PDA

View Full Version : Keeping colored red hair, RED :)

Bianca
December 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
OK, so right now I have golden blonde hair, am i'm so bored with it. I want red. So i'm going to color it with coulour experte, ginger twist. I have had red hair many many times, so I know that it fades alot. So i'm, wondering if CO or something like that will keep the color longer ? Anyone else color their hair red ? I have tried henna, but it was not for me. Any advice ? :p

TIA :blossom:

FallenAngel
December 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
My own experience with red hair is.. .that my hair does NOT want to be red, no matter how hard I try. The reddest colours at a salon is red for a week in my hair. 1-2 washes, and it is back to dark/medium brown.

It is so individual, how red you go. BUT if I use conditioner, it goes away even faster.

Hope that you get better advices from others. Good luck with the "redness".

MadHatter
December 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I never could make chemical red stick around, either. Henna is the only thing that keeps my hair red.

Dolly
December 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I use Hydrience Intense Deep Red, which is the reddest red I could find....LOL. I have learned two things that help keep my color from going away. 1) Use a cool water/vinegar rinse immediately after coloring, and (2) never rinse your hair with warm/hot water. The water that touches my hair is never any warmer than lukewarm....usually it is cool. I dont very much like cool water in my shower, but of it keeps my color from leaving, I'll do it. I color every 6 wks or so, and my color is intensely red. Always. If my roots wouldn't show up so quick, I could get away with 8.

HairColoredHair
December 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
You haven't had blonde hair more than a month! How can you be bored with it already! :lol:

Red is a very hard color to get to stay... You could do Manic Panic and then be free to change colors as it washes out. :D

jojo
December 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
If you are really sure you want red, try the henna but be really sure because its there for good. You could always try a henna gloss if you just want just a bit of colour change? These wash out with me for some reason.

Dolly
December 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
OK, so right now I have golden blonde hair, am i'm so bored with it. I want red. So i'm going to color it with coulour experte, ginger twist. I have had red hair many many times, so I know that it fades alot. So i'm, wondering if CO or something like that will keep the color longer ? Anyone else color their hair red ? I have tried henna, but it was not for me. Any advice ? :p

TIA :blossom:

Hey, I just remembered......didn't you just bleach the henna red out of your hair? I am confused.....after all that, now you want to go back to red? I think that I would go with HairColoredHair's advice....go with Manic Panic or some other temporary or semi-permanent color.....they wash out over time. Otherwise, you are going to end up totally trashing your hair.

Honey39
December 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I highlight my hair, and I've noticed that since I started CO-ing my hair when I joined here, the colour doesn't fade (this is good!). Red fades so quickly, but I think that as I am no longer using shampoo, I might go for copper again in February. I found shampoo stripped the colour out pretty quickly.

I love the idea of henna, but I hate the idea of its permanence to be honest. I think it's pretty hard to change your mind once you've gone down that route

Speckla
December 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe you should try some temporary streaks to see if you like it.
________
Vapir Air One Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

wintersun99
December 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Dolly
December 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm no expert, for sure, but I would suggest trying a product that is a "direct dye" (like Feria) rather than an oxidative dye. It's my understanding that direct dye colors are much more permanent and not likely to fade. The only catch is that some do contain metallic salts and thus, cannot be bleached or lightened in the future.

I would be VERY CAREFUL with Feria! I used it about 2.5 years ago, and ended up having to cut off about 4 inches of hair. It started breaking off really really bad, no matter what I did. Everyone else that I know personally who has used Feria (6 other people) said the same thing.....it is bad, bad stuff.

Elainehali
December 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I used to chemically dye my hair, and fading is a problem I had cause my hair was a little past hip length back then. The thing that helped me the most was protein filler. Now that I use henna I still find protein filler gives me a little boost in color and shine on the ends of my hair.

I treat my hair with a colored protein filler. (you can get it at sally's) online or in the store.

From what I gather your hair has color has been changed a few times. Chemical colors strip protein out of your hair. Protein filler kinda fills in the hair shaft. The red protein filler washes out, but if you treat your hair with it once a week, and dont wash every day it does a good job of sticking around.

There are a few ways I've used it.

1. make your own (cheaper) tinted conditioner. Just add the protein filler into a bottle of whatever conditioner you use. This gives a little bit of color every time you condition.

2. add the color to a mister bottle and use it after you shower, but before you detangle/dry your hair. This works the best for me. It will come off on clothes/pillows if it isn't dry though. After my hair dryes I dont notice run off.

3. you can just add globs of it to damp hair and let it sit for a while like a deep treatment. Then rinse it out.

This stuff is great for hair that's been dyed several times, and doesn't damage hair. So you may want to look into it.

twilight_faerie
December 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Oh man...I hated my chemically-dyed-red days. I dyed my hair red chemically from ages 15 to about 20, and it was so frustrating. I tried so many different brands and shades of red, and none of them would stay very vivid at all for more than a few washes. It got so frustrating that many times I contemplated just dyeing my hair black so I wouldn't have to deal with the fading (and then I DID dye my hair black, eventually, and that didn't turn out very good either, but for a different reason). I'm pretty sure a big reason why my color was fading so much was because I was using so much shampoo. So if you decide to CO, I bet that'd help.

Kirin
December 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
If your hair has been bleached, good luck trying to keep a chemical red in your hair. The sad truth's about chemical red color is, the more you use it, the faster it fades. Thats because each time you use a chemical process on your hair, you weaken the scales of the hair shaft, making them weaker, and the next time you apply red, out it comes faster.

I can give you no advice on making it stay, as washing, getting it wet, conditioning, all remove it. I've actually found conditioner takes out more red than shampoo! The only way I've gotten a permanent red in all these years, is henna, and i've tried hundreds of brands.. the word "permanent" on the box means nothing.

kelsoberry
December 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I've dyed my hair every shade of red known to man, and some shades yet to be discovered. I've bleached, dyed, bleached, colored, and had to cut off hair that I've melted with dye and bleach.

If you've bleached your hair, your hair follicles are now basically empty shafts. Give your hair as much time as possible after you bleach it to help it get over the serious trauma of peroxide. Go to a local beauty supply shop and get Hair filler. Basically its a protein that you put on your hair. While you're there get good quality hair color. I prefer Wella, but there are a number of others out there. Feria is seems is bad quality. You can pick up a separate bottle of developer as well. It'll have instruction on how many ounces of developer/tube of color cream you'll want to use. Put a plastic bag over your head while it is coloring, and a towel over that to help keep in some heat. Strand tests are highly recommended as bleach tends to complicate everything.

Red is a very difficult color. The good news is the bleached hair will suck up a lot of the red, but then it'll fade after you wash. You can get red colored hair shampoos at sally's. Basically its a shampoo with minor red coloring that will see you through to your next dye job.

Beware. Red on bleached hair will stick. It'll fade, but make darn sure that you want it red because there is nothing, NOTHING that will take the final red out. You will NOT be able to go blond again, there will always be an orange/red tint.

Oskimosa
December 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I just wanted to take up for Feria here...

I used it for about a year or so, my sister has been using it for a couple of years now too. I never had any hair issues, and actually I think I suffered little damage to my hair. Hers looks a bit fried, but she's always trying to highlight it and blowdries it really roughly. The only thing was that it faded badly.

Red color shampoos are miserably ineffective. Deposit-only colors can work, but it's expensive and you have to do it often. If you're going to treat your hair like normal people do, you're going to have a headache trying to keep red hair. Unless you henna.

Bianca
December 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Oh my... Didn't expect that many reply's :p

I did just dye it golden blonde yes, after bleaching out henna. I dont know why I get bored with my hair color so quickly. If I could I would probably color it a new color every day :cheese:

I'm not so sure i'll color it red now. I do know that red fades like crazy. Maybe I should just grow out my natural color and STEP away from the chemicals. Just not a fan off two-toned hair :)

Bianca
December 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I have a bunch of henna actually. I got one kilo from h4h, because I translated the henna online book into Danish. But i'm not going there again, I dont like how dark it looks when i'm indoors. It only looked good outside. It was copperish and really pretty :) BUT as I said, way to dark, and too much work. I was so afraid off overlapping the color when I did my roots. At least that's not an issue when you use ordinary hair color :p