PDA

View Full Version : That Crazy Urge to Cut

Islandgrrl
December 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I really don't understand this at all.

I've been struggling with this nutty urge to cut fringe for the last couple of weeks, going back and forth between how nice I know it will look and how much I hate both the upkeep and having hair in my face.

No big urge to cut the length, it's finally to a point where I'm not constantly thinking about how long it's going to take to get where I want it to be, if that makes any sense at all.

But this fringe thing is making me INSANE. One day I want to cut, the next I don't. And on and on. I know, two week rule and I respect that. I just keep resetting the two week rule every time I think I want to snip. :rolleyes: So it's been more like two months.

Topping it all off, I ran into a former co-worker at the grocery store (where all social life begins and ends), and she's cut herself a side-swept fringe. It looks HORRIBLE. And she loves it - thinks it looks fantastic. So I'm thinking to myself.....OMG, that could be me.

Commiserate with me. Talk me out of it. Because that crazy urge is still there....

Chromis
December 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
In the words of a few cats, crazy urge is crazy!

Of course I very much disliked having fringe. Perhaps you could try some of the styles where people fake having fringe?

Cantabile
December 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I go through the same thing. I've managed to grow out my bangs this year, but I have times where I wonder whether or not bangs would look better...but then I just think about how frustrated I used to be, how utterly annoying it was whenever my bangs would fall in my eyes, and stick to my forehead in these oily clumps, and I move on and stop wondering. :grin:

MandaMom2Three
December 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I regretted my fringe from day one :(

LutraLutra
December 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm growing out a fringe and it's a right royal pain in the ar*e. Don't cut it! If you hate having to keep trimming it, and you hate having it go in your eyes, don't cut it! :D

wintersun99
December 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM

Chanterelle
December 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Just one thing: If you're not 200% sure you REALLY want fringe, don't cut it.

Akiko
December 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
When I want bangs, I make fake fringe by letting the front part of my hair come down a little. It looks like I have long swept bangs. Only the look without commitment.:flower:

amaiaisabella
December 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
If you KNOW you look bad with bangs (if you've had them in the past?) then I truly wouldn't cut. I have bangs right now and I am very happy with them, but I have a large forehead and I look rather odd without them (perpetually surprised!)

Perhaps you could cut some angles in the hair around your face? They wouldn't be layers, so the back of your hair wouldn't be affected, but it might give you something different around your face without having the shortness of bangs bugging you. I have angles starting at my chin and I like them, but since your hair is much longer, you could start at the shoulders.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Think about it all you want, but don't cut.

Islandgrrl
December 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
No cutting happening.

Thing is, though, I look pretty good with bangs. Right now I have some of my used-to-be fringe pulled out of my updo, as a long layer (3" longer than chin) framing my face, and it looks good. I have a long face kind of angular and I'm not particularly pretty...so you know, anything that helps.....well, I'm all for it. :o

joyful373
December 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think you answered yourself. If you hate upkeep and the feel of hair in your face, fringe (or bangs in my little world) are not the answer. :)

LaurelSpring
December 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
I was going through this just recently and I just got mine to chin length. Whenever I ask anyone they always politically correctly say it looks good either way. Finally I asked my hairdresser and she said dont do it. It looks great without bangs. I just needed someone to say it!

Reading the replies on this thread helped me too. Its always good to have the reinforcement.

I have felt restless lately but I think its just because its winter and I cant do my usual dos with the cold. I have been really lazy and just wearing a braid. I think I just need to motivate myself some more to snap out of it.

mira-chan
December 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
No cutting happening.

Thing is, though, I look pretty good with bangs. Right now I have some of my used-to-be fringe pulled out of my updo, as a long layer (3" longer than chin) framing my face, and it looks good. I have a long face kind of angular and I'm not particularly pretty...so you know, anything that helps.....well, I'm all for it. :o

I also can't stand to have hair in my face and have urges for a fringe some times. What I did was get a clip on one in my hair color. People couldn't tell it wasn't my actual hair. :D

Xandergrammy
December 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I also can't stand to have hair in my face and have urges for a fringe some times. What I did was get a clip on one in my hair color. People couldn't tell it wasn't my actual hair. :D

Do you have pictures of this clip on fringe, mira?? What an exciting thought to be able to buy bangs with NO COWLICK!!!!

Akiko
December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM

I have seen a clip on fringe on the internet and wondered how that works. It looks great in pictures.

I have been wondering what if it comes off accidentally in front of people?? I can see people say, OMG! Your hair just came off!:eek: Is it secure?

Islandgrrl
December 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Clip on fringe? There is such a thing?

Hmm (mind working furiously) ... I wonder if I can find a match to my color? Are they real hair or synthetic?

Euphony
December 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I've been going back and forth for about a year as to whether I want fringe. I've had fringe my entire life up until 5 years ago when I grew it out. I trimmed a small amount of 'fringe' sort of at my last trim. She cut around 12" off a very small pace in the front, but it goes to about halfway down my chest still, I can pull it out with a struggle when I put my hair up. That seems to have helped me quite obsessing over wanting fringe - it's there, but I mostly tuck it away because it's easier for me.

Akiko
December 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
In the US, I saw synthetic bangs at sohoforme (http://sohoforme.com/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?PN=BANG) (Stores in the US as well as web store).

auburnlocks
December 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Fringe can make it harder to wear up. I have wavy hair and last year I asked for layers so I could wear it down more and not have it all frizzy. But all I got was more frizz and layers that now have to be grown out. :(

I've gone back to being my own hair dresser. It's keeps me from doing crazy things because I worry I will do them wrong, so I just don't do them at all. :)

RocketDog
December 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
(I'll play the devil's advocate here!)

I am a side-parter, and I trim in a 'fringe' for my face by taking about a 1" wide and 1/2" 'deep' on each side of my part and trim it on an angle so that the veryvery longest hairs still tuck securely behind my ear - that way I CAN get them off my face, but I can still pull them loose for the face-framing look I want without having to commit to a huge chunk of fringe ;)

Islandgrrl
December 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
After some reflection on the situation, and in the mirror, here are things I've discovered about why I should not have a fringe.

I have a strong widow's peak.
I have an even stronger cowlick about an inch to the right of the widow's peak.
I'm basically lazy when it comes to my hair. I know I will not take the time to style a fringe.

Reasons, for include:

My face is rather long, fringe helps to shorten it visually.
Fringe hides the un-smoothness of my forehead (nice way of saying it covers the creases).
Okay, that's all I can come up with.

Lame, I know.

So no worries right now. I'm not cutting anything. If I can make it to Jan 1, I'm fine. I committed to no trims in 2009. :silly:

Amoretti
December 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I recently got a fringe and I'm happy with the change. :)

Wanderlust
December 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm hoping fringe= short bangs, or else I don't know what you're talking about! I'm totally out of the loop with haircuts...and happy about it lol :D

I cut bangs in my hair a few weeks ago, on an impulse, and I LOVE them despite having had bangs before and hating them after two weeks. The reason I love them is mostly because they do a very good job of softening my face. My face (especially my forehead) has sharp angles, and the bangs help hide them. My mother also looks very good with bangs, because she has a long face and it helps shorten her face visually. So, bangs ARE good for some people!

I also dislike styling my bangs every day, so if I don't want to style them, I'll just clip them back with those long, flat triangle clips (I forget what they're called), and if I DO want to style them, all I do is wet them, then keep them combed flat against my forehead til they dry and they dry with the perfect amount of curl. It's much easier than styling them with heat, or rollers, or a comb, but it does take about 20 minutes for them to dry.

My opinion is that if you've been thinking about it for two months, the thought probably isn't going to go away, why not take a picture and photoshop it to see how bangs would really look on you right now, and then decide? I also second the idea of fake bangs and can say from experience that if you hair color is dark, synthetic hair looks just like your own and you don't have to worry about styling it AND you don't have to worry about bangs taking away from the thickness of your hair. If your hair color is light, though, you're better off with human hair because synthetics in light colors look like plastic. shudder:

Tap Dancer
December 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
One day I want to cut, the next I don't. And on and on.

I have days/weeks/months like that all year. :lol:

Fantak
December 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I love having a fringe and fringe's on other people! There is a fringe for every face shape ^.^

If you know you look good with a fringe, I suggest you cut one. When you want it down and soft and feminine it's there! and when you're sick and tired of it you can just put it up with a bobby pin or something, it really isn't that big of an issue.

I don't have a short fringe, they are more like face framing layers which used to be from about cheek bone length but I've let them grow to about lip length and I like them better longer.

Failing that you could always get a clip on fringe like Akiko suggested ^.^ Maybe you could dye it to match your hair colour?

Tap Dancer
December 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I recently got a fringe and I'm happy with the change. :)

I've seen photos and they look great on you! :)

RavennaNight
December 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Don't cut. Just think how looooooooooong it will take to grow em back.

