PDA

View Full Version : What type of Henna do you like and why?

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
What type of henna do you like and why?

Do you like the grey coverage?

Blends with the virgin hair better?

Less grittiness?

More orange or red tone etc?

With so many Body Art Henna to choose from which ones do you prefer? Which hennas are you comparing it to?

Exampes:
Yemen Sana Region
Jamalia Super Shift
Indian Rajasthani Region
Morocco Western Sahara region
Pakistan
Syrian
Iranian

Or any other BAQ Henna not mentioned/

Kirin
March 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Jamilla for hair. Cost effective, great for a gloss and lighter color. Covers greys just fine, but can be orangy... after 2-3 applications orange is gone, builds wonderfully. Little gritty but not terrible.

mellie
March 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I use dark brown Rainbow henna, actually because it is gritty! I tried BAQ henna from hennaforhair.com, but it was so fine that my husband had a terrible allergic reaction to it (me, too, in a lesser way). I thought I might have to give up henna altogether. But, Rainbow henna is OK for us. It is easily found for me and affordable too. It blends perfectly with my natural color and colors my grays very well without being too red.

MadHatter
March 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've used Rajasthani (sp?), Yemeni, and Jamila henna.
I prefer the Jamila. It's nice and fine, the color I get is ideal, and it stays put extremely well.

prosperina
March 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I use Catherine's Indian henna--I believe that's the one that's supposed to be for more coppery reds. I like it, can't think of any reason why I don't. A tad expensive, but I use so little of it at a time, that's not really an issue anymore. And of course back when I used chemical dye, I was a feria junkie and that stuff is pricey.

And to answer your questions: this is the only BAQ henna I've used. I think Lush's henna works just as well, and I'd go back to it if I weren't mixing my henna with cassia. The henna cassia mix fades as it is, so I need the slightly stronger dye content. It also washes out easier than Lush.

akurah
March 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I prefer BAQ, I have no strong preference for crop, but I'm mildly fond of Rajasthani, and I'd pick that if I had to pick a preference. I also like Yemeni, but I tend to purchase whatever. Sometimes I go for the cheapest (tends to be BAQ for hair, which will not be as finely ground as BAQ for body, but it is still 100% pure henna).

I HATE LUSH HENNA. It is a pain to get into any sort of consistency that can be applied to hair, be it grating it or trying to "melt" it. The cocoa butter is annoying at best, and the dye doesn't deposit as much color as BAQ, probably because of the impurities and that the henna probably isn't as fresh as it could be.

Light Mountain henna is okay, I prefer it over LUSH but I prefer BAQ over Light Mountain.

quidscribis
March 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah, the henna I get here has no indication of where it was grown or when, so I have no idea about any of that. Lack of local labelling laws, ya know? :) But I use only BAQ because my hair was previously synthetically coloured. I've used two different brands, one obtained locally, the other obtained in Dubai, and both coloured the same - orangey. I would prefer redder if I could get it.

jel
March 26th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I tried Lush Caca Rouge, and BAQ (for body - finest sift) Rajahstani, Yemeni and Jamilla (Pakistani). Oh, and a very long time ago I tried Body Shop henna, which had no colouring effect whatsoever. For the last year or so I've been using Jamilla, more recently mixed with cassia for a lighter colour.

Possibly because it was the first BAQ that I tried, I have very fond memories of the Yemeni henna in terms of colour. Unfortunately, I can't find it any more (or for a reasonable price). But I'm happy with Jamilla, it's red rather than orange, but I'm mixing it with cassia to prevent burgundy tones building up.

Currently I only henna the roots, and occasionally gloss the length with leftovers mixed with conditioner. I'm very happy with the coverage, though I haven't got many grey hairs yet.

Also, I love the fine, smooth texture of the BAQ, and wouldn't go back to Lush because of the grittiness.

khyricat
March 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have 2006 jamila in the freezer.. I bought a kilo of BAQ2 and thats what came.

Morticia
March 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I love Jamila. I get a burgundy wine tone with it, it covers my grey hairs, and it rinses out easily. It's the smoothest henna that I've ever used. I buy it from Catherine, and always try to get the most recent summer crop available.

Lexie
March 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I like BAQ Jamila because it mixes to a silky paste that's easy for me to work with.

Never had a problem with gray coverage, so not the best judge of that.

My natural color is so dark that there's no way any henna can truly blend with it. It can give me pretty fiery red grays though.

Definitely less gritty than what I've used otherwise.

I don't know. The first time I used it, I went from fiery orange-red to burgundy quickly on bleached blond hair. After another bleaching, I only got as far as a fiery red--which I find perfect--even on the roots which had only been bleached once. So I don't know what I did differently. Maybe something I used in my mix.

I don't honestly know what I'm comparing the Jamila to because when I haven't bought that, I just ordered henna for hair from Mehandi or Castle Art. They're unmarked, so all I know is they're pure henna. Didn't like the texture of the pastes--they weren't as smooth and creamy--but the color wasn't any different as far as I could tell. Also, Jamila seemed the least offensive as far as smell. But I don't like the scent of henna, so the less for me, the better.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I use Rajastani at the moment, but I'm thinking of switching to Packastani/Jamila just because it tends to be cheaper :)

Haven't gotten my henna crop experiments back up yet, but everything I found there made me see that there's little difference in the henna itself, so long as it's BAQ, and that it's much more the other factors (mix, heat, time, personal hair texture) that makes the difference in color and results :)

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I use Rajastani at the moment, but I'm thinking of switching to Packastani/Jamila just because it tends to be cheaper :)

Haven't gotten my henna crop experiments back up yet, but everything I found there made me see that there's little difference in the henna itself, so long as it's BAQ, and that it's much more the other factors (mix, heat, time, personal hair texture) that makes the difference in color and results :)

Nightshade,

In theory, I totally get how it is the same Lawsone dye molecule that reflects light back, and therefore it should be the same colour.

Yet, to me the Jamila looked more red.

Also if I compare the Jamila and the Yemen. Both gave a a noticable different immediate colour to my greys, then oxidized to a slightly different colour.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Nightshade,

In theory, I totally get how it is the same Lawsone dye molecule that reflects light back, and therefore it should be the same colour.

Yet, to me the Jamila looked more red.

Also if I compare the Jamila and the Yemen. Both gave a a noticable different immediate colour to my greys, then oxidized to a slightly different colour.

I don't dispute that one bit :) I'm just saying that in a controlled experiment, they all dyed the same (and oxidized the same), but that was on mohair. With the many variations on human hair, there may very well be differences in dye uptake and oxidization, but I think they're pretty subtle and that the other factors I listed above affect the color a lot more than the type of henna used. :flowers:

MadHatter
March 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I thought Jamila was reputed to be a little more on the orange side? Maybe that's only on skin..

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I don't dispute that one bit :) I'm just saying that in a controlled experiment, they all dyed the same (and oxidized the same), but that was on mohair. With the many variations on human hair, there may very well be differences in dye uptake and oxidization, but I think they're pretty subtle and that the other factors I listed above affect the color a lot more than the type of henna used. :flowers:

Thanks Nightshade.

I would love to see any experiments done with henna and amla. I did see some pictures in your Henna article, are those the ones you are refering to?

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
The lock in the upper right of my experiment was half henna, half amla and the color was severely inhibited. The henna didn't release dye as much, and didn't stain as well, producing more of a golden color than anything. Its color didn't change as much with oxidization either.

:) I put up the experiments, and I hope the pictures are working (can't see anything from photobucket at work).

You can check them out here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=34845&postcount=13)and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=34848&postcount=14).

morningstar
March 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I remember your experiments Nightshade Very thorough and interesting. I think like you said it all has to do the mixing and the hair and skin it is going on. I wonder as far as skin/hair stain (noted the different colors we experience on hair and skin) if our natural ph and all the chemistry there is in our own bodies is what determines how we take an herb or how we absorb it. I have only tried Rajasthani and it worked well for me so why try something new? Well when I see the dark burgandy stains of another henna I start thinking of trying something else. I need to order in the next day or two and still can't make up my mind. They all look so beautiful.

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the links Nightshade.

In the article picture, for some reason I thought the 50% - 50% was henna and cassia. So I was going to make that.

For some reason, I thought the amla would be more ashy or a cooler colour.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM

In the article picture, for some reason I thought the 50% - 50% was henna and cassia. So I was going to make that.

For some reason, I thought the amla would be more ashy or a cooler colour.

I think the reason amla produces a cooler tone in henndigo is that it inhibits the henna and lets more of the indigo color come through :) I have no proof on that, though.

almudena
March 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I've used Rajasthani, Jamila and Yemen. I got the redder tones with Rajasthani, with Yemen medium red and with Jamila orange on my whites. My hair is a very dark auburn and the difference is only noticeable on my whites. All are BAQ.

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Thank you Nightshade for your patience with my questions and your experiments.

I am trying to figure the right colour for my greys, virgin brown hair and chemically treated hair.

Girltron
March 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
For texture alone, Yemeni outperforms anything else I've tried. I've tried all the other crops Catherine sells as well as Rainbow (yick).

For color, I have noticed a difference among all the hennas. Also a difference in permanence, as the Rainbow never stuck longer than a month. I think maybe each crop has characteristics BESIDES the Lawsone that might react differently in my hair.

I have the most difficulty avoiding burgundy with Yemeni. But when I do it right, mix with enough Cassia, leave it on just long enough, the color looks a million times better than with any other henna. The others were carroty.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think like you said it all has to do the mixing and the hair and skin it is going on. I wonder as far as skin/hair stain (noted the different colors we experience on hair and skin) if our natural ph and all the chemistry there is in our own bodies is what determines how we take an herb or how we absorb it.

I think that's what t comes down to in a lot of the cases :)

50/50 cassia henna looks like this :) (this was from a henna demise experiment, it shows the breakdown of henna and henna/cassia over a period of 52 hours).

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaExperiment4.jpg

I've used Rajasthani, Jamila and Yemen. I got the redder tones with Rajasthani, with Yemen medium red and with Jamila orange on my whites. My hair is a very dark auburn and the difference is only noticeable on my whites. All are BAQ.

Another thing that may affect these colors is how the henna was stored and how long it had been at room temperature rather than properly stored in a cool place before it got to you :) Alas, we have no way to know the shipping conditions that the herbs are transported in, so I'd expect you could see the same crop/region of henna produce different colors based on their treatment during transport alone, much less all the other variables :shrug:

Thank you Nightshade for your patience with my questions and your experiments. I am trying to figure the right colour for my greys, virgin brown hair and chemically treated hair.

No problem :) I'm happy to prattle on about henna to absurdly long lengths ;) Are you trying to match your brown or go red?

For texture alone, Yemeni outperforms anything else I've tried. I've tried all the other crops Catherine sells as well as Rainbow (yick).

For color, I have noticed a difference among all the hennas. Also a difference in permanence, as the Rainbow never stuck longer than a month. I think maybe each crop has characteristics BESIDES the Lawsone that might react differently in my hair.

I have the most difficulty avoiding burgundy with Yemeni. But when I do it right, mix with enough Cassia, leave it on just long enough, the color looks a million times better than with any other henna. The others were carroty.

Agreed to the yick on rainbow. I think part of the lack of stick is that rainbow (and Light Mountain) often spends a lot of time on the shelves of health food stores, which may be why the dye is weaker and doesn't stain as well in general :confused:

Add into that crop nutrition, soil condition, shipping methods, etc, and yeah, you're going to see a lot of color variation. The trick is trying to peg what causes it for some and not others. :shrug:

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Nightshade,

No, I am not trying to match any exact colour between my virgin hair and my chemically treated hair.

I found that straight henna has made my hair dark around my face. That is with two applications. So I am looking at something that will keep the henna lighter.

I also have grey temples. I would like the colour of the grey to become lighter then the dark auburn I got with the first time I did the henna.

I know that the redder tone of Jamila does not suit me as much asmore orange tone. The red orange of Yeman is not great either. I think I will combine the two and see hoe that is on me. But I love the red. I love your hairlength.

My plan is to find a mixture that I like on the greys, so eventually as I get more greys, and they are coming faster :( , my growing hair will look natural and good against my skin.

I know that I can't always do a whole head and need to do the growth.

I like the idea of Jamila and another henna mixed with cassia and amla.

I am having a hard time with cassia dye release or else I would have had it on my hair already.

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have a question about henna demise. When I make henna for skin, the mix lasts up to a week. That's terped with clove oil etc. I also keep it in a cone, so little air gets to it.

Now, I noticed that you listed 52 hours in your experiment. That's pretty close to a color I'd like to use, but mostly I'm glossing for conditioning, and just a bit of color. Do you leave it uncovered, or cover it? And how long was the mohair left in the mix?

Sorry, I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but since it came up....

Oh, and as to the original post, on skin I find that the different hennas do seem different, but that may be due to freshness or processing. I only use BAQ on skin but most generic Indian stuff from the Indian store, tends toward orange, and the Jamilla, on me anyway, tends redder.

Nightshade
March 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I am having a hard time with cassia dye release or else I would have had it on my hair already.

You won't actually see any visible change in the henna/cassia mud when the cassia releases dye. The first time I tested cassia alone, I couldn't tell anything had happened until I rinsed out the mud and the mohair was more golden :)

I have a question about henna demise. When I make henna for skin, the mix lasts up to a week. That's terped with clove oil etc. I also keep it in a cone, so little air gets to it.

Now, I noticed that you listed 52 hours in your experiment. That's pretty close to a color I'd like to use, but mostly I'm glossing for conditioning, and just a bit of color. Do you leave it uncovered, or cover it? And how long was the mohair left in the mix?

Sorry, I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but since it came up....

Actually, what about something like this:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/Cassia.jpg

That's mohair soaked for two hours in a mud that was 100g cassia, 2TB henna, 3TB honey, and the liquid portion was chamomile tea. I didn't let it sit for dye release, just mixed it up with the warm chamomile and then applied to to my hair right away. I did the test lock on a whim to see what sort of color (if any) my hair was getting. After oxidization the strand got a titch redder, but not much :) That may be easier than waiting for the henna to demise, and mixing in the honey also makes rinsing out a snap (though in my other experiments I've seen that honey does inhibit both the dye release and the uptake of henna, which may be partly why this stayed so golden).

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
That's mohair soaked for two hours in a mud that was 100g cassia, 2TB henna, 3TB honey, and the liquid portion was chamomile tea. I didn't let it sit for dye release, just mixed it up with the warm chamomile and then applied to to my hair right away. I did the test lock on a whim to see what sort of color (if any) my hair was getting. After oxidization the strand got a titch redder, but not much :) That may be easier than waiting for the henna to demise, and mixing in the honey also makes rinsing out a snap (though in my other experiments I've seen that honey does inhibit both the dye release and the uptake of henna, which may be partly why this stayed so golden).

I've done cassia three times now, I don't really think my hair likes it. It gets greenish, then just dull. The henna gloss was so much better with nice color and lots of shine. The honey might be a good addition though. I'm really looking for that henna shine and just red highlights.

Thanks for answering!

Lexie
March 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM
How about henna in gelled chamomile tea? If you make it thick enough, you can get away with just a touch of henna. And you can still add your honey to it.

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
How about henna in gelled chamomile tea? If you make it thick enough, you can get away with just a touch of henna. And you can still add your honey to it.

I used chamomile tea as my base, but I don't know how to gell it--I'll look that up. Do you still add conditioner? I like that I didn't go through a dry phase after hennaing like I know some people do. I have dry hair, and I'm quite protective of my ends.

Lexie
March 28th, 2008, 09:57 AM
You can use the conditioner instead of the gelled water then! :D And you can just add the chamomile to it. If you're using tea bags, just open them and mix the contents into the conditioner too.

Gelled liquid is fairly easy if you still want to give it a try. Just add some cornstarch to room temp. liquid. Dissolve it and then bring the mixture to a boil while stirring. Let it boil for about 1 minute, constantly stirring now. Then remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. I stir until it's about lukewarm, but I don't know if it's really necessary. Better safe than sorry though. Mix in the henna powder when it's cooled and you're all set. :)

squiggyflop
March 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM
i buy something called dulhan deluxe henna powder... it costs me a dollar for 100grams so it only costs me about a dollar to do my roots every month... ive got about 10 of the little boxes sitting in my freezer...
i love that it only has to sit for 3 hours before its ready to go in my hair and i only have to keep it on my head for an hour to acheive the color i want... i get it from a store thats in the next town over from where i live so the convenience factors in too.
cheap
effective
convenient
nice even color... a bit orange the first day but after a couple of days the color is perfect...
oh did i mention that it doesnt take very long to rinse out! i just have to mermaid soak my hair for 3 minutes and it all comes out.. then i just condition and go about my day...

EvilPigeon
March 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I prefer Catherine's BAQ from Yemen. It has a very nice finely ground texture and the paste glides on smoothly. I find that it has a higher dye content than the other powders( I used some of my sister's Jamilla and the stain wasn't as dark) which is great,because I'm going for a darker red rather than copper.

Henna Sooq
March 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
What type of henna do you like and why?

Right now I like Indian henna for the best reddish tones, but moroccan was my first love. I am going to switch and try out yemeni soon, after I finished with my cassia treatments (to tone down my henna using honey, and chamomile tea)

Do you like the grey coverage?

I don't have grey at this time

Blends with the virgin hair better?

It blends well, 10 yrs worth!

Less grittiness?

Jamila has the absolutely BEST sift of all body art quality henna powders. Indian is next, moroccan and yemeni are almost tied. But yemeni can be a touch gritty.

More orange or red tone etc?

I enjoy reddish tones not orangey tones.

With so many Body Art Henna to choose from which ones do you prefer? Which hennas are you comparing it to?

As for Jamila henna is comes from Pakistan.
Jamila marked summer 2007 is the so-called bridal henna and has the absolutely best sift and is very fresh.

Exampes:
Yemen Sana Region
Jamalia Super Shift
Indian Rajasthani Region
Morocco Western Sahara region
Pakistan

Or any other BAQ Henna not mentioned

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Henna Sooq,

May I ask what you liked about Moroccan henna?

Is the Indian henna the same kind of red like the Jamila?

I found the Yemen is more orange actually orange red compared to the Jamila which was red.

I mixed your Indian with the Yeman yesterday, I used half of it with the cassia. I am waiting for it to oxidized to see the final colour on my greys.

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
You can use the conditioner instead of the gelled water then! :D And you can just add the chamomile to it. If you're using tea bags, just open them and mix the contents into the conditioner too.

