PDA

View Full Version : How can I be certain...?

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I am thinking that I probably have longer hair than most users on this site. I came here for advice on having better hair from people with longer hair than mine but now I'm discouraged.

I keep wishing that I could find a mentor who has super long hair who would teach me what her daily, weekly, monthly routine is.

Fencai
December 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
first, welcome to the boards!!! There's a lot of great information around here!

First, how long is your hair? and what is your hair type?
if you let us know these things, then we can surely help you out!!!

give us more info, and we can give you more answers!!!!

you'd also be surprised some of the things that you might learn from the folks with "shorter" hair who have worked to get it healthier!

There's always something to learn!

Amara
December 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
You'd probably be best off finding someone with the same hair*type* as yours. That person would probably be able to offer you the most valuable advice for caring for your hair in the long run.

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
How can I know what my hair *type* is? My hair generally comes done past my butt and over my thighs when pulled over my back.

I wonder if that knowledge holds significance with anybody here.

Fencai
December 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
How can I know what my hair *type* is? My hair generally comes done past my butt and over my thighs when pulled over my back.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

that's the link to the page that explains the hair typing system. have a read, and then let us know!

There are plenty of people here with your length and longer!
Im not sure what you mean by if that holds any significance though?

Jorja
December 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
That doesn't mean you have longer hair than anyone here, you could only stand 2 feet high for all we know :p

NiAosSi
December 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Welcome! You can use Fia's Hair Typing System. Please be aware no one will have the same hair and scalp as you. They might look and act the same, but all in all we are all different. Make sure you find something that works for you.

Melisande
December 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Ursusem, I remember you opened this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17371&page=2)thread. Somehow I have the feeling that you are looking for the wrong things in this forum.

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have actually already read that but I don't know how to tell.

What if my hair isn't healthy enough to tell?

Amara
December 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Good point NiAosSi - find as similar a hairtype as you can and take it all with a grain of salt. Or a drop of oil. :D

Once you figure out your own hair type you can have a search through the users looking for others of similar type.

And if your hair is thigh length - don't worry, there are plenty of members with hair that long or longer who have amazing, healthy hair. I'm sure there's lots of good advice here for you!

Igor
December 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the board :flower:
I must say though, I think you’re going about this the wrong way. It’s not about “teaching” its about “inspiring” and sharing. No one here will have the exact same routine and no one should, because we all have different hair type, scalp type and body chemistry!
So take a look around, contribute by letting us know how you do it and have some fun. If your hair is already longer than most people here, you’re obviously doing something right :wink:

Fencai
December 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

your hair doesnt have to be "healthy" to tell what type you are. If you have hair, then you have a type. :)
if you need help determining your hair type, then post a pic and anyone here can help you.
The type of your hair will/can change as you improve the condition of your hair.
just read the descriptions and take your best guess, or post a pic and we can help you!

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
"Somehow I have the feeling that you are looking for the wrong things in this forum"

What things would that be?

Amara
December 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
If you're unsure of how to tell, take a pic of your hair (following the instructions on the article you read - wash, then airdry with minimal handling) and post it - we'll help you figure it out! It is hard to tell on your own hair - I know I needed help figuring it out way back when!

While it's true that unhealthy and healthy hair act differently, unless your hair is seriously damaged by heat or chemicals, your perceived type should be fairly accurate, I would think.

Copasetic
December 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
To be fair, people of all hair lengths and types can have great hair care tips. Having really long hair doesn't mean your advice is any more valuable than the advice of shorter haired users, IMO.

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Right now I haven't washed my hair nor combed it in three days.. and am not sure how to upload a picture.

HairColoredHair
December 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
For pictures read this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7240. :)

Amara
December 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Melisande linked to an earlier thread of yours where someone posted this:

Upload your picture to a photo hosting site (like photobucket, or something similar) and than you can post your picture (from that site) into your message here... If you are not sure how to do this, check out the thread in Site Support.