Ndnlady
December 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I agree with the opinions here, don't get fringe unless you are absolutely sure you want it.
I have considered cutting some kind of fringe lately but then I think about how tangled it gets throughout the day as compared to the rest of my hair. The pain of getting those little knots out is what holds me back!

mira-chan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I have seen a clip on fringe on the internet and wondered how that works. It looks great in pictures.

I have been wondering what if it comes off accidentally in front of people?? I can see people say, OMG! Your hair just came off!:eek: Is it secure?
It stays on little combs that have a bar pressed against them. The comb slides though your hair and the bar keeps all the hair that slid in, in place. I wear my hair up so clip it on tied back hair and nothing budges. I have yet to have it come off and I have to untie my hair to take it off most times. No hairs pulled out or anything it's just easier to slide it out of the hair than battle it. I can take it off without undoing the rest it's just easier the the other way.

It takes some practice to get the hang of putting it on. A lopsided fringe looks oh so nice. :silly:

Clip on fringe? There is such a thing?

Hmm (mind working furiously) ... I wonder if I can find a match to my color? Are they real hair or synthetic?
You can get it real or synthetic hair. Mine is synthetic (kanekalon) as I don't like to use human hair. It's dark so it looks fine. Many wig stores will custom order the color you want if they don't have it.

Another problem I might see is if someone who has fine hair uses it. My hair is coarse so matches the thickness of the fringe.

I also have a widows peak and my hair will stand straight up when short so cutting a short fringe is not really a good idea.

tiny_teesha
December 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Well, not sure if this is good advice....
Since i outgrew it i had a plan....to grow until Jan 9 and chop off all everything but regrowth. You see that way i never had to shave my head. But then i got into thinking to just let it slowly grow out.
And i did for a while. But the whole 3 years of growing every day i thought "maybe i should get a bob" so you know what. I'm going to do it and regret it so that i teach myself not to want to get one, i haven't had one since i was 7! Plus this way i am sticking to my initial plan, and i get to have virgin hair! :)
Hair grows :)

Cryspatus
December 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Wow I am so glad I found this thread! I never thought about clip-on bangs before and I have been having the same dilemma... I think I'm definitely going to buy the fake bangs... That's awesome. And if I really like wearing the clip then maybe i'll decide to cut the bangs.

WaimeaWahine
December 24th, 2008, 04:32 AM
"...on the outskirts, on the fringes, on the edge, and off the avenue..." - Suzanne Vega

I have always had bangs and always consider growing them out. BUT...

The most important thing to consider, other than how you intend to wear your hair, is your face. Some people just don't look good with bangs; they have a tendancy to make people look... immature perhaps. (Pinning them back I look much older and harsher so...)

Try using a bobby pin to swoop your hair to the side to get a better idea or Photoshop a picture. You know what looks good on you and what is right for your facial features so if you haven't snipped already then it is probably a sign that you shouldn't.

Still tempted? Hand over all shears to a friend for safe keeping. :cheese:

chelles2kids
December 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM
It sounds like your just in a "rut" right now with your hair and want to change it up a bit?
Sorry, no help talking you out of it.:o

I say, it's fringe, if you cut it and don't care for it, at least it will be long enough to pull back with the rest of your hair while it grows back out?
Bangs on the other hand are usually so much shorter and take quite awhile to even get long enough to pull back in a barrette.

Have you ever had bangs or a fringe before?
Do you have any pictures that you can look back on to see what you think of yourself with them?
Maybe that would help you to reavaluate what you think it might look like?

Presto
December 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Have you played with Taaz.com lately? Virtual bangs/fringe! Of course, all the sample hairs have been mercilessly styled to death on Taaz, and you aren't really up to putting in the work for them.
I would vote not to do it. I wish I had the oval/narrow face like you! I had bangs for years, and I have the spherical head with square jaw thing going on. In hindsight, I'm not sure it looked good, but I really was "hiding" behind it too. I wish I could pull off a sideswept something or other, but I have teh curls of doom, and I'd have to straighten them every day for that to work.

I have been thinking of cutting in some long layers near the front to make my hair less heavy and dragging down. But I too have until the 1st to decide, I'm also in the no trims 2009 club.

Islandgrrl
December 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well, I'm not cutting fringe. I know what I look like with it, I like how I look with it. My biggest problem is that I can't stand having hair in my face.

I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions and I think that if I can find a clip-in fringe that matches my hair closely enough, I might try that. But for now, not cutting.