Gelled liquid is fairly easy if you still want to give it a try. Just add some cornstarch to room temp. liquid. Dissolve it and then bring the mixture to a boil while stirring. Let it boil for about 1 minute, constantly stirring now. Then remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. I stir until it's about lukewarm, but I don't know if it's really necessary. Better safe than sorry though. Mix in the henna powder when it's cooled and you're all set. :)

Thanks, I think I'll remember that--I'm already planning my next henna!

Rain
March 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I've used the garden variety BAQ henna from Mehandi Shop, Lush hennas (huge messy pain!) and Jamila. Not the widest variety but of that, I like Jamila best. I got the most awesome red (not orange) stain from it.

Henna Sooq
March 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
It's funny how different people get different results from the same henna. I am just beginning to wonder if the affects of the orangey tones of the jamila we spoke about in the past, must have been a different crop or was for hair usage etc... I didn't think about asking those questions at the time.

I actually put some yemeni in my mother in laws hair this past visit during spring break, and she found it too orangey as well, and then we switched back to the jamila she says likes it better, and it looked fine on her. That was jamila 2007. I don't usually have any "hair" quality jamila henna, as the jamila 2007 does so well on it's own. If there are leftovers from when the 2008 comes out then the 2007 goes for what I call "hair" quality. Because it is a year old by then.

As for Moroccan henna, I love the smell. It is the best smelling henna, to me at least. I find that moroccan is good for those wanting to get brown to black tones easily and quickly and not have any reddish tones peeping out. Like for my husband I always use moroccan on him, and we recently starting adding a bit of indigo so it comes out more brown and not any reddish/orangey tones. Because most men have low hair, we don't really want to see all that henna on the skin/scalp that shows through. So I find the moroccan very effective for that, and MOST men I deal with go for that. I guess because I recommend it, but they also are happy with it!

Moroccan has the fastest dye release of any of the henna powders, so it works for people who really want to use henna and go! It can be mixed and used within the hour. It gives nice tones, but I don't find it so reddish as indian can give a person right away. Henna build-up always helps too to deepen a color.

The indian henna is quite similar to the results you would get with jamila.

MeMyselfandI, please let us know how it comes out.

I don't mix my henna powders for my hair but put indian and jamila together for body art. That really makes it the best of both worlds! Creamy texture with a touch of stringiness. It flows so nicely.

Khadija

MeMyselfandI
March 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
HennaSooq,

I liked the Jamila red, so I am happy the Indian has a similar colour.

What colour does the Moroccan henna give on white/grey hair? Does it cover well on grey?

I have only used what I bought from you. All products were 2007 crop. I am waiting for the 2008 to come in, you were sold out last time. (I picked up my order at the fling.)

I am happy for you, to hear you are having another girl.

I will post how it turns out. I did combine the Yemen/Indian henna with cassia. I like the fact that my lengths and virgin hair do not look very dark this time. The length still looks the same it did after the last henna. The virgin hair looks darker then it would have alone. What I like is that the individual grey hairs now have colour. It looks very natural. I am still not sure how natural the henna colour is on me. (My chemically treated length got very dark the second time I used henna, at least indoors.)

Henna Sooq
March 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
MeMyselfandI, now I am trying to figure out who you are!! I didn't realize that you were a Montrealer and we met because everyone has their handles on different forums and I really get mixed up sometimes.

The fling went well by the way. We played guess the herbal powders game and the most anyone could guess was like 2 out of 8. I told them to study for next year lol!

The moroccan does cover grey well, but if you really like more reddish tones then I would stick with that rather then having some orangey tones with the moroccan. It is good for coverage but I feel it works best for creating those browner to black tones, as then it covers very well.

I would be more then happy to let you sample it first though. I am waiting for 2008 still and if it is a very good crop, I will be sure to order a lot of it this time.

MeMyselfandI
March 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Henna Sooq, I only picked up my purchace at the fling. I said to you, that I thought you were having a private conversation when you first pulled up, so I waited for you to come inside. I also picked up items at your home once. Changed plans, then got there late because of traffic. Actually getting home that evening, after staying in your fine town to enjoy Chapters and have supper, took us less then half the time then to drive to your place.

The people at the fling were a nice group of ladies. We chatted.

I would love to sample some first.

Henna Sooq
March 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I know getting to the west island is a real trip, let me know more details off the forum. You have my email :) We can chat in detail more there regarding what we are speaking of, so as not to take the thread off topic.

Hope you are enjoying this sunny day! What a clear blue sky today.

chotee
March 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I love yemeni henna mostly because of its somewhat sticky consistency. It kind of glue's to my hair and the color is deep. Also it mixes well with my fenugreek powder which i add for protein.

chotee

jupiterjuniper
March 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I like Jamila so far since I've actually been noting which type I'm using, but the best results I ever had was with some pre-mixed brand from an Indian store which had mangled English instructions for how to do it. But it was pretty stinky and hard to get out. With the jamila, I did the "mermaid soak" for 30 seconds and stood up and the rest came out super easy.

MeMyselfandI
March 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
My Indian/Yeman henna mixture experiment. I got copper penny colour on my greys and warm brown red colour on the rest of my hair.

I really like results. I am so very happy I decided to combine the two hennas.

The 1:1 ratio of henna to cassia left my hair not looking as opaque and much more natural. My virgin hair does not look as dark (almost black with the second henna), just browner.

My latest henna (Yeman/Indian)/cassia application colour is settling on a copper penny colour on my greys and a warm medium red brown colour on the rest of my hair. Of course in the sun it is red/orange coppery.

An added bonus of this latest mixture is the fact that the demarcation line between my virgin hair and dyed hair is not as noticeable. I am very pleased with these resluts. This hair colouring looks good on me and much more natural then either the Yeman or Jamila on their own.

First time, I used Yemen 2007 crop alone. After oxidation, I ended up with an orange red auburn colour.

The next henna I tried was the Jamila supershift summer crop 2007 alone. After oxidation, I got a red colour. I found that with this application henna that my hair felt opaque, not as see through as when I had only used henna once.

Twice, I used coconut and honey to remove some of the henna. I wanted to get rid of some of the opaqueness I felt that the second application gave my hair.

I was not 100% satisfied with either the Yemen or the Jamila colour. So the next time I mixed the Yemen with Indian (similar red colour like Jamila) henna to see what colour I would get. I was hoping somewhere between the Yeman and Jamila, since I felt they were the two extremes.

I decide to use 50% cassia, to avoid the opaqueness that I felt my hair had after the second henna application.

