PDA

View Full Version : Album Comments

Alley Cat
March 26th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I can't see a thread about this forgive me if there is . Is there a way to tell where you have posted a comment in a members album I am having trouble remembering who or where I have posted a comment? :rolleyes:
My memories not like it was . :silly:

Dianyla
March 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Currently I don't believe this is possible. :shake:

Alley Cat
March 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks anyway:)

physicschick
March 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm glad you asked, Alley Cat. Otherwise I was going to have to do it. It took me a week to relocate one comment I'd posted. :doh: Next time I'll probably PM the person if I'm very interested in a response.

aisling
March 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I've done the same thing and this is what I see as the biggest weakness with the albums, they're really hard to keep up with. You get a notification when somebody has posted in your own album(s) but when you have commented on somebody's pictures, you really have to remember where. This format isn't very discussion friendly, I think.

Dianyla
March 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I've done the same thing and this is what I see as the biggest weakness with the albums, they're really hard to keep up with. You get a notification when somebody has posted in your own album(s) but when you have commented on somebody's pictures, you really have to remember where.
That's correct. One thing I've been doing is leaving visitor profile messages instead of photo comments, since it's easier to keep track of those. :twocents:

This format isn't very discussion friendly, I think.
That's also correct. And some people actually like it better this way. :shrug:

Alley Cat
March 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I'm glad you asked, Alley Cat. Otherwise I was going to have to do it. It took me a week to relocate one comment I'd posted. :doh: Next time I'll probably PM the person if I'm very interested in a response.
Actually thanks for the reminder I have one I need to go back and see what the answer was to a question I asked. I must go back and find it before it's buried. :bigeyes:

FrannyG
March 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM
AlleyCat, just know that you're not alone. I think there might be quite a few of us with failing memories. :confused:

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
That's correct. One thing I've been doing is leaving visitor profile messages instead of photo comments, since it's easier to keep track of those. :twocents:

Just on a quick note - is there a way to keep track of those, other than by sheer brainpower?
I'm just asking that I'm lucky if I remember what day it is and whether I've had lunch already, let alone where I left comments.

aisling
March 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's also correct. And some people actually like it better this way. :shrug:

I think it depends on what kind of discussions, I liked the hair related ones myself where for example different ways to make this one bun was the topic. I learnt a lot of new updos through the old photo boards.

Rae~
March 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I know it's probably not a board feature, but gee it would be great if there was a "View all your comments" option... album comments, profile comments, social group comments... everything that's not an actual post in a thread, on one page.

Oh, and with the option to sort them in folders, like thread subscriptions.

You know, seeing as we're being all wishful and everything... :D

Alley Cat
March 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
AlleyCat, just know that you're not alone. I think there might be quite a few of us with failing memories. :confused:
:D Glad to hear it I think. :confused:

I know it's probably not a board feature, but gee it would be great if there was a "View all your comments" option... album comments, profile comments, social group comments... everything that's not an actual post in a thread, on one page.

Oh, and with the option to sort them in folders, like thread subscriptions.

You know, seeing as we're being all wishful and everything... :D
Wishful thinking but I love the idea. For myself I might look at a few photo's one day and then not for a few days , blog ones I tend to forget too, I have forgotten completely we even have the social groups:whistle:

How's that for memory Franny. :D

CountessDeJager
March 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
And some people actually like it better this way. :shrug:

Some of us just don't know any better since we didn't play on the photo board back then. :p Since the meet board appeared again there must be some way to filter by the old '60 days/100 posts/not obviously creepy' requirement. Would it be possible to have a photo threads section again for those that wish?

Jason
March 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Some of us just don't know any better since we didn't play on the photo board back then. :p Since the meet board appeared again there must be some way to filter by the old '60 days/100 posts/not obviously creepy' requirement. Would it be possible to have a photo threads section again for those that wish?

I second this request. We really miss the photo journals.

