strands (or roots , in this case) long before the rest of your hair.

hennalonghair
January 1st, 2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks hennaredhair. I wasn't being sarcastic about Swordwomanriona, wouldn't surprise me in the least ;)

I have done a bit to my hair. I made a bad choice and put some Fuchsia Shock in my roots because it was what I had and I was impatient after discovering I can use henna with MP. I'm not worried because I've used this shade before, it will fade to light pink soon and I can apply Vampire Red and get a more uniform look. I wanted to experiment with ombre, though, and temporarily darken my roots with MP or this temporary henna I found (crazy notion, temporary henna, I know!). That experiment failed to give any colour, perhaps because my hair is very very non-porous and what I have on my head has never been chemically lightened or treated with harsh chemical dyes, and it was still dealing with the full head of MP application I did the other day. I will try again in a few days when the MP washes out some.
My hair is kind of embarrassing right now, but if we get some sun I'll take a photo for science, especially on my dirty blond virgin roots, which took the Fuschia Shock rather well after wrapping in saran wrap, sleeping on it overnight, blowdrying the wet parts and doing an apple cider vinegar rinse. It's super dark pink with a radioactive glow in the light. Photos coming soon.
The pic below is a crappy webcam pic of my hair after dying it with MP red (sorry can't remember but I think it was Infrared) after the blond photos above. Only the ends weren't virgin. I had at least a couple of washes under my belt when this pic was taken.
After it began to wash out, 5-6 weeks. I wasn't washing my hair that often at the time though. Looks like it was wearing off in the back first from my pillow or something!

Darn it, sorry for the double pic. I should have checked the preview, I can't edit yet.

This is the washed out pic.

http://i58.tinypic.com/v58sbs.jpg

Oh so cool Lunaheretic . I've been almost stalking you for pictures. I thought you needed 25 posts but I think the forum recently changed that. I'm going to keep a close eye i you because you are doing what I'd like to achieve.
I've been hennaing my hair for 35 years now and just recently have gone for more of a cherry cola red which is quite lovely BUT I want to grow out my natural colour . Unfortunately I have so much grey that my natural colour coming in looks hideous . I'd like to find something that colours my greys but washes out. I don't care if it doesn't wash out completely. I just need an alternative method so I'm all ears or rather eyes with this.
Btw.... I LOVE and so appreciate your sense of humour. What you said about swordwomanriona 's hair was hilarious:lol:
She sure could stop traffic with such stunning hair.

Thanks for showing us pics. What colour would you have done if you had it?Vampier Red?

Ok I've gotta get moving here and take my poor dogs for their walk.
Chat later. Oh and THANKS for the pics. Good stuff :thumbsup:

hennalonghair
January 1st, 2015, 08:47 AM
hennalonghair-- veggies dont always stick to gray. you might find the color leaves your gray strands (or roots , in this case) long before the rest of your hair.

Oh boooo:(
Do you have any suggestions to what might stick . I don't mind if it fades cause I sort of want it to.
You look like a queen of colour so I'll listen
Thanks for letting me know:thumbsup:

pastina
January 1st, 2015, 09:13 AM
well, you might be able to get it to stick by giving it a good clarifying wash in hot water before you dye (no conditioner), leaving the dye in for several hours to overnight under a shower cap, then rinsing it out with cold water (and maybe a vinegar rinse). but they are called resistant grays for a reason!

Robot Ninja
January 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM
Oh boooo:(
Do you have any suggestions to what might stick . I don't mind if it fades cause I sort of want it to.
You look like a queen of colour so I'll listen
Thanks for letting me know:thumbsup:

MP sticks to my greys pretty well, so you won't know whether it'll stick to yours until you try. (I leave it on all day and only CO-wash with cool water, to prevent fading.)
The color is a lot brighter on the greys though.

Adiro
January 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM
Lunaheretic, thank you! I haven't chcked this thread for a while, and I didn't even know that I've got an answer :)
I will go check Shoppers soon, haha every time I go there is for Pampers and baby wipes....

Ps: your hair is super sexy in all colours !

lunaheretic
January 1st, 2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks so much! I'm coming to terms with my natural colour and even coming to like it a lot. In the meantime I'm going to have some fun with manic panic and indigo. What colour are you looking for, Adiro? It's true that the selection is kind of limited. Here they've got a few shades of red, blue and purple and that's about it.

Adiro
January 2nd, 2015, 11:36 PM
I was thinking to try some red, nothing very wild or outrageous , it just doesn't work for my lifestyle... But I am considering henna, however that one is permanent so I need to experiment..... Currently I am colouring with 8n from loreal, which is a bit lighter than my natural color, just because I have some grays coming in....
Thank you!