My henna paste was:

1/4 Yemen Henna Summer Crop 2007,
1/4 Rajasthani Indian Henna Fall crop 2007,
1/2 Cassia Obovata Fall Crop 2007.

I made the Cassia the day before with tea (1 chamomile bag and 1 bag sleepy time tea in 1 cup filtered water)and a vitamin C. The next day, I mixed the two henna powders together took an equal amount by volume of the henna powder and mixed it with the cassia. I added extra tea. Kept it in the oven at about 110F for 4 hours. Then applied on my hair and then left the mixture on my head for about 7 hours.

I am so much happier with the oxidation colour this time. It has been 2 1/2 day and the colour is settling on a copper penny colour on my greys and a warm red medium colour on the rest of my hair.

Next time I want to try Moroccan henna mixed with cassia 1:1 and see what colour it gives me. I think by HennaSooq's descritpion, I think the Moroccan henna may suit me.

...The moroccan does cover grey well, but if you really like more reddish tones then I would stick with that rather then having some orangey tones with the moroccan. It is good for coverage but I feel it works best for creating those browner to black tones, as then it covers very well. ...

After that I will decide if I will use the Moroccan henna or the mixture of Indian and Yemen Henna in my henna/cassia mix.

mommy2one05
March 31st, 2008, 06:42 PM
so where can you find henna items and what are they used for?

prosperina
March 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM

The henna thread should be around in this forum somewhere....Go to articles and read the article about henna, it will list some henna suppliers. Then you might start at hennaforhair.com. They sell henna and have lots of info.

Henna is used to condition and dye hair red. Other herbs can be added for other colors. Henna is completely permanent.

MeMyselfandI
March 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM

Here are two articles to get you started:

Expressions with Henna- Coloring Hair Naturally (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7)

Herbs and Essential Oils for Hair and Skin! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25)

If you are mean where to buy henna and other thigns. Good henna can be found at various places. Many people who deal with Body Art Henna have real henna.

I am very happy with www.HennaSooq.com

Different members have mentioned various suppliers in their posts.

ilovelonghair
March 31st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I use henna from the healthfood store. It was supposed to be a light mix, so I actually bought it for my partner, but didn't trust it and tried it out on myself, the results were good for me, but I'm happy I didn't put it on his hair :D. I also used henna from India and it gave the same results. Now I don't leave it in for more then an hour, because I have just started henna-ing and want to be careful. I have collected a strand of my hair (by saving my shed hairs and putting them together one by one) and I will use that to experiment on to see how dark I can go and if it becomes nice or awful.

Henna Sooq
April 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
Chotee, that is a really good description of that henna!!

MeMyselfandI, hey there! That is quite the ellaborate recipe and procedures you have been up to lately. Did you find any henna build up like Tracey said? I know you really liked her color, and she told you what she did right? The experimenting is fun and we always can play around with our recipes!

MeMyselfandI
April 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Chotee, that is a really good description of that henna!!

MeMyselfandI, hey there! That is quite the ellaborate recipe and procedures you have been up to lately. Did you find any henna build up like Tracey said? I know you really liked her color, and she told you what she did right? The experimenting is fun and we always can play around with our recipes!

Henna Sooq,

Thanks.

I originally mixed the cassia and 12 hours later I had not noticed any change in it. It did not stain the tissue. So I mixed the henna into it and put it in the oven to heat up. I like quick dye release. Cassia is teaching me patience. (Nightshade procedure helped me out a great deal. I was getting worried about the cassia. She mentioned a food dehydrater in her procedure, so I used my oven. My house is not warm in the winter.)

I am not sure what you are referring to as to what Tracey told me. She did tell me she used Jamila. I found her hair had a more orange red tone then what my hair looked like after the Jamila. Tracey's hair was more red then what mine looked like after the Yemen. I know that red does not suit me. Nor does bright orange. An orange red is much better on me. I noticed a bit of brown in my hair really helps in making the colour look good on me.

When I had seen Tracey, I had only done one henna application with the Yemen. So there would have been no henna build up. I did mention to Tracey some build up of chemical dye that frames my face. The chemical dyes did not leave an even colour on my hair. I found that when I used the henna, the different patches were more apparent then. I am ignoring the darker strands of hair. I am waiting for them to grow enough so they are not in front of my face. Then only other option would be to remove all the henna remove all the dyes, dye my hair my natural colour and then henna over all of that. I do not have anything to remove the dyes safely off my very damaged hair.

I do not think I had henna build up after the second time I used henna on my hair. Maybe it was. All I really know is that my hair looked opaque, and not normal to me at all. My second henna application was the Jamila, it left a red colour on my hair. Very nice colour, but it did not suit me. I used the coconut/honey to remove as much henna as I could.

My hair now looks like I used a translucent gloss to give it colour, instead of painting a colour on my hair. I am not sure if that the hennas are like that or the fact that I used the cassia.

I used the cassia, because I wanted my hair not to look opaque or whatever it was called at least that is why I tried it. I am not sure if using different ratios of cassia will lighten the shade on my greys or not.

My ultimate goal is to find a recipe that the greys look really good and that as my head fills up with greys, the colour of the hennaed greys look good once they are all over my head.

Henna Sooq
April 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Okay got it! I got your email too. Just trying to catch up with one email box at a time.

When all that new growth comes in, it will also help you settle on your recipe and working with your natural hair will prove easier then with the damaged hair.

So the cassia 12 hours? That is a long time. I heard some left it out that long. I haven't seen much of the comparison tests, if it has been done. As currently I felt leaving it 3-4 hours for dye release was sufficient but perhaps I just haven't looked closely enough at the 12 hours and compared.

What I meant regarding Tracey's hair was that she has had henna build-up to have the color she has, and has been doing henna for years now. I know only recently she altered her recipe a bit because she missed the curl/wave of her hair. She added some amla powder for that.

Nightshade, is amazing in all her time and effort she has put into helping natural hair care grow and compiling it all in an organized way. I have had people calling me with questions, and when I recommend the forum here and mention NightShades name, I have had them say OH I LOVE HER!!

I know with time we all find that recipe that works for us, and even when we use it for awhile and get comfy with it, there is still opportunities to play with it in the future.

MeMyselfandI
April 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Henna Sooq,

I can't wait to have a lot more unchemically treated hair showing.

