PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair type.

dalriada-lady
December 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
asking those more knowledgeable than me.

I've never understood my hair; when just washed and combed wet to detangle and it air dries my hair tends to look 1C/2A. but once it dries and i brush with a BBB ( 12 hrs. later.) the waves go away and my hair looks 1B sometimes even 1A/1B.

so what type am I? 1C/2A when washed and air dry or 1B when dry and brushed?

I normally brush with a BBB because my hair tends to part alot when not brushed and it looks messy.

Can anyone help me or am I just being too picky?

If necessary i'll share pics to help.

danacc
December 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
For typing, what matters is how the hair looks when clean and air-dried. Ideally, it wouldn't even be combed when wet before typing it.

rhubarbarin
December 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have problems with this too. Washed and air-dried my hair is dry and poofy and there's no curl or even much wave defintion - it's maybe 2a, but an exploded 2a. With product though, it's a 2c, and when it's humid 3a (at least on wash day).

I don't see how I can classify myself as a 2a, when the majority of the time my hair is all spiral curls and s-waves. On the other hand, if I brush or comb my hair (which I never do), nearly all the curl and wave will come right out.

I think it can be right near impossible to catagorize wavy hair.

Honey39
December 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I find the hair typing system really works for me in finding someone else with my kind of hair so I can copy what they do!! That's why I like it, to get good advice on what to do with my hair, and so it kind of works to see people with 2c/3a hair, because that is what my hair is most like most of the time.

Hmmm, sorry, that wasn't good advice, was it? Lol. I guess I'm saying that hair typing is useful to share advice, and I often find that say in a thread about brushing/misting etc, people with similar hair types as me experience similar things to me, so I like that.

I guess I would go with what your hair is like the majority of the time, although I like the idea of finding out the 'natural' state of your hair.

Anje
December 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Go with the uncombed, airdried hairtype.

I think many wavies would go into the 1s after using a BBB. Mine does, and I suspect that we've got about the same hairtype, down to the tendency to clump (which is common for F hair).

Incidentally, I've found a lot of people IRL like the clumpy hair look, even though I also would rather have a sheet of separated hair, like the 1a types I see on here.

dalriada-lady
December 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. very helpful, so now just got to comb wet to detangle then leave hair alone until i sleep.

I'm just so picky about my hair, specially when i grew up with very greasy hair as a teen, looked crazy there was no poo that would clean my hair well enough. spent 5 years looking like a drowned rat (drownd in oil!) so very special about how my hair looks.

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 06:56 AM
It seems I am in hair-type no-man's land too - I posted in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=19474 - though I am pretty positive I am a 2c it seems that others wouldn't think so. I just don't know *sigh*