PDA

View Full Version : Help trimming/caring for fine curly (slightly frizzy) hair

Loviatar
December 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hi,

I am not the hairtype in question, but I could use a little advice from all you curlies/frizzies out there.

My friend R, recently separated from her DH, has started dyeing her naturally auburn hair with a tone-on-tone non-permanent colorant in a slightly more vibrant, cooler red. She loves the colour and is happy using it. I have dyed her hair for her maybe three times. Before that her hair was virgin and I think it would reach BSL when pulled straight. Her hairtype is by my reckoning a F and i/ii. Her curl formation I am sure would be a 3b, but it currently looks like a 2c. She has recently switched to combing with a wooden comb instead of brushing, and no longer brushes or combs when wet. She does not want to try henna and that's fine by me. She prefers a colour that fades out rather than grows out.

She has not had her hair cut or trimmed (or anything, before we started the dye process in June this year) for seven years. She never wears make up or nail polish but recently has expressed interest in doing both as well as haircare. Last night we had a pampering session and I messed with her hair and painted her nails while she helped me henna.

Her hair is very 'fluffy' and full, it makes for great Grecian/Victorian style pompadour updos but lousy for braids or ponytails as she doesnt like the taper much. It has a BIG taper, is hugely fairytaled, and she has a lot of fine fluffy baby hairs around her face and neck line. I can see splits and white dots at her ends from lack of care over the past seven years, but now she wants to invest some time in it.

She would like me to trim her hair. I have no idea where to start as she doesnt really have a hemline as it's so fuzzy and fluffy. I trim my own hair and I have trimmed my other friend's hair (she is a m/c, 2b, iii and has a very thick blunt cut) but R's hemline is just non existent. Do I wet her hair down and then trim? Trim it dry? Blowdry it straight for once (she always plops, not blowdries) and then trim, and see how it looks when it curls up again? I am clueless. She doesnt want to go to a salon as money is very tight for her right now.

Also, I have told her about CO, as I think that would help her curl formation, and given her a big bottle of VO5 (US version) SKR. Is there anything else I can do for her, maybe as a Christmas present? I have already given her the conditioner, a green sparkly Fakkare to hold her Victorian buns, and a wooden comb.

Oh - her underlayer (when she bends her head forward) has wonderful 3a curls. The canopy is shot to all heck and very dry and frizzy. I know she needs moisture but I dont know what to suggest. Oils? Butters? Specific curl-friendly conditioners? I dont understand curly hair at all (have never dealt with it) and dont know how to make it all look like the underlayers! Any help would be well appreciated. Thanks!

And we both live in the UK. :)

Lovi

Boudicca
December 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
My hair is just like that. I s&d rather than trimming. Also, updos in general will reduce that amount of splits, etc.

A good way for her to get controlled curls and some smoothess would be to braid when wet and (lightly!) finsgercomb once dry. Also, waering heair in a twist when wet will dry smooth and ringlet once fingercombed out.

If she's colouring to get a more vibrant red, then why not try some henna? That would definitely give some gloss and might calm the frizz a little.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
You might want to direct her to the forum @ naturally curly (http://www.naturallycurly.com)
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk

There are lots of tips there on learning to take care of curly hair

Fillette
December 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
When it comes to trims or cuts, I personally get better results when it is done on dry hair.
If you do decide to trim, I would not worry too much about having a perfect hemline. The main thing I can recommend is to get rid of any damaged ends and maybe even out the very bottom of her hair.
CO will definitely improve the condition of her hair and the curl formation. I would recommend avoiding harsh shampoos (if possible stop shampooing all together) and using coconut oil (or any other oil that she likes - jojoba, olive oil, etc.) on the ends.

Different things work for different curlies/wavies. It is a matter of trial and error.
Maybe you could give her the book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey and Deborah Chiel. A lot of curlies/wavies have had success with the curly girl method.

salamander
December 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds like my hair! If she has the same problem I do, then a deep moisture treatment (or several) may be what she needs. I had that fuzzy, 2b look until I started doing overnight heavy coconut oilings on damp hair, and CO. After a few of those treatments I could see my actual curls. It was quite a surprise! And if her hair takes to forming clear curls, then it'll be easier to cut; you just try to cut each curl even with the others. If not, wet it down and you can cut straight across. Hope that helps!

Boots
December 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I have fine frizzy curls too. I CO with VO5 but use a heavier cone condish as the second. She may also want to try Kimberly's defrizz ans Smts. I swear by both. She may want to experiment with oil.

If ponies anr braids are out maybe she would like some forks or sticks.

Is she into enhancing the curls or relaxing them?

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have pretty much the same type hair too. CO is not for everyone and for fine hair sometimes it can weigh down the curls. I do CWC and have had a lot better results with it. It certainly depends on the person though. I would recommend first of all trying to get her used to combing in the shower with conditioner on her hair, adding a leave-in and leaving it to dry naturally all the way. To cut down on frizz, a nice gel like LA Look Sports gel works WONDERS. The secret is to add the gel, let it dry without touching and then when it is totally dry not even a TINY bit damp, scrunch out the crunch gently until it's soft. While it is still about 20% damp a bit of coconut oil smoothed over the canopy and also on the ends will make a huge difference too. The secret is not touching after you put the conditioner and gel in at all. The more you touch the more frizz and undefined curls. As for the damage, updos and moisture are key and lots of moisture, even moreso for curly, damaged hair. Oil only on damp hair and a good generous amount of leave-in conditioner.

snowbird
December 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I cut my hair myself, and imitate Devachan's technique: with dry (and curly) hair trim *each curl* individually. This takes ages, but it worth it. I trim where the curl starts to feel frazzled, it's handfeel rather than looking for a split end.

For moisture- my hair is also fine and doesn't do well with product/CO/oils at all. But, the times I've had the canopy in a state of dehydration I go on a 'miracle' cure: deep condition with saran wrap and a hat, all night, every night, for a few days or a week. I buy ready-made commercial conditioners for this, so that I don't have to shampoo in the morning as with oils or butters.

Does she wear her hair up a lot? If I wear mine up tons (like a week on end) it takes a few consecutive days of it being down after washing to get the full spring back.

Like a lot of ultra-curlies, I don't use a comb except in the shower when my hair is wet, and that is the widest toothed comb I can find, preferably seamless.

hope that helps!

Tabitha
December 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe you could give her the book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey and Deborah Chiel. A lot of curlies/wavies have had success with the curly girl method.

I have a copy of this book that I listed on the Swap Board for UKers, if you're interested: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17101