The only thing I remember about Tracey's hair was the colour. I really liked it and I told her so. She told me that she used Jamila. She has a nice wave/curls as well. (I wanted that all my life. I have straight hair, period. LOL) I did not look at Tracey's hair close enough to notice anything about what it looked up close.

When I used the Jamila, my hair turned to are colour, nothing close to Tracey's colour. The shade was way off. It was not a build up of intense colour. If that makes sense.

I did not see any opaqueness in your hair. I was not looking for it. I noticed gorgeous long sleek black hair. At least it looked black or very dark brown.

I love playing with colour combinations and repcipes. I do not want to wait two weeks etc. I could do this everyday. Yes I know I need to wait 3-4 days to see the real colour.

I agree about Nightshade, I enjoy reading the info on henna. She has been very helpful in answering my questions relating to henna and cassia.

Ktani has been very helpful to me over at the honey thread.

Lexie gave me the idea to use the chamomile instead of the lemon juice.

There are some amazing women her helping us with their experiences.

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Nightshade, is amazing in all her time and effort she has put into helping natural hair care grow and compiling it all in an organized way. I have had people calling me with questions, and when I recommend the forum here and mention NightShades name, I have had them say OH I LOVE HER!!

:o Khadija, you're making me blush something awful over here.

I can't get to my photobucket account, but I did a test with just warm water and cassia, and it had a faint golden stain after just an hour on the hair. The thing to keep in mind is that heat speeds dye release. When I add my chamomile tea to my henna/cassia it's just shy of steaming (sometimes still). Between that and keeping the bowl someplace warm, you'll get just as much dye release (if not more) than if the same mix were blended with lukewarm water and left out someplace at room temperature for 12 hours. :flowers:

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM
I agree about Nightshade, I enjoy reading the info on henna. She has been very helpful in answering my questions relating to henna and cassia.

Ktani has been very helpful to me over at the honey thread.

Lexie gave me the idea to use the chamomile instead of the lemon juice.

There are some amazing women her helping us with their experiences.

I think the best thing about this place is that we have an open area to trade ideas and experiment results :)

There are some places where that's not welcome, hence why I'm getting my henna from Khadija, now :D

MeMyselfandI
April 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
I think the best thing about this place is that we have an open area to trade ideas and experiment results :)

There are some places where that's not welcome, hence why I'm getting my henna from Khadija, now :D

I totally understand and agree with you Nightshade.

I love different ideas and hearing different experiences and ideas.

Henna Sooq
April 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Welcome! and I only tell the truth :)

For one I am all about doing experiments and being open when it comes to henna and natural herbs because I LIKE henna myself and I also am not about being somewhere where this is not welcomed. There is no one way. I even altered that as an important point is that regardless of what you are told, is that you will find what is best for you and your hair. Every person's hair is as unique as they are.

So why do you think I really frequent here so often compared to anywhere else? Because this is the place to be at! and it's obviously not only me that feels that way. We make it what it is.

By the way, where has parijata been? Is she back on the forum?

By the way when we say the 12 hours for dye release then we are not really talking about the cassia sitting out by itself right? We are speaking of henna and cassia sitting out together for that period of time? Does anyone let their cassia alone sit out for as long as 12 hours, and if so was there any significant difference between the 3-4 hours compared to 12 hours sitting?

Lexie
April 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I've been wondering about Parijata too. I'm so tempted to indigo my hair right now after all the lightening I've been trying to do. I think I'm just tired of that routine and jumping to indigo only would be so much easier than even hennaing first. My hair does soak up and hold onto indigo well. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm so tempted.

Does anyone know if a 2 step followed by a second indigo only might offer more of a blue black? That's my real goal I think, and if I actually can achieve it, I'd be sold on this plan. There was a time when my entire wardrobe was blue. I kid you not...black is my favorite color, but blue is second. Love it. But with my 2 steps before I got jet black. It was pretty, honestly, but I want blue... :(

Henna Sooq
April 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
hhhhmmm parijata has a lot of experience in that for sure. I miss her!

Would cassia with the indigo possibly make a more blue-black tone? got any hair you could hair strand tests?

Nightshade
April 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if a 2 step followed by a second indigo only might offer more of a blue black? That's my real goal I think, and if I actually can achieve it, I'd be sold on this plan. There was a time when my entire wardrobe was blue. I kid you not...black is my favorite color, but blue is second. Love it. But with my 2 steps before I got jet black. It was pretty, honestly, but I want blue... :(

I've been meaning to test getting blue black with the addition of crystalized indigo to the second step. I know it can't be used alone, but this is what it did to mohair in about 10 minutes, which is pure white to start:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/WoadStrand1.jpg

It does stain the HELL out of skin, though, and is watery, not a mud at all, so you'd need to add it into a normal indigo treatment, I think:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/WoadHand.jpg

Lexie
April 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'd be afraid of going green from using cassia with indigo. :D That's the scary part for me cause I hate green. I'm considering only indigo because my hair just drinks it up and it never leaves. But that's my experience post-henna, and I wonder if it would be very different without henna at all. I think I'd better achieve the blue without it, but I don't know.

I have a brush, but I only use it if I really can't find my wide tooth comb and I'm in a rush. And I don't shed as much as I used to, so there's very minimal hair in it. Not enough for a test of any sort. :(

Catherine was warning against using the crystals recently. I don't know anything about them. I did consider them, but one of her customers apparently trashed her daughter's hair with it. Don't want to take any high risks with my hair anymore, so I just don't know. I don't have anymore mohair even. :( So sad.

MeMyselfandI
April 3rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
I am not sure if the indigo plant reacts the same way as the sodium salt of indigo used for pH testing.

5,5'-Indigodisulfonic acid, di-Na-salt
pH range: 11.4 - 13.0 blue to yellow.

Which means:
pH 11.4 and lower it is blue.

pH 13.0 and higher it is yellow.

Ranges between 11.4 and 13.0 it is between blue and yellow.

Nightshade may be on to something about using with cassia. I think the blue in indigo is so strong it would over cloud the yellow of cassia.

To get a nice blue colour, I would assume you would need to start with white hair. In my mind, all I can think of is damaged hair to get it white.

Lexie what about a small snip of some hair to try with indigo dryed leaves for hair.

Another question, would indigo saturation on henna 2 step method give a blue tint?

