PDA

View Full Version : hair envy

6monkeys
December 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I saw the most beautiful hair yesterday, in walmart, on an employee. It was waist length, with spiral curls, and the hemline was straight and amazingly thick. I have seen beautiful hair irl, but this is the first time I really wanted to ask someone about their hair. Instead, I told the checkout lady how beautiful I thought this other girls hair was:o. What a dork:run:

jera
December 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I saw the most beautiful hair yesterday, in walmart, on an employee. It was waist length, with spiral curls, and the hemline was straight and amazingly thick. I have seen beautiful hair irl, but this is the first time I really wanted to ask someone about their hair. Instead, I told the checkout lady how beautiful I thought this other girls hair was:o. What a dork:run:

Don't be embarassed to compliment someone with long hair. We're all a bit exhibitionistic and we love the attention. :D

Isilme
December 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Better than saying nothing at all. Hopefully she'll tell her colleague:)

elissam
December 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm sure she would have been flattered by the compliment. When I compliment a stranger's hair, it's always regarded with thanks and a smile. I've even found myself in a random exchange of hair care tips with people this way. Let's face it- they are probably well aware of their gorgeous hair, and don't mind hearing it from amazed observers.

Besides, it's not like you're telling them they've got a awesome rack, right? :D

Juneii
December 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
ahaha, I'm sure she may be a bit surprised to hear the compliment but happy all the same.

...much easier said than done. there was this girl in my Government class, she had waist/hip length hair that was straight, smooth, soft shiny and very flowy. it's just like the hair you see in the shampoo and hair dye commercials. I really wanted to go up to her and compliment her hair, but aside from her hair she was flawless and really pretty. very intimidating, I was afraid of being thought as an ugly creep.
well, I was right on the creep part at least, when I mentioned it to my friend he gave me this weird look and changed the subject.

Wavelength
December 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I try to compliment those with long, gorgeous hair, because I figure most people are too self-conscious to say anything and they usually appreciate hearing the compliment. But I agree that it does matter how you say it due to the potential "creep factor". I usually say something like, "Excuse me, sorry if I'm interrupting but I think your hair is lovely!" And just leave it at that. If they look like they appreciated it then I might ask them about their routine or whatever, but generally I find people react better to a compliment if you make it clear you don't intend to hang around and take up their time.

But definitely say it! Who knows, they might be having a bad day, and your compliment can cheer them up. :)

Sounds like her hair was truly exceptional!

auburnlocks
December 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I think I would be much less creeped out by a woman complimenting my hair than a man. Unless, that is, I think she might be hitting on me. LOL.

I complimented a lady at church about her hair. She was a guest, a sister of one of our regulars, and she thought it was just great. She let me touch it and everything. he-he.

Tap Dancer
December 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I think I would be much less creeped out by a woman complimenting my hair than a man.

Definitely.

MandaMom2Three
December 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Besides, it's not like you're telling them they've got a awesome rack, right? :D

:spitting: haaaahahahahaaa

Xan
December 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I know what you mean I saw a lady at the airport with beautiful blond hair in the biggest bun I had ever seen (it was a guessing game on the length)I'm thinking to her ankles or floor I just wanted to ask but felt wierd, but had the hair envy that day.

Arctic_Mama
December 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Everyone benefits from an honest compliment, I think. Hopefully her coworker will tell her :) I know I always love getting compliments on my hair, so I am sure to give them freely in return.

Aditi
December 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I love to receive compliments about my hair, so i am sure she will too if her colleague inform her that is.

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Lol everyone is sure to love a compliment :D:D:D

loves2spin
December 25th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Your "do" is very elegant! I, too, like it when someone compliments my hair ~ when it's a woman.

Alun
December 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I think I would be much less creeped out by a woman complimenting my hair than a man. Unless, that is, I think she might be hitting on me. LOL.

Definitely.

Sadly, this is why I never compliment women's hair, unless they are someone I already know.

