PDA

View Full Version : an interesting journal about hair growth

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol4num1/original/jankovi.html

I just found this journal which i found to be very interesting, it all evidence based too which is good!

hope you find it interesting.

birdiefu
March 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's quite interesting! I like how they break down which growth factors and hormones influence hair growth. Reading that made me think of a product I heard about years ago...maybe it might have applications for hair growth. Some places sell IGF in liquid form along with other growth factors, I don't know if you can get just the 'increasing hair growth' factors or not.

For example, here (http://www.healthproductsusa.net/12_pure_solutions_igf_health.htm?s=gawa&adgroup=Pure+IGF&kw=Pure+igf), or this (http://www.global-supplements.com/IGF-1-Lipo-Spray/) one may be better with a higher concentration of IGF-1. And would it work best orally or applied topically? Hmm...

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
glad you found it interesting, would be interesting to see what results would occur if it was applied topically.

Madam Librarian
March 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
This is interesting to me:

Animal studies have shown that substance P induces transition of hair from telogen to anagen phase. The same effect has been observed with the active principle of chili peppers, capsaicin, which releases substance P from nerve endings in skin.[19] Substance P also binds receptors on C-type afferent nerve fibers, producing pain.

I have read that some Fibromyalgia studies have found that people with FMS often have increased levels of substance P (as far as I know, this doesn't mean that substance P is the cause of FMS, it just so happens that more of it can be found in many of those with FMS). Shouldn't I have some more hair then? :D

It does help to explain why those chili pepper oils help some people to grow hair. I had just assumed the capsaicin was just stimulating circulation to the scalp.

It's fun to learn. :)

Ooooh! I also found this:

One of the imidazole antimycotics, ketoconazole, is an inhibitor of androgen biosynthesis and also an androgen receptor blocker, however its affinity for androgen receptors is low.

I wonder if this statement is the basis of the 'Monistat grows hair' theory? Maybe that is why I had no success with it. I already take an androgen blocker to control cystic acne. Hmm.

They also go on to talk about ketoconazole's use in controlling hirsuitism, which is *too much* hair (and in the 'wrong' places for women). Hmm again.

Neat article!

punky
February 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It is very interesting.

Linda K
February 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
That is an interesting article!
I also presumed the massage oils worked by reason of increased circulation bringing nutrition to feed the hair.

DH, a diabetic, has his feet checked at clinic visits. Doc always looks for hair on the toes - it tells her the circulation is good. Also, 3-4 months after a massive heart, all the hair on his legs broke off. His out flow is quite low. After a few months the stubbys disappeared.

I've been wondering if my hair growth is possibly slower because of tight neck / shoulder muscles. I go to phys therapy weekly to have this worked on. For a few years before starting PT, I didn't have to do my eye brows. :) (Now I have to again. :( )

ETA: Here (http://www.beautyassist.com/hair_loss.html) they talk about Iron deficiency - believed to be relatively common of telogen effluvium type hair loss.

Denebi
February 15th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the link to this article. Lots of technical terms I do not understand ;)
But! I think I got the tenor of it.

And one thing made me go :shocked: Ibuprofen causes hair loss. I've taken quite a lot of it the last years (which isn't good for other reasons, too, I know. And the dosage was increased over time). And that's mostly because I also have very tight neck/shoulder muscles. I tried to get rid of it, but have not found anything which would really help me there so far.

Well, at least, I've got something to observe here. I never thought of a coherence before reading this!

logica_divina
February 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Oh, look at that! My fellow Serbs wrote that! :) how nice. Thanks for sharing jojo! Very interesting.