PDA

View Full Version : Any other sensitive heads out there?

K_Angel
December 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
What are your tricks? I can't even wear headbands without it giving me a headache. I have to keep my hair at waist length because when it gets longer, it just gets too heavy for my head. So what have you learned to do as "go arounds?" Any tips or tricks?

jojo
December 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I dont have this problem but maybe a nape level bun may help even the weight out?

Chromis
December 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I cannot wear headbands or high buns. I have no trouble with weight though, so long as it is balanced. I normally wear my hair in a log roll (which is great for distributing weight) or a low nape bun. False crown braids are great too, and Imagine actual crown braids would also be. I do not wear my hair down during my daily life.

Gothic Lolita
December 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
When I was younger I too had problems with the weight of my hair. It hasn't thinned or anything, but I found out that it's just a matter of balancing, not pulling and §hiding" the length.

For example, I can't really wear a high ponytail long term, because the length (although it's only hip) is too heavy and I get headaches. But a cinnamon bun at exactly the same spot doesn't bother me, because the length is safely at my head.
You've got to try out which styles at which level of your head are most comforting. This might be a higher one or one a nape level. Just be sure to balance the length and don't make anything too tight - that's a cause for headaches too.

Curlsgirl
December 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have a lot of allergies and sinus problems which creates a tender head much of the time. I agree that it can be a matter of distributing and placement of the updo. I can't wear a ponytail at all hardly, just too uncomfortable almost anywhere I put it. But I can wear a bun almost anywhere if I use Amish pins most of the time. There are times when I just have to let it down because that is the only way I get relief. I think varying styles really helps along with scritching and not wearing the style too tight. Another thing that makes a big difference is the type of hairtoy or pins I use. Flexi-8s are usually much better than Ficcares I believe maybe because of the weight but not sure on that one. Amish pins and hair scroos are great. I do better not using elastics except to tie off the end of a braid. Hope some of this helps. Some of it is just practice on what is good for you.

Longlove
December 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I had the same problems with hairbands, until.....

I learned to stretch them out. Usually it's as simple as sliding it around a full roll of paper towels overnight.

HTH

BetterInBlue
December 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I get sinus headaches frequently, which wearing my hair up will exacerbate. I tend to wear my hair up because it is at an awkward growing-out length, but when I have a headache, this is just impossible. So if I'm headachy AND having a bad hair day, or just can't stand to have my hair down, then I tie it up in a bandana, similar to this: http://www.coveryourhair.com/HowToTieTiechels.html
My bandana isn't large enough to tie it that way, but it ends up looking like that when it's done. It's hard to explain exactly how I do it, but I wrap the bandana and tie it so my hair is completely covered and not constricted in any way.

AutumnLeaves
December 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a very sensitive head and do not wear plastic headbands either. I wear pony tails alot but must admit that my head feels extremely bruised when I take my hair down. Even just detangling can bring tears to my eyes. I usually wear my hair down or in some sort of half up fashion (either with combs or barettes). I have not figured out how to keep hair sticks in all that well (they usually loosen and slide out), but I have found that flexi-8s, hair forks, and hair combs all do well enough in holding my hair, usually without too much pain involved. I must admit though that my hair comes down as soon as I'm out of wherever I went that caused me to do something with the hair to make it look presentable. It usually does start to bother me after a period of time goes by...

K_Angel
December 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Great suggestions! Thank you all! :flower:

K_Angel
December 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Curlsgirl: I had been sort of "circling" the hair screws wondering if I could put those in my hair without problems. They are so pretty and I want so much to do some of the pretty styles I see on LHC, but most would hurt my head terribly. But the hair screws looked like they wouldn't pull or tug.

Has anyone used these yet? Are they easy on the head?

K_Angel
December 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Gothic Lolita and Chromis: You know, the balanced weight must be the key. I never really analyzed it before, but I can put my hair in a french bun without problems... and thanks to you I realize it's because it's balanced all up and down my head. Thank you very much! :) LHCers are the best!!!! :)

Auryn
December 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Curlsgirl: I had been sort of "circling" the hair screws wondering if I could put those in my hair without problems. They are so pretty and I want so much to do some of the pretty styles I see on LHC, but most would hurt my head terribly. But the hair screws looked like they wouldn't pull or tug.

Has anyone used these yet? Are they easy on the head?

If you're talking about the same thing I'm thinking about, they are pretty easy on the head, but the ones I have are for decoration and do not hold hair very well at all. I used them in an updo that had close to 50 hair pins in it.

K_Angel
December 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM
The things with the jewels attached to them? Then they sort of look like a corkscrew? Is that what you were talking about?

Periwinkle
December 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hair scroos, you mean?

Nicoliee
February 1st, 2011, 02:13 AM
My head is very sensitive. But it also seems to pick when it wishes to get a headache and when it doesn't lol. Sometimes even just one bobby pin can give me a headache and other times I can wear my hair up and have numerous bobby pins with no headache. I just do what I want and if I get a headache that's what aspirin is for. lol.

Flutterbee
February 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM
Amish pins are a life saver for my tender head. I can't use a hair stick very often because it pulls my hair ever so slightly, just enough to ache after a couple hours. And ponytail elastics, forget it. Those things are pure evil as far as I'm concerned!!

milagro
February 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM
I have no problem with headbands if they are not scratching but I can't stand the pull from ponytails, buns etc. I usually try to make sure my hair is not bunched all together but distributed more or less otherwise it's pulling by its own weight. I also don't like bobby pins, they slide and again pull hair.

pepperminttea
February 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Another tender-head checking in. :) From MBL high ponytails were a no-go, just too painful, and I avoid updos that involve a lot of twisting or start with a ponytail, the scalp-ache's not worth it. There are ways around certain updos though, like instead of starting a Chinese bun with a ponytail, using a braided start (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N54V8o-XGuE).

I use the Goody spin pins, rather than the original hair scroos, but I find they work well for me too, though I use 3 or 4 rather than the suggested 1 or 2, and I was thinking of buying another pack to up my collection to 6. They do pull occasionally, but nothing a bit of adjusting can't fix.

Curlsgirl, I find the opposite with ficcares vs. flexi-8s - I find ficcares more comfortable in direct comparison, I guess because the 'back' part of it is wider so there's more scalp hairs are supporting the updo? I'm not really sure, but it's interesting how similarly-tender heads can differ. :flower: