PDA

View Full Version : What not to wear (Hair) Version 3.0

Kittee
December 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
So I've watched a few episodes today and yes I know what they do at the end so I should expect it but I wanted to gripe a bit about it anyways.

This is my letter to the hair stylist...

Mr. Hair Styling Dude from What Not to Wear,

Sir, while I am quite sure you are well educated and nice, I must inform you that I, a lady of the "curly headed community" is quite tired and offended by your constant need to butcher curly headed women on your segment of the show.

Just today I've seen 3 episodes of where you have taken a curly or very wavy headed lady and proceeded to commit to sins upon their poor heads.

Curlies do not want razor/uneven cuts.
Curlies do not want straightening irons!

Those poor ladies. The "Oooo's! and Ahhh's!' will be declarations of despair come that first wash after you have done your work.

Curly heads are CURLY! Once you get your hair damp, moist, humid after a straightening iron session guess what Mr. Dude, that hair you spent 30 mins straightening for them on the show, its CURLY again! And now they have a cut that is for a straight haired person!! SO the curls will not even look good anymore!

Lastly I find it o'so very ironic that 90% of those women on the show are there because of fashion laziness. Most say their clothing and hair is due to speed and ease...

What in the world makes you think that these ladies will have the time/inclination to spend MORE than 30 mins on their hair every DAY to keep up with that straight hair style you have given them? Because lets face it...it's a lot harder to do a straightening iron on yourself and have it look a fraction as good as it does when a professional stylist does it for you!

Utterly Pissed Off Curly Head,

-Kittee

HairColoredHair
December 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I was watching that today, but I was peeved at the 'wash and wear' style he made for this woman that required her to add product and straighten her hair every day.

He seemed horrified when she mentioned she didn't own a brush.

Um... hello? She's a curly girl!

Kittee
December 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Yep that was one of them.

Right now they have a very curly blond on, her hair looks alot like mine. (Sans color.)

I can't wait (sarcasm) to see what he's going to do to her.

ladyluck
December 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM
All makeover programs seem to do that. Its really irritating. So really after the initial 'wow' the poor makeover victim will be left feeling worse about their appearance. I used to get the same from hairdressers...insistant that a blunt bob was the best for my slightly wavey fine hair.

MAO
December 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I second that Kittee! Everytime I go to get my hair cut somewhere that costs more than $15, the stylists are always so eager to break out with the razors, blowdryers and straightening irons! I don't know what it is about our curly hair that gives them the uncontrollable urge to straighten and fry our curls within an inch of their life! It pisses me off that nobody out there seems to know how to cut curly hair and a trim never turns out to be just a 'trim' but usually winds up taking off more than I wanted.

ReddishRocks
December 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I get really irritated watching that show when they start piling on the makeup and hair products. It's like they stop considering the lifestyle of their "client"!

I spent years loving my hair the day I left the stylist, then cursing my waves once I got home and washed it out. :( Those shows just go for the shock value of the "big reveal," and that gets them the ratings I guess.

Kittee
December 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I get really irritated watching that show when they start piling on the makeup and hair products. It's like they stop considering the lifestyle of their "client"!

I spent years loving my hair the day I left the stylist, then cursing my waves once I got home and washed it out. :( Those shows just go for the shock value of the "big reveal," and that gets them the ratings I guess.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. These stylists need to have realistic expectations of what their clients can achieve in their own homes.

Deborah
December 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
It's not just curlies they try to alter needlessly. Have you seen the straight haired women who they insist on layering, and then 'softly curling'? When they next wash, they will have straight, stringy looking, ugly layers that don't work on straight hair. Or even dumber, they convince these women to use flat irons to straighten already straight hair! What are they thinking?

Honestly, these shows, most hairstylists, and all advertising seems designed to make every woman feel that her hair is unacceptable and ugly unless she buys their many useless styling aids to change whatever type of hair she has.

Is she brunette? Better bleach in some streaks or better yet bleach or henna the whole head. That way you will have to spend more money to redo it every month or so.

Is she blonde? Better dye or henna.

Does she have some white streaks? Better dye! Oh wait, didn't the brunette pay good money to have identical streaks put in? Well, if they are natural, they must go!

Don't you just get sick of all the pressure? No matter how gorgeous your hair may be, it is never good enough.

It's all about $$$$ They want yours.

Darkhorse1
December 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. While I really like the guy on What not to Wear, he really doesn't have diversity. He ALWAYS gives people bobs!! Every what not to wear I've seen, he either does a pixie or bob! I mean, hello?? There are other styles out there!!!

At least with TLC's Makeover Story, they did a variety of styles--longer layers and so forth. Just had to get that off my chest. :)

Speckla
December 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Someone needs to give him a razored bob with blonde streaks. :mad: Straighten it and make him keep that up everyday.

I owe several brushes and several different types of shampoos but I just don't use them. :cheese:
________
Ecig Forum (http://vaporizer.org/forum/electronic-cigarettes/)

Kittee
December 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I dont' know if you guys have noticed but half the time he's rocking some kinda "jerry-wet-drippy" curl type look half the time.

SO yeah, I think he needs to apply some of his own style tips lol.
Feel like I'm being blasted back into an old Michael Jackson video lol.

wintersun99
December 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM

manderly
December 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think Nick Arrojo gives the absolute UGLIEST haircuts I've ever seen.....ever.

A good GF of mine got read the riot act when she told me she was going to his salon to get her gorgeous black (Hawaiian), 3a curls dyed BLONDE and styled. Blargh. I tell this girl how much I love her hair and how lovely it is all the time and she still wants it to be something its not.

Friesiangirl
December 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'm not even a curly and I hate all this nonsense. What's wrong with what is on your head? Your eye color? Your skin tone? Everyone wants something that works against their genetics. Pffft. My hair is a frizzball of mess, and I love it. It's mine. My genetics, (although my parents and I have fallen out) are mine. They are me.

I just don't get this, "wanting to be someone else" thing. I just don't. It seems like these poor people just get trampled all over in these shows.

*le sigh*

I want to be on one of those shows to tell them,

"Work with who I am, because my hair, my skin, and my glasses, STAY."

Hayley

Speckla
December 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not even a curly and I hate all this nonsense. What's wrong with what is on your head? Your eye color? Your skin tone? Everyone wants something that works against their genetics. Pffft. My hair is a frizzball of mess, and I love it. It's mine. My genetics, (although my parents and I have fallen out) are mine. They are me.

I just don't get this, "wanting to be someone else" thing. I just don't. It seems like these poor people just get trampled all over in these shows.

*le sigh*

I want to be on one of those shows to tell them,

"Work with who I am, because my hair, my skin, and my glasses, STAY."

Hayley

I agree with you. Don't change if you like the way you look.

I'm perfectly willing to try new makeup because it's gone as soon as you wash your face but hair? No way, it takes too long to grow out and those styles require too much maintenance!
________
Trenton Engine (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Trenton_Engine)

missbexy
December 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'd love to see a makeover show run by some of the people here: instead of here spend £50 on each ugly top from a shop no sane person would go into spend affordable amounts on some comfy yet pretty stuff and start off with just a couple of nice dresses for going out.
Instead of here let our stylist massacre your hair until you look like a patchwork-patterned dyed poodle have hair the length you're comfortable that you can maintain and it suits you. In addition we'll teach you how you can style it nicely when you want to.
That would be so nicely refreshing :)

Darkhorse1
December 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
What not to Wear is not a bad show. I've learned a lot about dressing in regards to pieces and matching colors/patterns etc. I've learned tips on makeup (not that I use them because I rarely wear makeup)--Carmendy is an excellent makeup artist. I think she's the best at making it look natural. I've even learned tips on hair care, but what I hate is what they do for 'TV'. It's wayy over done for shock value.

Someone I know in the horse industry was on a show called "Style by Jury". This takes place over weeks, as they re-do teeth etc. She had mega long hair (past her butt), and was ready for a huge change. They came to her farm etc, and the makeover they gave her was AMAZING! She loved it and they gave her shoulder length hair with soft layers. Easy to manage at the barn, and suitable clothing etc.

I think all makeover shows have to show 'drastic' changes for viewers to watch. Look at Top Model? Long haired girls go there and you know they are going to go razor short/icy blond for ratings. To me, a hair dresser can do a lot without scissors and hair dye--whatever happened to styles? I know that there was an episode on Hair Stylist...shoot, I can't remember the name of the show--Shear Genius! Anyhow, they had women with uber long hair and they couldn't cut 1 hair on their head! The results were amazing...though the product usage was huge. You can find it on youtube.

Dreamernz
December 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
*Applauds and whistles from the front row* I totally agree, why don't they enhance our natural hair instead of trying to make it into something it's not!!!

mellie
December 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
That's really terrible - you'd think he'd have some training/experience with curlies!!

florenonite
December 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
What not to Wear is not a bad show. I've learned a lot about dressing in regards to pieces and matching colors/patterns etc. I've learned tips on makeup (not that I use them because I rarely wear makeup)--Carmendy is an excellent makeup artist. I think she's the best at making it look natural. I've even learned tips on hair care, but what I hate is what they do for 'TV'. It's wayy over done for shock value.

Someone I know in the horse industry was on a show called "Style by Jury". This takes place over weeks, as they re-do teeth etc. She had mega long hair (past her butt), and was ready for a huge change. They came to her farm etc, and the makeover they gave her was AMAZING! She loved it and they gave her shoulder length hair with soft layers. Easy to manage at the barn, and suitable clothing etc.

I think all makeover shows have to show 'drastic' changes for viewers to watch. Look at Top Model? Long haired girls go there and you know they are going to go razor short/icy blond for ratings. To me, a hair dresser can do a lot without scissors and hair dye--whatever happened to styles? I know that there was an episode on Hair Stylist...shoot, I can't remember the name of the show--Shear Genius! Anyhow, they had women with uber long hair and they couldn't cut 1 hair on their head! The results were amazing...though the product usage was huge. You can find it on youtube.

I think I'd prefer makeover shows if they didn't show drastic changes. Instead, they should work with a person's natural hair and his/her clothing style to create a look that he/she would actually like and be capable of maintaining. Maybe that's just me, though :P

spunkymonki87
December 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I find it just a bit ironic that Nick always wears his own hair curly (with the help of what looks like gel/hairspray/pomade, etc). Either that, or it's buzzed really short.