You'll need to read the thread for a thorough answer.

As for not having washed your hair... if you want to follow the hairtyping system, you'll have to, and then let it airdry.

wintersun99
December 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

that's the link to the page that explains the hair typing system. have a read, and then let us know!

There are plenty of people here with your length and longer!
Im not sure what you mean by if that holds any significance though?

What about the descriptions are confusing? What don't you understand? Perhaps a little more clarification and communication from you about what you're looking for, what you want to do with your hair, your goals, etc., would help the rest, to help you... :twocents:

Fencai
December 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
well, as someone said in your other thread that you opened (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17371)
you can upload a picture to a photo site host, and then you would click the little icon in a "reply" screen that looks like the little photo, paste the link from the photo host, and the voila! picture!

in order to be able to help you, you have to help us out! :)

wintersun99
December 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Right now I haven't washed my hair nor combed it in three days.. and am not sure how to upload a picture.

I answered this question for you in your previous thread... :)

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
http://a316.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_1b62dbef0a76d4b605f8a9d2e59762d3.jpg

You might be able to see a picture of me and my hair at this link
Thanks!

lapushka
December 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Seems to me you're around classic length, which is a pretty common length around here.

Long or short, hair routines often vary because of different hairtextures and different thickness. Have you read up on Fia's hair typing system. You might want to search the site for more info on that. :)

Deborah
December 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Judging by your photo, your hair looks to be about tailbone length. Many, many of our members have longer hair, so if that is your criteria for considering advice valid, there are lots of people who's advice should be valuable to you.

Fencai
December 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
http://a316.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_1b62dbef0a76d4b605f8a9d2e59762d3.jpg

Thanks!

you're hair is very pretty! Now we can go back to the hair typing thread and help out!!!

Akiko
December 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
I received helpful advice from all sorts of people here. Some have longer hair than mine, others shorter. To figure out what works for me, I have to try and see. Every person's experience is different even with similar hair types. Maybe you can explain what is bothering about your hair. Then people will be able to give you more specific advice. There are lots of very helpful and supportive people on this board.

LisaJaney
Ursusem,
This is LisaJaney, a moderator here (one of more-than-twelve mods we have) and I just wanted to kinda let you know how things work around here, just so you know:

First off, we're a group of longhaired people who have developed friendships over the years. We are rather a tight-knit group. We have to be. Given the nature of what we discuss (longhair, primarily women's long hair, but also men's) often-times unsavory characters wander by in order to find lovely long hair to drool over. We all tend to appreciate each other's hair, sure, but this "unsavory" element goes beyond that, into taking advantage without our consent. They want pictures to...more-than-drool over...they want us to describe what we do with our hair. Granted, pictures and haircare routines when shared amongst likeminded friends are no problem, but I'm sure you can appreciate that we would not be happy to have "users", "voyeurs" carrying-on with our pics and words as the impetus for their pleasure, and that without our consent.

FOR THIS REASON, we have certain criteria here: we require that members have a certain number of quality posts (the mods decide this: what is quality and what is just "fluff", me-too sort of drivel posts) and a time-requirement before they are allowed to see the more private areas of the site, where our members put their pics and their routines. We also have friends lists, so that our members can blog about their hair, their lives, whatever, and those blogs can be available to the world-at-large, or only available to their few chosen (or many chosen) friends. It's all about trying to keep our people safe from pervy, lurky, one-handed-typist types.

Having said all that, I will make the following generalized statement: when a person comes in and has only a handful of posts that do very little in the way of saying "Here am I, here's what I do, here's what I like, here's how I AM", but rather just ask "Can I see your picture?" and "Can I listen to you talk about your hair?".... Can you see how that would put this particular group of people on edge??? We're fretful about these things because past experience (photo harvesters, one-handers) demands that we not be naive. We've been burned there before. I am not accusing you of anything, I am stating something that is easily observable at our community: you have very few posts, and - with the exception of one of the most-recent where you tell us that your hair is longer than ours (but then say it may be damaged which indicates that perhaps you're still learning), you've divulged NOTHING of yourself, only asked for our pics and talk about our hair. The earlier posts have set a tone that are going to be hard to overcome. We aren't looking for your name/address/phone, but just honest interaction between members, with a somewhat-equal amount of give and take.

