PDA

View Full Version : Hair doldrums

LaurelSpring
December 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I dont know if its because its winter or perhaps the honeymoon phase with my hair is over but Im feeling a little hair apathy. When I started here in March I was so gung ho. I have tried just about everything I saw on the boards and now I have a good routine I like that works. I bought all sorts of hair toys and do dads and now I have a good variety and selection that works. Everything is working but I miss the excitement of finding the new stuff! I am into the long haul now. Its exciting when I see progress and that inspires me but I miss the excitement that I first had. Usually I go hunting for hair toys when I feel this way but dont really want to spend the extra when I have pretty much all that I need right now. I need to learn some new styles but its cold and I get frustrated because I have to wear a scarf or hat so now I am just into winter hair survival mode. Hopefully in the spring I will be more inspired. How do you keep it fresh?

akurah
December 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I was bored with my hair, so after about a week of pondering, I went and got bangs. I am now happy again and have no loss of length. Loving the bangs too!

Now if you already have OR don't want bangs, its not a solution, obviously. But a small change (bangs, a trim to even your hem, trying a new product, experimenting with rollers, etc) may make it fun again.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
In direct opposition, I found the excitement annoying and wanted to get to the point where my relationship with my hair was much more casual. Now it is. It's mine, I know how to take care of it, it's long, and it's still growing. I can take it for granted.

LaurelSpring
December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I think it is a settling in time. I wonder if everyone goes through this phase. This is it, this is me with long hair just quietly doing what I need to do every day to keep it healthy and happy.

jojo
December 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I would personally just put it up and forget it during spell where you get bored.

Arctic_Mama
December 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think we all hit that in stages... and then find something to get excited about again. Sometimes a new hairtoy or style can make you more excited about your hair, sometimes it is hitting a new length, etc etc. I agree that the best idea is to put it up and forget about it if you're feeling apathetic so you don't get so bored you do something drastic. I also agree that small changes like fringe or even a trim can be really helpful.

It kind of depends on your hair goals but for me, trying out a new product or toy is usually the ticket. I am also at such short lengths that growth excites me, because I can do so much more with my hair when its longer, but if that no longer pops your figurative hair cherry then I suggest figuring out what your hair goals are and if there is anything proactive you can do to achieve them, or something you can divert to along the way.

What are your interests? Do you like braiding or knitting, for example? Maybe making some new shawls or hats to go WITH your hair, or learning a complex type of braid, may give you something to 'like your hair' over... these are just suggestions, but if you're not content to just put it up and forget it finding new ways to love it at the length its currently at is a good idea, so you don't succumb to scissor boredom (which has created many a tale of woe on this site!).

Good luck!

skydancer7
December 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Gosh, I feel you. Whenever I feel this way I look for a new flame. Would picking up a new hobby help? Knitting, or flying trapeze or whatever.

I'm sorry your flame has grown cold... I hate it when that happens, too. Find a new hobby to hold you over till spring.

Another thought I have is this: keep an eye out for those of us who are new, starting out, needing advice. Live vicariously through them. It's fun to look out for the newbies!

Gook luck. I am also excited for spring.

LaurelSpring
December 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. Right now I am doing the put it up and forget it thing. I just seem to fall back on the same couple of dos right now. I think the weather and this never ending cold I seem to have are getting the best of me. I did get excited the other day when I realized that my pigtail was falling into my cleaveage! :eyebrows: That totally perked me up.

The little things like that are helping. The way it feels on my back or the weight of my braid. I was getting ready for a Holiday function and was just looking in the mirror thinking ..I love my hair!

~GypsyCurls~
December 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
A couple of times, I have found a routine/products that work perfectly for my hair, then all of a sudden in a couple months or so, it no longer works and I have to start all over again in finding something else. This happened recently too. I just want to find products and methods that work so I don't have to do a bunch of research and try out products again and again and again. It gets annoying sometimes!

ole gray mare
December 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I did get excited the other day when I realized that my pigtail was falling into my cleaveage! :eyebrows: That totally perked me up.

That would perk me up too. Because it would mean I have cleavage!

Anyway, I know what you mean. I'm making my new years resolution one to try new hairstyles. I'm in a total rut!

:blossom:

Bene
December 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
i'm at that BSL stage where my hair stalls and i get all annoyed at it because it doesn't seem to grow, and this is the most tempting time to cut. i don't think i'll be satisfied with it until i hit waist. but it's just so frustrating right now :(

nappywomyn
December 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ah, yes. I'm in the doldrums myself right now. I call it my 'ultra-protective' stage as I basically put it up and ignore it. :lol: