PDA

View Full Version : Your bun is not sitting perfectly, a bit to one side.. now what?

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
If this happens to me on a work day.. Oh arghhh I can drive myself bonkers with retrying until I finally get it right!

What about you? Does your do have to be perfect.. or?

Melisande
March 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
No. I'm lazy. I simply put in asymmetric hairsticks and that's it. Or I pull the upper part out and make it look messy.

After a number of hours, I have to open a bun anyway and make it nice again.

But in my workplace, there is no need for a polished look, so I don't count...

pookatrina
March 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
As long as the hair is still contained in the bun I'm ok with it no matter how much it travels.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I admire you! That is for sure. I want it to be pretty much perfect. I don't have much time to redo it during the day, so that also plays a part :)

PatGear
March 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
My buns are alway off to the left side. I try to make it closer to the right to no avail. It actually works out ok this way because I insert the stick/fork with my right hand so the top ends up on the right. The head of the fork/stick balances out the lobsided bun and make the overall look more centered.

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
believe it or not- I am anal about how my bun sits.Yes,the one in my siggy is very messy but it's sitting right.And it was put up by a hair fork and for once,didn't fall.I was super proud.

anyway-I do sit there and redo and redo my bun untill its just right.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank goodness *bows to you* I am not the only one! :D

kettle
March 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm the same. It drives me mental. I have to have it central. Even worse is if it starts to come out while at work; I have to rush to the loos, and you know it's never going to be central or comfortable if you're rushing and getting paid... I usually end up very angry and in a ponytail if that happens! (I'm a waitress at my SU. So it's not even like it's important!)

lavenderblue
March 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
It can be messy, have no problems with that, but it has to be in the middle, no doubt about that :)

Cricket
March 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
If I can't get mine to sit properly and neatly, I end up heading to work with my hair down... or taking the late bus in.

Alaia
March 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Someone should start an asymmetrical bun group.

I'd join.

I try and get my buns in the centre of my head but they always end up skewed. Meh. I can never be bothered to fix them because they are never in the centre. I got used to it.

mira-chan
March 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
My buns tend to go towards the right a bit so I start them a bit to the left. That tends to help. Also I take into account that my hair is much thicker at the base than at the ends which often leads to the lobsidedness too.

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I find that if I have a bun that's off to one side, I can usually grab the whole bun and move it more toward the centre, and then put the hair stick back in.

rubyredslippers
March 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
If I am leaving the house, yes, my bun definitely has to be centred. Or at least, not noticeably off-kilter. I'll redo it multiple times, if necessary. However, if I am simply throwing it up with a pair of sticks to keep it out of the cooking or whatever at home, then I don't care so long as it stays.

Magdalene
March 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I kinda like mine off center sometimes!

eresh
March 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
It has to be neat and orderly ;-)
If a bun starts to lower of move to the left or right, or too much hair is escaping, I will do it over until it is just right.
I don't take smoke breaks, I take bun breaks ;-)

Madeleine
March 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
If it's not in the middle I'll redo it.
And I use the same trick as mira-chan - I start my bun further left than I think it should go, that way it'll end up centered.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I mostly say to myself "You know you have a crooked head.." and just try to go with it.

Every now and then though, I just can't let it go buy and have to re-do it.

AJoifulNoise
March 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
It drives me INSANE when my buns are off-center or crooked... Or bigger on one side. Or in any way imperfect. I try very, very hard to fix it. But, if I run out of time, I will leave it be. However, it bothers me all day.

Ursula
March 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I fix it - my head feels uncomfortable and off-balance otherwise.

Part of my standard updo routine is to measure back from my ears by holding my hands flat against my head, and seeing if the bun is centered. If it isn't, I immediately fix it, which only takes a moment since most of the coil formation is already done. I've been at this long enough that it never takes more than a second try - I just know to adjust the starting point or starting angle slightly on the redo.

Cricket
March 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
My biggest nightmare is getting my big sock bun in perfectly, and THEN noticing that its off center.

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
There is nothing symmetrical about me and never will be, so my buns are always off center/crooked/lopsided. I never try to fix them. I'm really glad it's not one of the things I'm anal about or else I'd never get to work on time!!!

chelles2kids
March 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. It's usually though that however I can get it up smoothly is how it will stay for the rest of the day.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only other person out in the world without perfectly centered buns!!:p

Michelle

ReadingRenee
March 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
mmm I can't be perfectionistic about my hair. If I was, I would either shave my head or wear nothing but big hats.

My buns are almost always offcenter and there is always some piece or another sticking out. I just remind myself that I have admired off center buns on other women before and hair dos with tendrils hanging down and I go about my day.

Im just not a polished type person so I don't try to make my hair be polished either. Its definitely a losing battle for me. :)

Starr
March 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Most days it doesn't really bother me if my bun in off center, but if I'm going somewhere it has to be straight. . . I hate thinking about how other people may be thinking that I have a lopsided head, lol.

AJoifulNoise
March 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Part of my standard updo routine is to measure back from my ears by holding my hands flat against my head, and seeing if the bun is centered. If it isn't, I immediately fix it, which only takes a moment since most of the coil formation is already done. I've been at this long enough that it never takes more than a second try - I just know to adjust the starting point or starting angle slightly on the redo.

I do this too!

hrimfaxi
March 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It used to bother me a lot more than it does now. I am in college and some days I can hardly even be bothered to run a comb through my hair (pulling it out of a nighttime braid and fingercombing is all good as long as the end product looks presentable, right?), much less redo a bun until it sits properly... if my hair is misbehaving I will make a loose bun, force it into the centre, and apply a Ficcare Maximas. This usually solves it. :P

MusingFrog
March 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'll redue and redue until its right. I have learned that with certain hair accessories I have to change where I start the bun though. If I'm wearing a Ficcare I have to start the bun way on the left for it to balance once the Ficcare is inserted. If it is hairstick is needs to be very slightly to the right. If it is an inside-out bun (nothing but the weight of the hair holding it up), I need to start very far to the right. I've kind of just learned those as time went on, and all create a very centered balanced bun for me. If I can't get a bun to balance I'll quit trying and do a bee butt bun with a scrunchie. Not my favorite for looks, but I can deal with that a bit off center.

blondecat
March 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have troubles with buns being straight too.
I just stick a big flower in next to the bun to even it all up.
It's pretty and makes it look like I've done the bun on the side deliberately :)

trollkjerring
March 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
My hair is to short for buns now but even my messy updos have to be perfect, the way I imagine them to look or I will try again and again till they are perfect.

I am so looking forward to be able to bun again and I know from the past that buns have to be perfect, no escaping hairs or messy updos for me. Just a perfect bun with only one hairstick, no pins or additional hairtoys - one should be enough.

I am not a pefect person but my buns have to be perfect.
trollkjerring

velvetcat
March 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I need it centered, but not because of a perfectionist thing, but because otherwise it pulls on my scalp.
I can't get a symetrical bun, my hair is really thick and then thins out quickly after BSL. It's still thick (comparatively speaking) but it's about half the volume as the base. When I put in a bun, the first half will be large and thick and then it quickly becomes small.

I'm really hoping that eventually my hair will have a more uniform thickness through the length, making my buns much nicer.

savi
March 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
If it doesn't pull on my scalp I leave it be. Besides most of my buns are more or less asymmetrical, on purpose, so I don't stress over it.

Rapunzelwannabe
March 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Oh god, it happens to me all the time! I'll usually try and re-do it unless the rest of my air is chic-ly messy as well and then it kind of looks like I did it on purpose. It kind of throws off my balance but it's a small sacrifice if it looks nice. :)

Scorpeo
March 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM
For the most part, yes, I am a symmetrical person. I like my buns centered and even and my braids centered as well. If I do an updo, and it isn't centered, I redo it.

Sometimes I try to do a different updo, and if I can't get it right, I do it over, and if it's getting late, then I just go back to the tried and true cinnamon bun. I can generally get those quite even, at least they look that way to me.

Smokering
March 10th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I'll occasionally leave a less-than-dead-centre bun, if I'm in a hurry or not going anywhere; but it'll annoy me all day. If I can see more of the bun (or any updo) when I face the mirror by turning my head left than I can by turning it right, or vice versa, it bugs me. Especially when they're so skew-wiff that different bits are visible at different heights--so, if I turn my head left I can see a bulge of hair under my ear, but if I turn it right I can see a bulge of hair over the top of my other ear. You know? I may be overthinking this whole issue, of course... :p

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2008, 03:57 AM
i check it with a mirror, if it is embarassing ill do it again, if its lop sided or messy ill leave it. who cares. it will just get poo in it anyways. and by poo, i mean animal poo not shampoo! well that too, afterwards.....
:) i work in a pet shop, in case u didn't know i mention it all the time tho!

shrimp
March 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Mine always sit to the left, no matter how much I try to get them centred or off to the right to compensate.

