PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for Amish hair pins

Girltron
December 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm really needing some good Amish hair pins because the silly ones I get at the drug store don't keep my hair up. I know people on LHC gush over the Amish pins.

So.

What length should I buy? I've got tailbone length heavy slippery hair. I'm curious what has worked best for most people.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Nini
December 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I've got some of all the three lengths I've come across. It just depends on what I'm using them for!

Since they're not expensive I'd suggest you give them all a try, and see what works better for you.

Nini

Girltron
December 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
OK-I definitely should have been more specific. What length would be best for holding up a braided bun that used all my hair? I'd go straight for the biggest size but wondered if someone had any experience to share.

(the reason I ask is I'm buying another hair toy this week too, and -ahem-I should be frugal!)

Nini
December 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
But see, these are necessities:p

If the braided bun is your main aim, I think I'd've gone for the longest ones.

CopperHead
December 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I use the longest ones and they work very well. It is amazing how securely these little things hold. :)

Delila
December 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I agree, I tend to prefer the longer ones.

In terms of local supply, though, I've found some hair pins at K-Mart that really seem quite similar to the Amish pins. They have a slightly rubbery coating so they don't slide out. I don't recall the specific brand, bit it was either Conair, Scunci or Goody. They came in a pack of 12, 6 brown, 6 black.

Girltron
December 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ha ha, well so much for frugality, guys...I went and bought 'em all!

I DO hope they hold better than the u-shaped wire ones I've bought at drug stores. Those things aren't worth a poo in my hair.

Curlsgirl
December 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I think I reach for the longest ones more but I have all three sizes too. I love these things. If they ever stop making them I will DIE!!!

Let us know what you think!

Girltron
February 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
You know something? I never received my order of Amish hair pins! I sent them an email today. Does it often take this long?

Carolyn
February 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I bought a package of each length. I use the longest ones most often but I really like the little short ones for tucking the last little bit of hair under the edge of a cinnamon bun.

misstwist
February 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
In terms of local supply, though, I've found some hair pins at K-Mart that really seem quite similar to the Amish pins. They have a slightly rubbery coating so they don't slide out. I don't recall the specific brand, bit it was either Conair, Scunci or Goody. They came in a pack of 12, 6 brown, 6 black.

It's Conair. I bought a package earlier this week and I really like them.

renarok
February 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
It seems like no matter how I use these pins, after a few hours they are backing out of my hair. It is so annoying. I am most happy putting my hair up with a plain old hair stick, or for absolutely bomb-proof hold, a ketylo fork. Something about the design of a Ketylo fork holds my hair forever. Rock solid and super comfortable.

K_Angel
January 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Is there a special way to put these in? What keeps them in when they are so wide??

anneisanne
January 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I might be late to the party here, but what are Amish hair pins? Maybe I need to go google...