PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies in my stomach...

MissMaryMac
December 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to get my hair cut. I have been wanting to go for a long time, I really need a trim. I'm scared though, it has been literally years since I have had my hair cut. Eek!!

:pegasus:

The pegasus smiley has nothing to do with this post. I just thought it was pretty. :p

Islandgrrl
December 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Oy, I'd have butterflies, too.

Just remember to be really specific about what you want. You can't be too careful!

I hope you get the cut/trim that you want! Good luck!

gallows_gallery
December 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I am getting a haircut tomorrow too!

I sympathise - just be REALLY clear about what you do and DO NOT want. Take photos or describe it in superfluous detail.

cindy58
December 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I went on Dec. 11 for a trim of a bit more than an inch -- it was fine. I went to my old hair guy. (A bit pricey, but I can trust him!) Hope yours works out too!

Chromis
December 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
If all you want is a simple trim, I'd cancel the appointment, buy a nice pair of hair scissors and a scrunchy and do it yourself. Your hair is long enough that it should be quite easy (or at least it is for me at this length!) Saves money and nerves!

Kittee
December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I agree!

Or have your hubby or friend do it for you!

My hubby is becoming a PRO.

Silver & Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I understand your concern. I hope all goes well and you get exactly what you're looking for.

neon-dream
December 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Good Luck!!!
:blossom:
You're right, the pegasus is cute ^_^!

ladyluck
December 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Good luck, the only advice I can offer is be strong, be specific and dont feel guilty for asking exactly what you want. Thats what they are there for, rememer YOU are the customer.

MissMaryMac
December 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you everyone! I feel pretty confident about asking for what I want... I definitely wouldn't feel confident enough to trim my own hair... :hmm:

I'm actually looking forward to the whole pampering side of the hair cut. It'll be nice to have someone else take care of my hair for me for an hour at least. ;)

Good luck gallows_gallery! I'll try to come back tomorrow and let you all know how it went. Thanks again!:)

Honey39
December 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
When I get my hair cut, and I give an amount (an inch/half an inch etc), I usually show with my thumb and forefinger exactly how much I mean so there is no misunderstanding! People use different definitions, and some people are vague, and take one inch to be several, lol.

When i go to the hairdresser, I am very very precise about what I want done. Maybe it's getting older, but I am not there to be their best friend - I just tell them exactly what I want done (because I have my hair highlighted). Spend time on the consultation, and tell them that you are growing your hair, you don't want this or that, you DO want this or that, etc. A good hairdresser welcomes very specific instructions

Enjoy, I'm sure you'll come back here tomorrow with the most beautiful trim and can swish away your hair for christmas!!

Darkhorse1
December 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Communication is key. Ask them to show you what their defanition of whatever length you want trimmed is. Meaning, if I go into a hair dressers for a half an inch cut, they show me what half an inch is to them. Then, I say a quarter or so forth. Lately, I just my hair dresser to do dustings to keep the ends even. I cannot trim my own ends as I have a natural curl that instantly pops up the minute scissors hit it.

Good luck and can't wait to see what your hair looks like! You too GG!

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
TIPS FOR GETTING THE TRIM YOU WANT IN A SALON

1 Arrive with pre-washed hair and dried.

2 Have them conduct the trim dry -- if it's just a trim (and not layers). This is especially more helpful for more curly folks.

3 Mention the specific MEASUREMENT to be removed: 1/2 inch, 1 inch. Have the stylist show you what their interpretation of that is...where they INTEND to make the line (Before actually starting).

4 Wear a striped shirt across so there's a line for them to see to kinda reference.

5 Bring a tape measure, and measure starting and ending! (Keeps people honest.) (Measure from the front forehead hairline over head and down the center back portion of hair). ETA: If you want the trim done wet, then measure wet BEFORE/AFTER. Same for dry....either way. END ETA

6 Tell what type of HEMLINE you want: straight across means shorter on the sides than you might like; u shape; v shape...whatever it is

7 Bring a trusty friend.

8 Have the cut where your back faces the mirror, and hold a mirror up so you can watch the work being done.

9 Detangle your own hair with their guidance so all hair is aligned.

Depends on what you want. Since you mention looking forward to being pampered, then anticipate a hair wash, and a lot of tangles. Most stylists are not well versed with longer locks. They tend to start at the top and yank if they lack experience with long hair. They tend to rely on detangler sprays too (silicone).

I hope you are working with stylist who understands your long hair goals.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I was taught by my hair guru to NEVER walk in to a stylist and state, "I want a trim." In his day, "trim" was defined as where the splits begin. Us long haired folks know that splits occur all throughout the hair, and is the most likely explanation for too much trimmed. This term, "trim" is therefore too vague.

BE SPECIFIC IN THE MEASUREMENT. AND as stated above, have them show you what they think that is to you because you'd be amazed at how many people do not know what an inch really looks like when put against a tape measure. I see some distances that are pretty vast, when people hold up their fingers to me!

heidi w.

ladora
December 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
All the best for the haircut! Like what many have said here, make sure you tell the person exactly what you want.

And personally, i'd say make sure you're 101% committed to getting your hair cut. Don't do it if you're only 80% sure, or heck, even only 99% sure. I used to be very half-arsed in making haircut decisions in the past when i was younger, and i always regretted it. Sometimes i would spend days thinking "Should i or should i not cut my hair?".

But ever since i made the decision to grow my hair long, i've always made sure i'm completely sure before i step into the salon. Even if i sense a bit of uncertainty, i step right out and go home. Even when my mom pressured me to cut my hair, i fought her off (well not literally of course!) because i was not ready and saw no need for it.

And of course, try to go to a hair dressing salon that you frequent, and that you are comfortable with. The one i go to, i've been going to them for well over 10 years, so they know my hair well.

MissMaryMac
December 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I only have a few minutes here, then I'm going to crawl into bed after a very long day.:) Everything went really well at the salon. The girl really listened to me, despite a slight language barrier. She showed my hair off to all the other stylists. She really took her time with my hair and was very gentle when combing. Before she cut anything she showed me what she intended to cut, and it was actually less than I asked for. I will try to get some new pictures posted soon. Thank you everyone for all the great advice!!:D

Darkhorse1
December 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Can't wait to see photos--I hope Gallows Gallery also had a successful trim/cut too :)

longhairedfairy
December 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I only have a few minutes here, then I'm going to crawl into bed after a very long day.:) Everything went really well at the salon. The girl really listened to me, despite a slight language barrier. She showed my hair off to all the other stylists. She really took her time with my hair and was very gentle when combing. Before she cut anything she showed me what she intended to cut, and it was actually less than I asked for. I will try to get some new pictures posted soon. Thank you everyone for all the great advice!!:D

Sounds like she's a real pro!:D I'm glad it went so well:)

Dolly
December 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM

That's GREAT! I have a stylist like that.....she does ONLY what I tell her to do. No more, no less. She knows what my goals are, and I have no problems going to see her when I need a trim.