PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I forgot!

ursusem
December 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have another question:

How can I know if I have good hair or not? How can I know if the routines that I'm doing are making my hair better- or worse?

DragonLady
December 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
You have to decide for yourself whether or not it's "good". Then, just change one thing at a time. Do something one way for a month, then decide if it's better, or worse. Then try something else 'till you get a whole list of things that make it better.

Islandgrrl
December 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
What are you doing?

ursusem
December 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
"What are you doing?"

Imagine all the things that could possibly affect hair. How could I possibly begin to answer that question? Maybe I am a person who has a natural way of complicating things... :/ Thanks for bearing with me anyway :D

Eboshi
December 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
If you are truly interested in improving your hair, here are two articles that you may find helpful:

How to determine your hairtype:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5)

Standard newbie advice:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)

Honey39
December 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think it's quite hard because we don't know what your hair is like! Mine is thick and wurly, so what works for me won't work for someone who has fine, straight hair for instance.

What worked for me is to read the forums, and to look out for people with similar hair to yourself, and see what they do, and try that!

CO-washing is popular, as is oiling. No using heat appliances is pretty common sense.

Do you mainly wear your hair up or down?

ursusem
December 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Honey39,

I usually wear my hair up- in a "spiral bun" (I get a lot of compliments, too) I am afraid of wrecking my hair if I wear it down while I'm working/ busy.

ursusem
December 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
"The first conditioning of a CWC wash helps keep the shampoo off the length of your hair, so it doesn’t dry out, while the second ensures that all of your hair is well conditioned. The result can often be hair that is softer and shinier, and less prone to tangles."

What is a tangle? Is it the same as a knot/ snarl? I know I'm a pretty dumb person...

Flaxen
December 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
What is a tangle? Is it the same as a knot/ snarl?
Yes it is.

DragonLady
December 24th, 2008, 02:29 PM
What is a tangle? Is it the same as a knot/ snarl? I know I'm a pretty dumb person...

What language do you usually speak? You may have luck finding someone fluent that can help you better, becase when you write in English, you sound a bit...strange?

I think if we knew more about YOU, we could understand what you're asking better, and why simple comments are confusing to you.

Teacherbear
December 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
"What are you doing?"

Imagine all the things that could possibly affect hair. How could I possibly begin to answer that question?

If you can tell us what you are doing, then we have a place to start in offering advice. Until we know more it is very difficult to offer much advice. Of course, there are more than 4,400 posts just on this subforum discussing hair care. Feel free to read those to get some ideas.

Pierre
December 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
"The first conditioning of a CWC wash helps keep the shampoo off the length of your hair, so it doesn’t dry out, while the second ensures that all of your hair is well conditioned. The result can often be hair that is softer and shinier, and less prone to tangles."

A single hair can have a knot, but it takes two to tangle ;) Generally when I get a tangle, it consists of one hair in a loop about some other hairs, or two hairs bent in sharp angles around each other, or a hair with a knot and another hair looped around it. Hairs in tangles usually are rough, whereas knots can happen in smooth hairs. Sometimes a shed hair is tied to the end of a still-attached hair.

I second DragonLady's question. We have people who speak Dutch, French, Spanish, Catalan, Norwegian, Icelandic, Turkish, Japanese, and Hochunk. So if English isn't your first language, please let us know.

CestMadeleine
December 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I second DragonLady's question. We have people who speak Dutch, French, Spanish, Catalan, Norwegian, Icelandic, Turkish, Japanese, and Hochunk. So if English isn't your first language, please let us know.

You can add Romanian to that list too :)

LisaJaney
December 25th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Pierre, that was hilarious: takes two to tangle! :lol:

Aditi
December 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM
What language do you usually speak? You may have luck finding someone fluent that can help you better, becase when you write in English, you sound a bit...strange?

I think if we knew more about YOU, we could understand what you're asking better, and why simple comments are confusing to you.

Exactly, i want to help you but until and unless we don't know a little about you and your hair routine we won't be able to help you or understand what kind of answer you are looking for.

Fantak
December 25th, 2008, 04:48 AM
You can add Romanian to that list too :)

And Arabic :D

YaY for the multi-nationalism if LHC! :joy:

Arctic
December 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Lot of Finnish here too :D

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I usually look for several things such as shinyness, amount of grease in hair, any dandruff, amount of splits, dryness and fullness of the hair, but to be honest it depends, if you have a day after trying something out where you think wow, my hair feels so lovely and it's making me smile than you know you're having a good hair day :D:D:D

mira-chan
December 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
And Arabic :D

YaY for the multi-nationalism if LHC! :joy:
Russian too. :D

Anje
December 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Tons of folks here who speak German and Swedish, too.

A good place to start I suppose would be to look and feel your hair and see if it's dry (especially at the ends), if it breaks easily or stretches a lot, does it have many split ends. Is it shiny or dull?