PDA

View Full Version : Big compliments on my hair today

Themyst
December 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I went out shopping today. I don't go out very often.shudder:

In one store, a woman clerk came up to me and exclaimed loudly (at the crowded checkout area no less) how beautiful she thought my hair was. She started picking it up and stroking it. I think she even seemed to be inspecting the ends to see how healthy it was. She asked me if it was natural and then in the middle of it all, asked if it was okay to be touching it.

Well, with everyone staring at this point, and as I am just a well-bred racehorse:D, I just said it was okay. I know some would have a fit with this but I think she was just a very gregarious, friendly person. She didn't mean to be rude. Anyway, the embarrassment hives that had just broken out all over my neck and chest were pretty much covered by the turtleneck and cape I was wearing. :rolleyes: I am an extreme introvert so I try to be a little more forgiving to compensate. I don't want to be misunderstood as arrogant. However, if it would have been a man doing this, I probably would have just died on the spot.

I then went to another store and had a different experience. Next to me in the double checkout line was a woman who politely complimented me about my hair. This one kept her hands to herself, though.:) I thanked her and then noticed her BSL - waist, whitish-blond hair and reciprocated the compliment. She thanked me, but then said she was too old to have it being over 50. I was horrified! Of course, I told her that that the age thing was silly. I hope she feels better about it. She looked great with it. She certainly wouldn't have looked as good with one of those short, little, no-fuss granny chops. She seemed like a very nice person.

Speckla
December 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'd compliment your hair if I saw it too!! It's lovely.
________
Digital vaporizer (http://vaporshop.com)

intothemist1999
December 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
You MUST have looked stunning! I don't think I've ever seen a "2 compliments while out in public today" post! :thumbsup: Funny that that first lady was so loud! I think it's nice you had an audience! :agree:

kam984420
December 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
That's awesome. Are you maintaining your length or are you still growing it out?

Themyst
December 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
That's awesome. Are you maintaining your length or are you still growing it out?

I'll be growing it out to terminal length. I usually have DH cut five or six inches off every eighteen months or so but I won't be doing that anymore.:)

truepeacenik
December 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
My friends from Maine would be too reticent to comment in public on a stranger. She must have been impressed. Or addicted like us!

Silver Strands
December 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
You do have beautiful hair and I can understand how amazed people were if you wore it down.

It's rare to see hair that long these days.
And in such good condition.

How nice for you.

mellie
December 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
That's really wonderful! (Although the first lady really shouldn't have touched it - why do people do that???)

Your hair really is very beautiful - I guess she just couldn't help herself! :-)

Themyst
December 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM
You MUST have looked stunning! I don't think I've ever seen a "2 compliments while out in public today" post! :thumbsup: Funny that that first lady was so loud! I think it's nice you had an audience! :agree:

You know, that is funny because it's happened before to me. And I didn't look particularly stunning today or anything. As a matter-of-fact, I looked a bit frumpy. I wore my plastic, purple nerd glasses and was slinking (as a 5' 10" person can) around with my black cape on.

Heh heh - well, just typing my description out makes me double think it a bit - perhaps I was asking for it. Almost sounds like I was a circus ringleader or something! Oh yeah, and I was wearing blue boots with a fur (fake) at the top! And black leather gloves! Why didn't I just have FLAMBOYANT ONE stamped across my forehead?!!

Perhaps I should go through my wardrobe.:o

Themyst
December 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
And thank you for the additional compliments, everyone. I've never really learned how to take a compliment well, just say thank you but I get so embarrassed. It's so much easier to just type about it behind a computer.

Really though, I'd be as interesting as chopped liver if I stood next to some of the hair I've seen on this forum!

Henitsirk
December 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Maybe the first lady was one of those people who pats pregnant ladies' bellies, too! I think long hair is pretty rare, so that plus cape and boots probably really caught her eye ;-)

Speckla
December 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
And thank you for the additional compliments, everyone. I've never really learned how to take a compliment well, just say thank you but I get so embarrassed. It's so much easier to just type about it behind a computer.

Really though, I'd be as interesting as chopped liver if I stood next to some of the hair I've seen on this forum!

With fried onions? :eyebrows:

I think you're a very interesting and nice person. Your personality shows in your posting.
________
Mercedes-benz g-class specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class)

intothemist1999
December 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
:rolleyes: I am an extreme introvert

Why didn't I just have FLAMBOYANT ONE stamped across my forehead?!!

OMG, you're a hoot!

I'm an introvert and I dress like one! lol :o No attention grabber here!!

Themyst
December 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
OMG, you're a hoot!

I'm an introvert and I dress like one! lol :o No attention grabber here!!

Heh ... yea ... :whistle:

I didn't intend to go out today, it was one of those last minute throw togethers.

And it doesn't stop there - sometimes I get a terrible arthritic inflammation in my hip and I use a stylish cane - my DH is a programmer and he gets terrible eye strain - he sometimes wears a patch on his eye (yep, just like a pirate). Nobody has seen us like that before.

We live in a very tiny town where people still have wayback mindsets. Everybody sees and knows everything. Sometimes I'm so tempted to dress up with all of the above and go arm in arm ... stylin' down the main street sidewalk! :D

Oh, strange thoughts indeed.

jojo
December 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Thats a wonderful compliment and well deserved too

Dreamernz
December 27th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'd compliment your hair if I saw it too!! It's lovely.
Ditto to that!!! :D:D:D

Miss World
December 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
You have gorgeous hair ^_^

Sissy
December 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
very lovely hair... it must have felt nice to get some compliments :)

sahiba
December 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
So glad you got compliment :) . Your hair deserves them .

Themyst
December 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Thank you all so much!:o

It's funny, sometimes you go out and no one gives you hardly a glance - but then you go out again and you cannot escape the attention! I've never been able to figure that one out.

Perhaps it's the seasonal fervor that so many people seem to get this time of year.

Arctic_Mama
December 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Your hair is lovely, and taking compliments (even online) can be difficult - I know I have a hard time gracefully accepting compliments because I am shy and insecure! But two compliments in one day has to say something!