PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Tie Off Your Braid?

Fantak
December 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I usually braid a satin ribbon into the last 5 inches or so of my braid and carry on braiding until I have only ribbon left. I wrap the ribbon round itself several times and tie it off.

I am now becoming paranoid about the ribbon rubbing again my fragile lower length hairs and making them split (*cringe*) or break (*faint*).

How do you tie off your braid to avoid damage?

Thank you and have a great holiday ^.^

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
A small fabric band with no metal :D

jojo
December 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
an ouchless terry bobble some use old tights to tie hair too.

Cantabile
December 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Your satin ribbon method sounds like it wouldn't cause any sort of damage :)

I use a small metal-free/non-glue-joined scrunchie.

crystal_89
December 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I just use a little, metal free hair band.

ladyfairington
December 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I just use those elastic ouchless bands, the black ones.

They work well for me, and they don't really move.

They do tend to slide out though. =/ <3!

Ursula
December 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
The satin ribbon should be fine, however I've found that ribbons don't hold well.

A plain hair elastic, ideally without metal, is fine, and secure. Even the ones with metal can be fine, if you're careful not to pull the metal against your hair. (When they first came out, they were a vast improvement over rubber bands! No-metal hair elastics are relatively new.)

RavennaNight
December 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I use these too. If I'm feeling overprotective, I will use a cloth scrunchie and fold the ends up and in.

Fantak
December 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I like the tights idea!

Elastic bands scare me 0.0

I will scour my drawers for old tights (preferably not too old :p) failing that I might try sewing the sides of the riboon together and turning it inside out. That way I get rid of the rough-ish edges.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Anje
December 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Teeny tiny jaw clips work really well. I find I get less damage with them than with terry hair ties, and they have the advantage of keeping you from leaning on your braid.

Ryanne
December 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
A scrunchie or an elastic without metal.

Aisha25
December 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I dont use anything my hair stays braided thanks God cause I cant wear scrunchies.

dalriada-lady
December 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I use a ouchless no metal ponytail holder when i go outside the house and use a crotched ponytail holder when at home.

I don't use ribbons, hair is too fine and the ribbon slips out within 10 minutes.

I keep my hair braided daily, simply unbraid in the morning, brush out tangles and braid again, then do it again before bed. but wondering if my hair would not benefit from being loose during bedtime three times a week to keep tangles and breakage from occuring.

sahiba
December 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM

I use these too. If I'm feeling overprotective, I will use a cloth scrunchie and fold the ends up and in.

Me too. :)

ItalianFlower
December 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I just use a scrunchie...

Lixie
December 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I tend to use my older hair elastics to tie of braids, they put less pressure on my ends but still hold well enough.

danacc
December 26th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I don't tie it off. It stays braided, although it gets looser at the end.

Fantak
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I dont use anything my hair stays braided thanks God cause I cant wear scrunchies.

Mashalla Aisha you have such gorgeous thick hair :o Inshalla this time next year my hair will be as long and thick as yours :D :pray:

Aisha25
December 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Mashalla Aisha you have such gorgeous thick hair :o Inshalla this time next year my hair will be as long and thick as yours :D :pray:
Thank you habibi ,InshaAllah it will be much more thicker and prettier:wink:

Fantak
December 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I use a ouchless no metal ponytail holder when i go outside the house and use a crotched ponytail holder when at home.

I don't use ribbons, hair is too fine and the ribbon slips out within 10 minutes.

I keep my hair braided daily, simply unbraid in the morning, brush out tangles and braid again, then do it again before bed. but wondering if my hair would not benefit from being loose during bedtime three times a week to keep tangles and breakage from occuring.

I brush my hair every other day, I find brushing every day means I'm seeing shedding every day which in turn sends me into a mad panic :p when I do it every other day I just tell myself it's two days worth and that makes me feel better :D

I'm kind of confused about how keeping it loose during bedtime would keep it from tangling and breaking better than a braid would.. could you please explain?

Ty!

Ursula
December 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Why can't you wear scrunchies? If you let us know the problems you're having, people may be able to troubleshoot for you.

Aisha25
December 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Why can't you wear scrunchies? If you let us know the problems you're having, people may be able to troubleshoot for you.
Everytime I would put a scrunchie a few strands would get wrapped around it and when I take it off at least 3 hairs would be stuck on the scrunchie even the cloth,velvet ones and would get pulled out so I just gave up on putting anything in my hair.

viking_quest
December 26th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I just use metal-free elastics. Now that I have some proper ribbon, I'll be using the ribbon to tie them up. If my hair wasn't so slippery, I'd braid to the very ends of my hair and not use anything to tie them up because I'm beginning to get fairytale ends, but I like tassels.

Angelina15
December 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I usually use an ouchless hair band, or a small piece of ribbon.

AngelInDisguise
December 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I use some ouchless elastic band.

Has any one of you ever tried Trash Ties or Knotheads for this? I am tempted to get me some but then again I fear I won't use them so often - maybe this could be another usage for them?

Auryn
December 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
If it's a single braid, I use a standard sized ponytail holder. I prefer to use the ones with the metal because they hold better than the non-metal ones. If I'm doing pigtails then I try to use the smaller kid sized ones so I don't have to wrap them around as much.

blue_nant
December 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I purchase little brown scunchi ties that look like small tights cut thin.

They sometimes slip off the ends of my braid from me leaning on it and then pulling the braid 'round front. Or out from under a coat like that.

I can't see how they'd hurt my hair unless I really got ridiculous about how many times round I went. ??