Henna Sooq
April 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'm gonan go and find Parijata because she did so many tests and while I have the pics, for cassia and indigo I really want to ask her first and ask her to come on the forum if she can.

Khadija

MeMyselfandI
April 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'm gonan go and find Parijata because she did so many tests and while I have the pics, for cassia and indigo I really want to ask her first and ask her to come on the forum if she can.

Khadija

Khadija,

That would be great.

Henna Sooq
April 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
I just emailed her so I will wait to hear back from her :)

Lexie
April 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Aww, yay. :) Thank you, Khadija.

I'm a little iffy about snippings because I read a long time ago that hair likes to be the same length which I may have misinterpreted, but I do keep every strand the same length. That information could also be old and outdated, but I do like the layers anyway with my wurly hair. If I were to snip even 1/4" anywhere, I'd end up cutting it all 1/4" shorter because if I didn't, it would gnaw on my mind eternally. Obsessive compulsive as I am. :(

Those pH values are incredibly high...

What I can't understand is what varies to cause some to get blue-black hair and some to get red-black or purple-black and even just jet black. I want to know how that works exactly. Is it timing? Additives? Hair chemistry itself? I mean, will one person be more likely to end up with one color than another no matter what he/she does? Parijata might be able to answer that for me.

MeMyselfandI
April 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Lexie,

Yes the pH numbers are high and they are accurate. (In case you are wondering. ;)

I have no idea how indigo works. I would love to see experiments.

I never heard about the thing about hair loves to be one length.

What does that really mean?

All one even length in the back (hem line), does not mean that individual strands on the head are the same length. A blunt cut in the back will reslut with the hair at the top back of head and the hair at the nape to be a few inches difference in length.

So much for many layers. I am debating layers with long hair.

Lexie you have so much hair, snipping thin samples of hair from the back of your nape, will not be visible to others. You will know. Do you take the challenge?

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Those pH values are really high. I was wondering about that, because of the story of severe damage by using the indigo crystals. Perhaps it can be attributed to simply pH.

MeMyselfandI
April 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
The pH range I quoted, is the range at which 5,5'-Indigodisulfonic acid, di-Na-salt changes colours.

I bit of the 5,5'-Indigodisulfonic acid, di-Na-salt in water, will be blue in an acid solution , neutral solution all the way up to a pH of 11.4.

I have no idea what the actual pH of 5,5'-Indigodisulfonic acid, di-Na-salt
actual is.

Lexie
April 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I think Catherine had said, or at least implied, that the damage was because of the pH.

The book wasn't really clear on what 'one length' meant. I just figure it can't really be called that when some strands are longer than others, but that's just me being nitpicky in my own mind. I use a Flowbee, so it's not like it's any trouble for me to keep it that way. Besides, my hair looks horrible when it all falls to the same point. It gives it a very triangular look because it's not straight so it doesn't just smoothly lay against me.

If I didn't recently trim, I'd go ahead and take a piece and just even it all up, but it's going to be a couple months before I'd be willing to remove any again. I have all this new growth...I'm eagerly waiting for it to catch up.

MeMyselfandI
April 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Lexie,

That is for the crystal indigo, Ancient Blue. Not to be used on hair.

I am assuming that indigo leaves has the same dye in it, so at any pH under 11.4 would give the blue colour, including water. In my mind to get a green colour from indigo, the pH would need to be over 11.4, that would be way to high for any thing to be put on hair.

I was refering to your comment about green hair.

The major BUT, is what colours in the hair are interfering with the look of blue.

lisanoemi
April 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I have used Rajasthani and Jamila from my local Indian market and I prefer Rajasthani because it gives me a darker tone of burgundy and more shine. The Jamila gives my hair a lighter orange shade which it doesn't go with my skin tone although I found it easier to apply. I mix it with black tea and a little bit of lemon juice, sometimes I add a little cinnamon for the scent but I don't get a different shade when I use it.

Lexie
April 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I know. That's why I was saying I'd stay away from the crystals. That and I really don't need to be buying anything new right now. I already have 100g indigo just sitting around.

IIRC, in the old indigo thread, a few people mentioned green tones and I believe they had used cassia just pre-indigo. That's why it scares me.

Nightshade
April 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Lexie,

That is for the crystal indigo, Ancient Blue. Not to be used on hair.

I am assuming that indigo leaves has the same dye in it, so at any pH under 11.4 would give the blue colour, including water. In my mind to get a green colour from indigo, the pH would need to be over 11.4, that would be way to high for any thing to be put on hair.

I was refering to your comment about green hair.

The major BUT, is what colours in the hair are interfering with the look of blue.

Eh, when I tried it on mohair at 8.4ph it stained a lovely black blue :) I'm going to get a sample and try it in a henndigo blend just to see what color I end up with, and I have a full-length lock of my own hair to test it on too :cheese:

jesamyn
April 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I recently got a kilo of Yemen '06 from Black Cat Red Cat (Catherine's wholesale site). I like it better than anything else I have used, even hair-quality jamila. I get a deep true red with no orange, and my silvers are copper on the first go-round. During my trim earlier I noticed that I definately have my beloved cherry-wood look in the sun. My natural color is medium brown with a noticeable warm cast, so those who don't want to risk the burgundy look might do well to avoid it. I get a lot of compliments on it and love the look for myself (suits my personality and coloring), so I am very happy that this henna is keeping that deep tone for me so easily.

Lexie
April 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
It was really only 8.4? I mean...that's high, but not as high as the other figures.

Riot Crrl
April 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, 8.4 is not much different from baking soda.

Henna Sooq
April 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No word back from parijata. I wonder if she's okay. It'd odd as communication was always pretty good with her, like meaning there wouldn't be any delays in responses. No one was close to her or knew if she had a blog? She used to have a hair journal right?

Nightshade
April 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
It was really only 8.4? I mean...that's high, but not as high as the other figures.

Yeah, 8.4 is not much different from baking soda.

8.4 is my base tapwater, and when I tested it again it hadn't changed. When I get more I'll retest it, as I'm not above screwing up :o

ETA: Just to clarify, that should say "I tested the woad and it was 8.4 after mixing with distilled water, and my base tapwater is 8.4" That wasn't coming across clearly :)

Lexie
April 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ahh. So it didn't seem to affect the pH at all then?

Nightshade
April 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ahh. So it didn't seem to affect the pH at all then?