PseudoScot
March 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I thought we were meant to use photo albums now, and if we wanted to restrict those, do so with the friends/contacts feature? Maybe I am not understanding the request.

CountessDeJager
March 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
The albums are great if you want to have greater privacy limited to the few people on your list that you've okayed so your photo of the wife and kids has a very limited audience. As I understand it from this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=31154&postcount=1), the public photos are visible to anybody logged in that has 25 or more posts. A photo board would provide a happy medium between public and contacts only options. I am sure a lot of people would like to get feedback from the general LHC population sometimes without having to be on display to anybody that has managed 25 posts but not made a time commitment or really invested in the community yet.

Plus, there is a lot of fun in the conversations that develop around a photo thread. If you forget to go back to an album's comments section for that specific photo the back and forth discussion doesn't develop. Leaving a profile page message also is unsatisfactory for the same reason, others don't see it to join in. Just because albums are available now I don't think a favorite feature needs to be abandoned.

Rae~
March 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM
PseudoScot: I think people hope for somewhere fairly protected - ie to the same level as previously - where they can jointly post photos, for those "show me your bangs" or a "post your good hair day pics" threads.

At least, that would be my hope. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Can't hurt to register interest. :)

Alley Cat
March 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Actually now you have me confused are there 2 level of photo albums the 25 posts and private ones? :confused:
I haven't put up any photo albums as yet and have only looked at photo's using the All Albums at the top. I haven't gone to anyone's profiles and looked that way as yet. There sure is a lot to do around here. :shrug:
Am I missing something?:confused:

Rae~
March 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Alley Cat: Yes, there are different privacy settings on albums, however it's a bit of an "all or nothing" step between the levels - either leave it public and have it viewable by everyone with 25+ posts, or make it private and restrict it to only your friends list. There's no middle ground, no "I don't particularly want the whole world to see these but if you've satisfied the standard 100+ posts/60+ days criteria, I'll trust you" option, which is possibly what people miss.

And I'm sorry - this conversation has sort of gone off on a tangent from your original question about album comments. :o

Alley Cat
March 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Alley Cat: Yes, there are different privacy settings on albums, however it's a bit of an "all or nothing" step between the levels - either leave it public and have it viewable by everyone with 25+ posts, or make it private and restrict it to only your friends list. There's no middle ground, no "I don't particularly want the whole world to see these but if you've satisfied the standard 100+ posts/60+ days criteria, I'll trust you" option, which is possibly what people miss.

And I'm sorry - this conversation has sort of gone off on a tangent from your original question about album comments. :o

Thanks for that :flowers:
No need for apologies, hey I am learning more than my original question :thumbsup:

physicschick
March 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
As others have said, you can set your photo albums to private (contacts only) or public. You can have multiple albums, each with different settings. Since each member individually selects his/her contact list, that gives each of us many options.

There are no plans for personal photo journals like we had before. It may be that allowing people to post some photos on a private board (similar to the meets board) will be the best solution for replicating something like the hairstyle of the week threads and other photo projects that multiple people would want to post photos to. We're still talking about how best to implement this. If it ends up being a private board, we wouldn't be opening it up to people starting their own personal photo threads.

Rae~
March 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
physicschick, I know this issue is still under discussion, but if it comes to fruition that would be great. I can accept that albums now replace personal photo threads, but I still miss the private, group post photo threads. :)

Alley Cat
March 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
As others have said, you can set your photo albums to private (contacts only) or public. You can have multiple albums, each with different settings. Since each member individually selects his/her contact list, that gives each of us many options.

That's a good idea being able to have multiple albums each with different settings, of course I would know this if I had started albums up , but as lazy as I am I haven't. :D

EdG
March 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Is there a way to tell where you have posted a comment in a members album I am having trouble remembering who or where I have posted a comment? :rolleyes:
My memories not like it was . :silly:Technology to the rescue! :magic:

There's no need to remember things that one's computer can remember.

I keep a local copy of everything I've ever posted on the Internet. This enables me to find anything I've posted at electronic speed.
Ed

zift
March 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Technology to the rescue! :magic:

I keep a local copy of everything I've ever posted on the Internet. This enables me to find anything I've posted at electronic speed.
Ed

Interesting Ed, how do you do that?

EdG
March 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Interesting Ed, how do you do that?I save the pages as HTML. In Firefox, do "Save Page As". I save only the HTML, not the images. I use the post number, forum, and date as part of the filename.

I arrange the files chronologically. I can find something by knowing when I posted it, or I use Linux "grep" to search for keywords (Windows search can do something similar).

I do this for all boards I post on. :)
Ed

Rae~
March 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Oh my god, if I did that I'd fill my hard drive in about a week - even without images!! :lol:

Alley Cat
March 31st, 2008, 03:17 AM
Technology to the rescue! :magic:

Ed

I save the pages as HTML. In Firefox, do "Save Page As". I save only the HTML, not the images. I use the post number, forum, and date as part of the filename.

I arrange the files chronologically. I can find something by knowing when I posted it, or I use Linux "grep" to search for keywords (Windows search can do something similar).

I do this for all boards I post on. :)
Ed

Oh that sounds so organized . As a rather unorganized person ,not sure I could manage that. But thank you for the idea. :thumbsup:
Plus I think I post a little too much for that. :silly:
This is not the only forum I post at. :whistle:

Juliet's Silk
March 31st, 2008, 03:27 AM
PseudoScot: I think people hope for somewhere fairly protected - ie to the same level as previously - where they can jointly post photos, for those "show me your bangs" or a "post your good hair day pics" threads.

At least, that would be my hope. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Can't hurt to register interest. :)

Couldn't you use the social groups for something like that? I mean you can post pictures to them, so it would be possible to have a discussion thingie with pictures where everyone showed their bangs or good hair day pictures. Not quite a comfortable as an own thread, but a possibility to think about.

Personally, I like the way the photo albums work, but then I'm not someone who comments overtly much. I think if I was interested in a particular updo and wanted to know how to do it, I could remember to check the picture for comments... but then, that happens only once in a while, so I don't need to have to remember too much at once. :o

aisling
March 31st, 2008, 03:37 AM
Oh my god, if I did that I'd fill my hard drive in about a week - even without images!! :lol:

Same thing here :) I also don't use the same one computer all the time, I still might not be able to see what i've posted where when needed.

Beatnik Guy
March 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
physicschick, I know this issue is still under discussion, but if it comes to fruition that would be great. I can accept that albums now replace personal photo threads, but I still miss the private, group post photo threads. :)
Yes; I hope we can achieve something like this. :cool:

Rae~
March 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Couldn't you use the social groups for something like that? I mean you can post pictures to them, so it would be possible to have a discussion thingie with pictures where everyone showed their bangs or good hair day pictures. Not quite a comfortable as an own thread, but a possibility to think about.

Personally, I like the way the photo albums work, but then I'm not someone who comments overtly much. I think if I was interested in a particular updo and wanted to know how to do it, I could remember to check the picture for comments... but then, that happens only once in a while, so I don't need to have to remember too much at once. :o

True, we could create a new social group every time you want to ask about a new hairdo, I suppose, but I'd imagine we would soon be drowning in social groups. Heh. Also, with the limit on how many photos each person can hold in their albums, I feel that either you'd end up cluttering up your albums with photos you really only wanted to post to a specific discussion, or you'd delete/replace them and the discussion would become less useful without the relevant pictures. And finally, if there was a specific photo thread area, it could be possibly put under a different layer of protection than the Mane board etc, to prevent photo "gathering".

Anyway, it might work, and if that's the way it goes, so be it. It just wouldn't be my preference. :) (Not that my personal preference has any bearing on the issue, either! :silly: ) Either way, I appreciate that the modmins are working on knuckling this out.

I like the photo album system too, but I look on the albums as being a "showcase" of my key photos. The (non-personal) photo threads, to me, served a different purpose.

:flowers: