PDA

View Full Version : VO5 Hot Oil Treatments

Sissy
December 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hi there,

I've learned a lot since joining this site and hoping to get some clarification on the following. I noticed quite a few members here recommend and use VO5 shampoos and conditioners on their hair. I was wondering, is there anything good or special about the VO5 hot oil treatments? Are they also highly recommended as the conditioner and shampoo from VO5 are?

I'm not sure that there would be anything about them that would make them superior to using a homemade treatment like SMT or EVOO or coconut, jojoba, shea butter, etc. Opinions please. :p

tigerironlady
December 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Does the hot oil products even excist any longer? I used them frequently in the -80íes, and at that time I had a really good strong and long hair. I have been looking for the hot-oils, but not found them in the stores around me. Then there was a lot of different kinds of hot-oil-treatments, but I think that VO5 and Loreal was the most common kinds.

Dolly
December 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, they are still around.....I have seen the VO5 treatments in my local CVS and Walgreens before....I was also given a Cholesterol hot oil treatment by Queen Helene this Christmas....haven't used it yet. I have heard that the hot oil treatments are good....similar to oiling with your own oils and putting on a heat cap.

Sissy
December 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Does the hot oil products even excist any longer? I used them frequently in the -80ķes, and at that time I had a really good strong and long hair. I have been looking for the hot-oils, but not found them in the stores around me. Then there was a lot of different kinds of hot-oil-treatments, but I think that VO5 and Loreal was the most common kinds.

Yeah, they're around. I'm just not sure if they're as good as making your own out of coconut, jojoba. It sounds promising if your hair was long and healthy. There is a woman I work with whom has long, soft hair. She keeps it up in bun most of the day and it's still wet at the end of the day when she takes it down. I asked her if she thinks her ends are so soft from the wet bun. She said she thinks it's due to VO5 Hot Oil Treatments.

So, what's the verdict? Are they anything special?

Aisha25
December 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Nothing special they have everything but oil in them,you can use it no harm done but you can do basically same thing with just coconut oil or evoo.
Water - Aqua , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Acetamide MEA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Hydroxyethylcellulose , PEI-1750 , Oleth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Methylparaben , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids/Lysin , Phytantriol , Polysorbate 20 , Keratin Amino Acids , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Fragrance - Parfum , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 6 - CI 15985

tressesntwists
December 26th, 2008, 11:59 PM
After all the reviews I've read, I'd say that overall opinion is somewhere in the middle - a good product, reasonably priced, works well and gets the job done, but nothing exceptional.

IMO, the good thing about the VO5 is that is does condition and soften nicely, but it also rinses easily from the hair without leaving a greasy residue or build-up.

One that seems to get consistently good reviews is Queen Helene's Cholesterol Hot Oil.

Wavelength
December 27th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Just a note that all the protein in the V05 might cause the ends to become crunchy instead of soft. Some people's hair (mine included) has this reaction to excessive protein treatments.

Sissy
December 27th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. At least I know now that if I decide to try one it won't be detrimental to my hair. I will look into the Queen Helene's Cholesterol Hot Oils as Sally's carries that line. Last night I went to bed with a combination of 4 heated oils on my head (jojoba, shea butter, sweet almond oil, and coconut oil). It's under a shower cap now and I'll use my heat cap in a bit then shower it out and probably follow with SMT. We'll see how it goes!

Electronika
December 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have some of the hot oils in my closet right now. I like them, and I think they work, Im just to lazy to use them.

HairColoredHair
December 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I just use plain ole oil... the protein messes with the moisture balance in my hair. :)

Allegra
December 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Just a note that all the protein in the V05 might cause the ends to become crunchy instead of soft. Some people's hair (mine included) has this reaction to excessive protein treatments.
Yes this was my experience. I used to use VO5 hot oil all the time in a desperate attempt to get my dry crunchy ends looking less so and they just kept getting worse. Only after discovering LHC did I read the ingredients and saw that it was laden with protein and that that was what was making my hair dry and crunchy in the first place!!
So try it, maybe your hair will love it, but watch out for the symptoms of protein over-load.

Copasetic
December 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I haven't used one of the V05 hot oil treatments in a while, but when I did, my hair felt dry and crunchy, like some other people have mentioned. I didn't like them at all.

I used the one intended to reduce frizz, if that makes a difference.

Kirin
December 28th, 2008, 11:47 AM
These treatments are good if your hair likes protein, if it doesn't the queen helene variety seems much better. I've used both and find them pretty equal to home treatments, actually, a lot less greasy.

If your hair doesn't take kindly to repeatedly washing out heavy oils, these are better IMO.

neon-dream
December 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
ohh i use these quite frequently
i love them! they make my hair so silky smoooth

Sissy
December 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
So try it, maybe your hair will love it, but watch out for the symptoms of protein over-load.

Hi there,
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Is the only symptom of protein overload dry, crunchy ends. I ask as I'm not really sure if my hair likes protein or not. How would I know? Would it just be that my ends are more dry/crunchy than usual? Are there any other ways to tell if my hair likes or dislikes protein?

Thanks!

HairColoredHair
December 29th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hi there,
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Is the only symptom of protein overload dry, crunchy ends. I ask as I'm not really sure if my hair likes protein or not. How would I know? Would it just be that my ends are more dry/crunchy than usual? Are there any other ways to tell if my hair likes or dislikes protein?

Thanks!

Dry crunchy, a little brittle perhaps... too much protein tends to appear the same as dry hair. :)

Allegra
December 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hi there,

Thanks!
Yeah, basically if your hair was fine before and you notice afterwards that it feels almost damaged, it's not, it just doesn't like protein.
So just pay attention to how your hair feels before and after the treatment :)