PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for hair to grow to a certain length?

backtolonghair
March 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hey there everyone! that's my question for you. How long does it take for hair to grow to a certain length. I know it differs from person to person but it would help give me encouragement while I am growing my hair out again.

I currently have 16 in hair.. it's shoulder length and would like to get it to the middle of my back as my 1st goal and then waist length for my 2nd goal. How long did it take you to get to these two goals? Thanks so much! :)

sapphire-o
March 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
You can start measuring it once a month and track the growth rate. After a couple months you should have an idea how fast your hair grows. Then figure out how many more inches you need to grow to your desired length. The average growth rate is 1/2" per month. So if you need to grow 8" and your hair grows 1/2" per month, it will take 16 months.

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
well i was about 16" (guessing was just on shoulder this time last year) and my goal is waist (maybe classic) and i hope to reach waist in July 09, so if your growth is similar to mine July 2010 would be waist for you!

Of course this all depends on height, whether you trim or not and hair type too!

Welcome to the LHC, stop around you will get lots of good advice, i have

AmandaPanda
March 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
also figure in trims, if you plan on getting any

Angellen
March 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I went from shoulder to BSL in about a year, with a few cuts and then trims. I went from BSL to waist in about 6 months (I was at BSL when I joined LHC, and am an inch or so past waist right now). If you measure your growth rate, you'll be better able to approximate. :)

Hypatia
March 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Mine went from my shoulders to mid-back in about seven months. It grows at over an inch a month. I'm within three and a half inches to my waist now, and it's been fourteen months from a short bob to get that far.

Good Luck!

Katze
March 26th, 2008, 02:22 AM
welcome!

Many people here measure their hair regularly on the 1st of the month, then make a note of it. I'm a bit too chaotic to remember this (busy paying rent and bills and such!) so have never done it...also, my hair is very severely tapered, so I don't like to measure to the very tips.

I'm trimming, too, which makes it even harder (getting rid of damage) but it looks like my hair grows between 1/4 and 1 inch a month.

The average head of hair grows about 1/2 a month, or so the experts here say. So in ten months, you'll have 26 inch hair (theoretically...) - which on me would be almost mid back.

You've also got to factor in height and head size. Some people are mid back at 22 inches!

good luck figuring it all out,

Katze

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Mine went from my shoulders to mid-back in about seven months. It grows at over an inch a month. I'm within three and a half inches to my waist now, and it's been fourteen months from a short bob to get that far.

Good Luck!
you lucky bugger! im only at apl from cropped bob and its took me 27 months and ive only cut once! thats great growth you have had

paper
March 26th, 2008, 03:22 AM
My hair stylist tells me my hair grows really fast. I just recently started letting it grow, I've took pics, but only started measuring few weeks ago.

I can tell you, I went from chin length hair from Sept. 07 to shoulder length hair now.

Good luck!

anna1850
March 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
For me from shoulders to waist would take about 2 years.
A bit over a year to BSL and about 9 months to waist.

But as everyone has said it's best if you get a tape measure, measure how far away the goals are and divide it by your growth rate. My growth rate is 0.5" per month which is pretty average but yours could be faster or slower.

backtolonghair
March 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Thank you guys for all your responses about this! It's pretty encouraging!:) I can't wait to see the results! I will have to do as you suggested and measure it once a month and see how much it has grown. Thanks so much!! :)

backtolonghair
March 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Oh and if anybody else would like to add some info about hair length and such and their experience, please feel free! I love hearing about this stuff!:)

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
My hair grew from APL to hip in two years. That's about a foot of distance, which would put my growth rate at average (1/2 inch per month = 6 inches per year). I had trims every 3 months the first year, every 4 months the second year. My ends turned to garbage, though; I cut them back to waist+, as you see in the current sig pic.

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/collage2.jpg

That's my timeline from shoulder (or a bit beyond) to a bit beyond waist. Since september I've been growing an inch a month. Can't say how fast I was growing before then because I had never measured.

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
welcome!

Many people here measure their hair regularly on the 1st of the month, then make a note of it. I'm a bit too chaotic to remember this (busy paying rent and bills and such!) so have never done it...also, my hair is very severely tapered, so I don't like to measure to the very tips.

I'm trimming, too, which makes it even harder (getting rid of damage) but it looks like my hair grows between 1/4 and 1 inch a month.

The average head of hair grows about 1/2 a month, or so the experts here say. So in ten months, you'll have 26 inch hair (theoretically...) - which on me would be almost mid back.

You've also got to factor in height and head size. Some people are mid back at 22 inches!

good luck figuring it all out,

Katze
dont you mean 20 months Katze o.5 x 20= 10 +16=26" :)

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 02:47 PM
just thought heres a thread i started which is a similar question to yours
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=672

suicides_eve
March 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
well i went from a short pixie to shoulder length hair in about 7 months, took off a total of 2.5 inches trying to even my messy layers an thin tips( used thinning shears for spike i texture) i need about 12 more inches to get back to my original starting point before the bleach melted my hair:( Damn you manic panic and your wide variety of beautiful colors and my naturally dark hair:p

backtolonghair
March 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies about this. It's really cool to see how far some of you have come. It's encouraging!:) The last time I had waist length hair was when I was 16. That was 12 years ago. Woah! can't believe it!! I feel like I"m going back in some weird way to the way things were before in growing my hair out this long. Has anyone ever felt that way?
Thanks again!:)

squiggyflop
March 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
well as you can see in my siggy my hair was just past shoulder in august... not even armpit length yet... the second pic was taken in mid february... my hair really is waist now only my hair is wavy and my ends do this weird flip thing that makes me appear to be just past bsl...
i trimmed off 2 inches in the last 7 months so i was growing about an inch a month.. but its slowed down lately...im planning to do more trims so that eventually all my chemically damaged hair will be gone leaving only healthy hennaed hair. however my bangs dont seem to grow as fast as the rest of the hair... look at my pictures albums to see how much ive grown in the past 7 months... i think it took less than 3 months for me to get to the top of my brastrap..annother month and a half to get to the bottom wet... annother 3 to get to waist when hair is wet.. (sometimes when it dryes straighter it will actually look waistlength but most of the time my hair drys wavy

goodenough
March 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I am pretty average--about a half-inch per month. I get a half inch off every three months to get damaged colored ends off. I think I might let it grow now until the fall, then get the last bit off damage off (inch and a half). I also might let her put more layers in to give me a better taper for updos (I have fat hair.)

So--I went chin to shoulder in a year, then grew to armpit in 6 months with many trims. That's where I was fall 2006. I only had a two trims in 2007, and went past bsl. I'm maybe three inches from waist. I'd like to be waist with damage chopped off this fall. I can't see having it longer than that, because I'm very long in the torso, so it's long on me, and also because it's really thick. Plus, I like to blow dry and use heat styling once a week or so, so I don't think super-super long is for me. It's fun to think I'll be at my goal this year:)