It used to bug me, but in all honesty, I don't really care all that much. As long as they stay up and my hair toy is to my taste I'm happy.
Noone has ever bothered to tell me I had a wonky bun :D
Now, wearing glasses for the first time in a while however.......

Kyamo
March 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I don't worry if its a little to the side, it almost always is, but I am pretty picky about the scalp hair lying flat and neat. That will make me redo it.

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I *prefer* to have my bun centered, but if it's just not gonna happen then I deliberately put it way off to one side, slap on a pair of really long dangly earrings and call it a day.

I try really hard to not sweat the small stuff, and having my bun centered is totally small stuff to me!

Anje
March 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I try to have my bun centered, at least relative to my ears, but it does seem to like to sit left of center. If I notice it, I'll fix it the next time I have the chance. I'm usually anal enough about it that I won't forget, but given all the other imperfections of my hair (like the halo and/or horns that sprout from updos after a few hours), I'm not worried if I can't fix it immediately.

ETA: Now on the other hand, if the bun's pulling, it's gotta come out right away. I'll wear my hair down before I put up with a bun that's yanking my scalp hair.

cassie_g
March 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'll try once to get it more centered and then give up when that fails to work.

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I don't wear buns very often in the winter but when I do wear any updo I have to have it centered or redo it. Mine tend to go to the right. Sometimes I can do like Franny said and just take it a move it a bit over and restick. It doesn't take me that long to do it over again though.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
October 26th, 2011, 04:02 AM
If I start twisting my bun from the centre of my head, it's always more on the right side. That's why I try to grab hair right behind my left ear. If twisted from there, the bun is almost perfectly in the middle. I think it depends on the direction of your twist and if you have taper. I have quite a taper, so my bun is practically made of the first half of my hair. This makes it look like there was more hair on the right side.

nobeltonya
October 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Yes, both because I'm mildly OCD [perfectionist?] and because the longer my hair gets, the heavier the bun. I can feel it pull to 1 side and it just bugs me. :p

uptosomeone
October 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I HATE being able to feel that my bun is off center. My balance feels completely screwy until I fix it!

PinkyCat
October 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Ugh - I always have to do my hypno buns a few times before I get them centered. Drives me nuts.

Chromis
October 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
As much as I would like mine to be perfectly centered, it just doesn't happen very often. I just don't seem to be a very symmetrical person in general. My glasses are ever just slightly askew no matter how much they are adjusted, my part is half an inch off the middle, one foot is a half size different (and so is one boob). Even my eyebrows are a bit different!

I doubt anyone but me notices though, so I just go with it. My part has been this way my whole life, no matter how much I have tried to move or get rid of it. My buns seem to naturally be off as well, no matter how I start them or fiddle around.

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty anal about perfectly-centered buns. I'm at a point now where I can almost always get them centered one way or another, which is a huge relief - and there's always a giant flower or dramatic hairtoy to counterbalance it if I just can't make it work.

What I'm struggling with now: I want to wear double buns, and I just can't seem to get them symmetrical. One is always higher or bigger or further off to one side or something and I just :justy:

eta: the picture in my avatar is one time that I got it to work, I was so proud. but that was about four inches ago, and the longer my hair gets, the harder it seems to be to make two identical buns.

Rosethorn
October 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I don't care how sloppy the bun is but if it's off to one side I absolutely must try to center it. It's so distracting to know it isn't centered. I'm glad I'm not alone.

heidi w.
October 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I wear, now, for the most part, the same updo almost daily. It slides downward during the course of most average days, and occasionally lists to one side depending if I kind of didn't bun it more centered. I figure it's the way it is, and generally don't worry about it.

It can be a bit aggravating when it concerns work because there's usually some kind of standard regarding dress and professionalism that one typically seeks to maintain.

Most will never notice your hair unless it's outright falling out. Which has also happened to me.

I generally live with it, and get to the ladies' room on occasion to re-set the whole thing, since my daily bun is held together by one hair stick.

heidi w.

intothemist1999
October 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I finally remembering to do mine a bit to the left, because it always shifts slightly to the right as I go. THEN...when I add the Ficcare Max, IT sits way to the right, and just never looks right (my main gripe with the Max's...they don't center over a cinnamon bun).

Amber_Maiden
October 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I let it be. Like I did it on purpose... shabby chic lol.... Like imperfect perfect messy buns :D

Kate_1221
October 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I can't stand it when my buns are off to the side. If I have to, I spend ages making sure my bun is as much to the middle as I can get it to be.