PDA

View Full Version : how can I make colour fade faster?

brok3nwings
December 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
so these are the news for those who have listen to my despere the last time...

I went to the hairdresser and of course he didnt listen a lot to what i had to say... i tried but what the hell, its almost impossible! Basicly what he did was to give me some lowlights all over with a semi permanent colour (he said it had 1.9 peroxide volume and it lasts about 1 month and a half) and the colour he said it was my base colour...and its not. Its darker, a dark blonde and i can see the difference. i know it will eventually fade but i wanted to get it a little lighter so i can look at myself again...
so my question is:

what methods can i use to make colour fade faster???
i´ve only thought about clarifying shampoos...
any sugestions?

By the way, i am so sad about my hair that i cant even comment about anything else. and its christmas lol

Loviatar
December 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I would take a look at the honey lightening thread. Clarifying shampoos will work, but could be a tad harsh.

One thing I feel gives me a little lightening 'lift' is mixing my conditioner 50/50 with honey and leaving it on for about 15-30 minutes. It's not much but it makes me feel like I'm doing something, and the conditioner feels like it counteracts the peroxide effect of the diluted honey.

Another thing that Viviane and Iris have tried (I think) is mixing honey and coconut milk with conditioner and leaving that on for an hour or so. They tried it to remove henna, but it might also lighten permanent colour.

missy60
December 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I think any treatment you try I would add heat, because it is advised to not use it for 2 weeks after color because it will cause the color to fade. You the the open hair strand and all so I would think it would work in reverse. You could try hotter water also that is suppose to open the cuticle.

You could do an over night soak in oil and then wash in hot water and do a deep treatment with heat. That might take some of the color out, because those are all things you dont do when you want to keep your color.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think the best thing would be to give your hair a rest. Quit looking at it and get busy with other things. I had to do that when I would get frustrated about how slow my hair was growing. I'd put it up very quickly in my bedroom every morning.

wintersun99
December 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I get awesome lightening with the 50/50 honey/conditioning deep treatment, as well. I would suggest trying that first since it can be so good for your hair, too. Or perhaps, an overnight oiling followed by the honey/conditioner might be even more effective.

The next thing to try would be washing hair with a harsh shampoo (like Selsun Blue, Prell, etc) or thirdly, try Nightshade's suggestion of mixing baking soda with Baby Shampoo. Good luck

MsBubbles
December 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
How often do you wash your hair? I had my stylist put lowlights into my bleached ends back in September, and it achieved what I wanted it to, but was a bit too dark. After two weeks I'd say it had already faded by about 50%, and now here we are 2.5 months later and it's probably about 75% lighter/faded than when I stepped out of the salon. I wash every other day, for greaseball reasons. I think frequent washing sped up the fading, even though I use an organic shampoo.

When I was younger (in my 20s) I may have been very distressed for those 14 days my hair was too dark (with a green tinge, no less!), and it probably would have taken over my entire life for the duration. Now older and somewhat wiser, I am able to put it into perspective and get on with life. Before you know it, 2 weeks will be over, hardly anybody else will have noticed your hair change if you haven't told them about it, and the darker color will have faded. Hang in there!

Aljona
December 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think an overnight oiling could work, and then maybe washing with a clarifying shampoo followed buy a deep treatment.

Was your hair coloured/bleached before the lowlights? If it was bleached, the lowlights might fade very fast. I once bleached my hair and then when I tried to get my natural haircolour back the colour didn't stick.

LutraLutra
December 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
A few years ago I accidently faded some expensive (gggrrr) lowlights by using deep conditioning packs. Just basic Pantene Pro V type 'hair resque' masques. Give you hair a good soak in a masque and lots of oil and that'll really help fade your colour down. As reformed hair dye addict myself, I'd stay away from anything more complex unitl your hair settles down again. :)

Fencai
December 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
i know that myself and friends had fading when they used Pert Plus shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1. My step mom still has that problem. Im trying to get her to switch.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I agree with the baking soda mixed with a "strong" shampoo. Your colorist might have anticipated the liklihood of fading a lot in the first few washes though and it may just do exactly the right amount to match. Also it may just look darker to you because you aren't used to it. Why don't you see when your natural color grows out a bit if it might match better than you think right now.

RocketDog
December 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
heavy oilings + SMT's + honey lightening pulled the permanent dye right out of my hair!

Katze
December 23rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
How often do you wash your hair? I had my stylist put lowlights into my bleached ends back in September, and it achieved what I wanted it to, but was a bit too dark. After two weeks I'd say it had already faded by about 50%, and now here we are 2.5 months later and it's probably about 75% lighter/faded than when I stepped out of the salon. I wash every other day, for greaseball reasons. I think frequent washing sped up the fading...

I have to agree with MsBubbles. I had a "corrective darker dye job" done in June 2006 (see profile pic with horse), after seeing terrible, terrible two-toned pics of my growing-out hair. Because I was using LHC methods and not cone-laden "colored hair" products, the dye faded super fast, and even though it was supposed to match my natural color I was left with yet another demarcation line within 6-8 weeks.

I am still, 2.5 years later, growing out two toned hair. The bad news is that there is nothing that will fade it faster than washing it. I really wanted honey to lighten my virgin hair enough to blend with the dyed/bleached bits, but as you can see in all my pics, years of honey use have made no difference.

The good news is that as it grows more of the dyed hair will fall out, making the demarcation line less noticeable. Eventually you will have a few streaks and highlights, which will also - eventually, I'm talking years - be gone.

There are a lot of us growing out dye here - check out some of the threads as well as Nightshade's articles about damage and natural dyes.

good luck!

There