I tend to get in the line with the long haired clerk at the post office and in Safeway.

It has taken years to say anything about her hair to the lady at the post office, and even then it was to comment that she had cut it. She was rather defensive and said 'look it's still long'! It was still at least BSL. I don't think she was offended, more like I made her feel guilty, LOL! I had spoken with her many times before that about things other than stamps and parcels, etc.

I have never said anything to the long haired lady in Safeway. Much less told a complete stranger that I like her hair.

Well, I've been married for years, but I can never recall using a girl's hair as a line to chat her up. Never was good at that, but I some how doubt if it would be a winner. Hell, I still don't have any idea what would be a good thing to say! Women are a puzzle to me.

As for other guys, I might give them a 'peace' sign, which is a bit of an 'in' joke. That's not so much a compliment as a gesture of solidarity, though.

Tap Dancer
December 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM

You know, that's funny because a few days ago I started a thread about how awkward I feel when a stranger compliments me. It's all tied into my personality, but I don't like strangers approaching me. Therefore, I'd rather be left alone.

It's cool to give and receive compliments online because it's not "scary" to me (meaning face-to-face). I feel safer and happier behind a computer screen.

Copasetic
December 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I am sure she appreciated your compliment! I have seen people with really great hair, that I really wanted to compliment, but was too shy :( I should just say it. It can totally make someone's day.

Sissy
December 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think she may have appreciated the compliment... personally, I would like to receive a compliment like that. It would make me feel like my recent efforts since joining LHC have paid off. I've had a lot of "hair envy" since joining this site :p I usually go to the persons profile and compliment them and ask them their routine :o It's easier to do on the world wide web rather than in person I imagine.

Glamgirl
December 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I love to get compliments as well...especially if I am having a bad day, it will cheer me up a bit. I do notice though, that when my hair looks yucky or frizzy or otherwise not so great...THAT is when I get comments.:shrug:

6monkeys
December 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I think I might have said something to her if I could have kind of worked it in--However, I would have had to very specifically approached her (kind of like hunted her down):o.

Tashomani
December 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Compliment them...because they have grown it for years and probably love a compliment

Carolyn
December 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Good for you for saying something to her co-worker. I'm guessing your compliment was passed on to her. It's always nice to get a compliment, in a non-creepy way.

HairColoredHair
December 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Don't be embarassed to compliment someone with long hair. We're all a bit exhibitionistic and we love the attention. :D

We are? :?

Tressie
December 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM
ahaha, I'm sure she may be a bit surprised to hear the compliment but happy all the same.

...much easier said than done. there was this girl in my Government class, she had waist/hip length hair that was straight, smooth, soft shiny and very flowy. it's just like the hair you see in the shampoo and hair dye commercials. I really wanted to go up to her and compliment her hair, but aside from her hair she was flawless and really pretty. very intimidating, I was afraid of being thought as an ugly creep.
well, I was right on the creep part at least, when I mentioned it to my friend he gave me this weird look and changed the subject.
Juneii, I think your avatar looks like a "hair commercial"! I don't think your friend's behavior verified anything at all except that he isn't interested in talking about hair or that he just didn't share your interest! Let's face it, we LHCers can be a bit obsessive! And we are proud of it! LoL!

I'm sure you are in no way a "creep" or "ugly"! This "perfect" girl probably doesn't consider herself so perfect and would very possibly appreciate your compliment. If, however, she does consider herself to be all that, well, she'd still probably welcome your affirmation of her perfection! Either way, your motive is to offer a sincere compliment and that says you are a "lovely person" to me!

Merry Christmas!! God Bless!

dalriada-lady
December 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM
It's so fun to see longer lengths IRL. i just love to watch and see how many people i can watch with hair longer than Waist. I was at the market on sunday and saw this man (very rare where i live.) with a ponytail that reached below his waist, and the woman with him had a ponytail that looked classic length.