It made it more basic (from the 7 of distilled water to 8.4), however 8.4 is the natural PH of my water, and while it isn't great for my hair, it isn't bad either.

Remke
April 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I use Masria henna from Hennedrog.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/555Nikita/henna-1.jpg

There is sodium picramata in this one and it keeps it nice and fiery red. I've only used these kinds of hair hennas for my hair for 8 years now.

Um Enis
April 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
As far as the color, the brightest color I've gotten was from some straight from Nigeria, sticks and all henna (which is hard, because how often do you know someone going to nigeria with room in their bags for your henna). It was a pain to use, though, as the sticks had to be pulled out and it needed to be grinded up more. It took a while to get out.

Also great in color and BY FAR the best application, removal I have EVER had was with yemeni BAQ henna from henna sooq. The color is more burgandy/cherry cola on my hair than the Nigerian (which was more orangy--which I personally like) but is still very vibrant and beautiful. I also can use it to do my nails because its BAQ and so easy to handle. It went on like a dream and rinsed just as well. It left my hair with a softer texture than usual, I think because I was able to rinse all of it out... not leaving any trace on my hair to keep sucking up the moisture!

Sudani henna was ok, but that could have been cause it was old. It was BAQ as well and I think it had been passed down for a few years until a sister who was moving back to Egypt left it with me.

CopperHead
April 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I get the perfect red with Rajasthani henna. It has a bit of a wine color on my hair, and that is what I like. :) I hennaed yesterday and it turned out just wonderful. I had gone back to chemical dyes, but I seem to be allergic to them now. I had a Cinnamon dye on my hair the the henna just amped it up and added much more red. It looks really beautiful. Probably the best I have ever had with henna. Now it shouldn't be quite as hard keeping my white roots blended in. It was really hard with the dark brown dye I was using. Now I have red chemical hair, and red henna hair. Much better. I shall be remaining a henna head from now on. ;)

Bellatrix
April 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I like LUSH henna (Caca Rouge), mainly because it's widely available in my area. It's fairly easy to apply as well (if one grates it prior to use). Eventually I'll probably make the switch to BAQ. But I don't really like ordering online for things, so this works for now.

sonriso
April 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I prefer Catherine's BAQ from Yemen. It has a very nice finely ground texture and the paste glides on smoothly. I find that it has a higher dye content than the other powders( I used some of my sister's Jamilla and the stain wasn't as dark) which is great,because I'm going for a darker red rather than copper.
I love your color!!!, beautiful , how did you prepare the mix, I bought Yemen as I love true red( deep and dark ), please, post your mix secret. Thank you:)

Um Enis
April 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I also love/ use yemini henna and I get a really nice dark stain when I used hibiscus tea instead of water (ALOT of hibiscus) and a splash of vinegar.

Loviatar
April 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Currently I use Catherine's BAQ2. I have to be honest and say I'm not sure what it is. I am thinking of buying my henna from somewhere else though; I always get hit with customs charges when I buy from Catherine, and the PO is in a really awkward place to get to as I don't drive.

I want to get the reddest, not orangest, not burgundiest, shade possible, and I'm not sure how to go about it... I've wondered about trying Yemeni or Jamila, but then I remembered Nightshade's experiments on the old LHC and they all turned out pretty much the same red-orange.

Mind you I have never really thought that mohair is not the same as human hair so you would get variation... hmm.

My current mix is BAQ2 with 500ml cherry and cinnamon tea, a tablespoon of lemon juice and 10 drops essential oil (usually clove, patchouli or geranium).

Any ideas? I had wondered about using red wine to mix instead of half the tea, or instead of the lemon...

I dont know...

Celebrian
April 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Currently I use Catherine's BAQ2. I have to be honest and say I'm not sure what it is. I am thinking of buying my henna from somewhere else though; I always get hit with customs charges when I buy from Catherine, and the PO is in a really awkward place to get to as I don't drive.

I want to get the reddest, not orangest, not burgundiest, shade possible, and I'm not sure how to go about it... I've wondered about trying Yemeni or Jamila, but then I remembered Nightshade's experiments on the old LHC and they all turned out pretty much the same red-orange.

Mind you I have never really thought that mohair is not the same as human hair so you would get variation... hmm.

My current mix is BAQ2 with 500ml cherry and cinnamon tea, a tablespoon of lemon juice and 10 drops essential oil (usually clove, patchouli or geranium).

Any ideas? I had wondered about using red wine to mix instead of half the tea, or instead of the lemon...

I dont know...

My Yemen 2006 gave me very rich almost blood red effect on the darker lengths. My greys just went bright, cold tomato (if that makes sense!) but I am given to understand by Catherine that they too shall give way after enough attacks with Yemen, to a deep auburn. :cheese:

As for where to get your BAQ what on earth are you doing ordering from the States! A number of UK'ers have been ordering from Hennaboy in UK (S/W England I think) and are generally happy with his stuff. Catherine recommends him on her site. I think Jel orders regularly from him so you could PM her...

Loviatar
April 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Celebrian, when I started hennaing, I wasn't aware of any BAQ henna sellers other than Catherine. Hence not using hennaboy. I will have a look at his site.

The Yemen 2006 sounds fab :)

beledigrrl
April 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I used to swear by Jamila brand henna until I discovered that my favorite local herbal store has started to stock their own henna. I love their henna because it seems to leave my hair much softer.

When I use henna on a regular basis, it leaves my hair much more manageable and full of interesting curls and coils.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm still trying to Yemen enough to get to the auburn stage, lol. 5 times, the last two of them marathon applications, and I'm still in tomato stage. It's more red and less orange than my avatar. There is a pic of it in the "Show me your henna" thread.

Celebrian
April 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Celebrian, when I started hennaing, I wasn't aware of any BAQ henna sellers other than Catherine. Hence not using hennaboy. I will have a look at his site.

The Yemen 2006 sounds fab :)

Bother. He doesn't do Yemen. The only other person I know of in Europe that will probably sell you some Yemeni (less well sifted though) is known as Olga - on the Hennatribe site. She's in Germany, and I got about a kilo of the stuff from her last year for around £14 with a little P&P on top. It's not as finely sifted as Catherines though - but it's ok.

camillacamilla
April 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
and was super easy to rinse out. I had used other kinds, but they were either gritty with a lot of chaff, ot difficult to remove without al lot of color payoff.