PDA

View Full Version : Hair breakage around crown

Olivia23
December 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I went to my hairdresser to get a trim. Where I work I have to keep my hair off my collar, so I have to keep it pulled back all the time. I have very thick, long hair, so it's hard for me to use any hair clips to hold it back, so I usually put it in a bun. I make sure it's pretty tight, or it will not stay.

My hairdresser told me I had breakage around the crown of my head due to me pulling back my hair all the time. She said that is why i have flyaways. She recommended a line of shampoo and a mask from the sexy line to try and help. I know people will say they usually tell you that to get you to buy products, but she recommended stuff from the store, and I asked if they had anything there. I also reviewed it on Amazon and it gets rave reviews. It's some kind of pumpkin puree in it, and it smells great. I know on here a lot of people swear by homemade recipes, but I am afraid to try them, for fear it will either not come out, or make my hair look greasy.

Also, I need some help with pulling back my hair. I have tried the sock bun also, but like I said my hair is so thick, that I have to put dozens of bobby pins in it to hold it, and it pulls and breaks my hair. Please help!

Anje
December 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I found I had a lot of ponytail breakage when I first came here, and one of the first things I did was swear off any style that required a ponytail secured with an elastic as a foundation for the style. Are you bunning with an elastic, because simply removing that can reduce your breakage a good deal. If you can handle the look, putting buns at or above the crown, so that they rest on the head rather than requiring the scalp hair to bare the weight would probably also reduce breaking.

Have you tried using U-shaped hairpins rather than bobby pins? Because they don't grab individual hairs, they don't pull -- again, you might get significantly less breakage this way. A lot of members here swear by "amish hair pins," which are U-shaped and made of steel, so they're quite sturdy, and they're available in many different lengths. Others, like me, prefer to bun with one or two hair sticks or a hair fork, instead of pins.

Oh, don't be afraid of the homemade recipes. Most of it will come out just fine, provided that you rinse long enough. The two biggies are oils (yes, many of us apply vegetable-based oils to our hair, like jojoba and coconut), and eggs. The secret to getting eggs out is to rinse with cold water, but they're definitely tricky. Oils are best removed, if they don't come out with your normal wash routine, by soaking hair for a while in a silicone-free conditioner (like Suave or VO5, for example), which certainly will do your hair more benefit than harm, anyway.

Olivia23
December 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Yes when I put my bun up, I usually put it up in a ponytail first because it does not seem to hold otherwise. I will try what you suggested, and I will definitely look into the amish hairpins. Where do you get those hairpins?

XeniaR
December 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I saw something about the sock bun on u-tube. She put her hair back in a pony tail, then used a sock covered in a knee high. She said that some women in the military resort to using big men's athletic socks if their hair is thick and long. After she put her hair through the sock she used another rubber band over the hair and sock.

Then she said you can braid the remaining hair and wrap it around or twist it and wrap it around. After that wrap she put a rubber band over the wrapped hair. That is three rubber bands. She didn't use any pins at all.

When I want to have my hair up I do it the lazy way. I twist it up like a french bun then take the left over hair (from the top) and loop it up and down until it is all used. Then I take a large clip that sort of looks like a butter fly (they are everywhere in the stores but I can't think of their name.) I clip that in the middle of the hair on my head and add some hair pins to the top of it to help it stay. But I do this with my hair a little damp.

Later the pins will slip out. They always do on my slick hair but the clip usually stays put.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I hardly ever use the elastics anymore either. They almost always take some hair with them when I take them out! I even hate using them for the ends of braids but haven't found anything to hold as well. I love the Amish pins too. Here is the website:

www.plainlydressed.com (http://www.plainlydressed.com)

Silver & Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
I avoid even the "hair friendly" elastics as much as possible because my hair is very delicate and I know that ponytails and elastics would kill it if I used them with any frequency.

eaglefeather71
December 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I was just uploading some new pictures and noticed what looks like either regrowth or breakage. I hardly ever have my hair up in elastics and I Know I do have regrowth around the edges of my hairline so maybe its regrowth...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc104/ckatto71/Henna008-1.jpg
At work, could you use clawclips, forks, hair sticks or braids instead of buns?

Laila23
December 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I found a whole segment of my hair that was broken from constantly using elastics tightly placed to hold a pony tail. I switched to scrunchies and I hope it helps.

spidermom
December 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I wonder if the stylist considered that new growth causes lots of fly-aways. I've found that non-twisted styles, like braids secured with those soft, fluffy rings, or buns secured with forks or sticks work best for me, else I get breakage.

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Yup I agree with everyone here, no elastics and no metal, opt for soft scrunchies, also the sexy range is brilliant so definitely go for it and don't be scared about trying out homemade recipes aswell as they are all natural and do definitely wash out! :D Also your stylist would not recommend something that wasn't good or professional for you to use because their job and business hangs on your good opinion of them so don't be wary of following their advice as well as ours in the homemade recipes. Hope that helps, good luck! :D:D:D

salamander
December 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
How about false crown braids? Then the weight of the hair is resting on top of your head instead of pulling on your roots. I do them with the U shaped pins and sometimes little hairclips to hold them more solidly; they're great when I feel like all my buns are pulling too much.