Just a quickie tutorial, no malice intended, no offense intended, just info for you to consider. Hope it helps.
LisaJ

From the pic (that will be a GREAT help in finding your type) it looks like you're a 2a or something, and I don't see damage, but it's hard to tell. IF the ends are dry, you may try using less shampoo on the ends. It's possible to clean the hair with conditioner-only (use a cheap, light one, and use plenty of it and rinse REALLY REALLY well) or to put conditioner on the length to protect it while you shampoo just the scalp and first 6" of hair or something. That works really well for many of our members. Hope that's a help.

Beldaran

Thanks!

So right now I have 2 different impressions. One, you're telling us that your hair is thigh length, and two you show us a picture of someone who does not have that length of hair. Which one is correct?

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
"So right now I have 2 different impressions. One, you're telling us that your hair is thigh length, and two you show us a picture of someone who does not have that length of hair. Which one is correct?"

Thigh length is when it comes onto your thighs when you stand, right? That is what mine is like now- maybe a little shorter I don't have eyes on the back of my head. I took that picture last year lol

Anje
December 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Typically, we call the length that comes to the bottom of the rear, where the thighs begin, "classic length," and while it's quite long by most standards, it's a pretty normal length here on LHC, where we have members who start over from bald and members who go past floor length. It's quite a pretty length on many people, and therefore a common first goal for growers.

Thigh length tends to be that which is considerably past classic, but not yet at knee, especially about fingertip length.

So tell us, Ursusem, how do you wash your hair? Do you shampoo from root to tip, or just at the scalp, or do you not shampoo at all? Do you use conditioner? Do you oil your hair, and with what?

Eboshi
December 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
"Somehow I have the feeling that you are looking for the wrong things in this forum"
What things would that be?

People like me for instance
ETA: Don't bait the trolls, please. -Dianyla

ursusem
December 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I wonder if it would be a good idea to go to a long hair salon.... But I don't think there is anyone in my area (Minnesota).
Heh, my boyfriend lives in Texas. It is a big deal just to see him and my life is so busy with college and a part time job. I wonder if we should go somewhere together where I could also get my hair done at a long hair salon. We are just on a tight budget though! :( Why does everything have to be so hard?

blendedchaitea
December 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I wonder if it would be a good idea to go to a long hair salon.... But I don't think there is anyone in my area (Minnesota).
Heh, my boyfriend lives in Texas. It is a big deal just to see him and my life is so busy with college and a part time job. I wonder if we should go somewhere together where I could also get my hair done at a long hair salon. We are just on a tight budget though! :( Why does everything have to be so hard?

I'd say it would be an epically bad idea for you to be within 100 yards of a long hair salon, or its patrons.

ETA: Don't bait the trolls, please. -Dianyla

skydancer7
December 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'll speak up and say I smelled a troll from the very first post.
That is my input.
Thank you.

Beatnik Guy
December 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'll speak up and say I smelled a troll from the very first post.
That is my input.
Thank you.

This isn't directed at you skydancer7, but can I suggest that members use the report-post facility if they have concerns about other members or posts? :cool:

Kittee
December 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm getting a feeling that the picture "she" posted isn't even hers. Usually folks don't have unusual file extensions as the "name" of their image.

Carina
December 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm getting a feeling that the picture "she" posted isn't even hers. Usually folks don't have unusual file extensions as the "name" of their image.

I agree 100% with you.

Themyst
December 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM

A very astute observation if I may say so ...:cool:

Teacherbear
December 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Closed while mods discuss the need for this thread to stay open vs closed.