PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Snowy/Winter Weather?

WaimeaWahine
December 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
How on earth do you ladies wear your hair during the Winter when you have to go out? What if it's snowing and you really need a hat?

I have a knit hat but hate it because it mashes my hair against the sides of my face. My hair is not braid friendly, and attempts to stuff my hair into hats is futile as it just slides right out.

Please share with me how you keep warm and comfortable outside this time of year. :confused:

Janka
December 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
I have the same problem with hats/caps - they stick my hair to my head and face. Especially the sticked bangs/fringe look horrible. So usually, wearing a hat is a bad hair day... :(
I definitely don't do anything special with my hair - it'll look horrible anyway as soon as I remove the hat. So I just let it down (quite seldom), ponytail low at nape or braid. Any sort of volume or style would be just a loss of time. I then just try to lift and sort of loosen the sticked hair with my fingers and if possible/necessary, redo the ponytail/braid...
Depending of cold it can get in your area, maybe wearing the hood of a jacket would be sufficient protection against the cold and snow. The hoods are not as tight as hats, you might try that. In a chilly wind, you'll need a hat whether you like it or not ;)

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
I leave it free or loosely tied back, in a hat??? static puff-ball is the result.... I wear a hat only when its really really cold, though i suppose warm hoods are slightly better ....:D

Anje
December 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
I tend to wear braids with hats, though I recently knit the hat in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12402). If you wear updos a lot, it's quite nice!

Calista
December 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
I do my usual bun, secured with a fork or ficcare, and I just pop the hat over that. I have never had a problem with that. I do have to make sure I don´t insert the fork sideways, though.

You could also wrap a scarf around your head or knit yourself a calorimetry (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8171&highlight=).

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Threadjack:

Is that scissors stuck in your hair??? :shudder:

Calista
December 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Threadjack:

Is that scissors stuck in your hair??? :shudder:
hehe, thatīs what I asked myself, too! Great minds think alike! :lol:

suicides_eve
December 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
i use a fleece like hat- i love it

ladyluck
December 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
I normally wrap my head and neck in a scarf, then you can change how tight/loose it is. Also my head seems to get hot and itchy so quickly its handy just to unwrap a bit when I need to.

Pierre
December 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
Sometimes I make earmuffs out of my hair. I twist each half, then fold it up and secure the end to the temple with the Mini Max. Other times I just stuff the hair into a Polar Buff. For me, braids are for summer, though a week ago it was warm and I kept a pair of braids for a few days.

kiora
December 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Normally just leave it loose under my hat and sort of fingercomb it back before I put it on. It keeps some of the volume.
If it's really awful outside I just use one of my huge poofy knitted hats and lightly twist and tuck all of my hair into it in the back.
If the hat's big enough you'll get really long hair in there too. :)

Islandgrrl
December 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Bun with a calorimetry seems to work best for me. The bun gets wet or cold, but at least my ears & head stay warm!

MissMaryMac
December 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
The hat problem!! :D I just put my hair up in a secure bun, then skip a hat but wear one of those nifty head-band-ear-warmer thingies. Sorry, I don't think that helps much huh?

XeniaR
December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I wear the hood on my coat and a scarf around my kneck. To make the hood stay on.

But I also have a leather baseball cap and I find it really keeps me warm. I wear that with my hair in a low poney tail or loose.

The leather is the smooth kind and it never messes up my hair like a knit hat does. Sometimes my hood on my coat will give me static.

I can't knit but those calorimetris look wonderful. I wish I could get a pattern to make it on those round hoops I have that is a fake kind of knitting.

ole gray mare
December 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I wear a braid and put the hat over it. I stuff the braid into my coat. Then when I get to work, I usually take the braid out, fluff the scalp and make a bun. It works pretty well.

Meli
December 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I wear jackets with hoods. For me, that works even if I wear hairsticks. I tend to wear buns more often during winter, as I don't want my braids to rub between the jacket and my back.

angelthadiva
December 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
If I wear a hat my hair can not be loose; it will look like a Weird Science electrical experiment if I take my hat off...

So, depending on which hat I wear, I will either wear my hair in an English Braid, or two twin braids...I've been adding to my hat collection as of late, so I have a bunch of extra cute ones that I just leave on...Women wearing hats in doors is a perfectly acceptable practice. Upon occasion, I will opt to wear those winter headbands; in that case I will wear a low bun.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have an angora hat that I made myself in an oversized beret style. I can put all my hair inside it loose if I want or have it braided or in a bun. It's very light, yet warm, and doesn't squish my hair.

If no hats suit you, you might try a silk scarf.

nimeera
December 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I wear an updo, then just wrap my neck and head with a 100% cotton cloth as a scarf. It prevents that static and squished hair issue.

harpgal
December 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
First I put my hair up in a braided bun. Then I tie a silk scarf around it, tying it to the back, with the tail of the scarf tucked in. Then I wear a parka with a hood. I have been out in way below zero F weather that way and my ears, head, and hair stay protected and warm.

vampodrama
December 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
since all hats make me look very very stupid, then I simply never wear them... but then again I am also the kind of person who drives everywhere so I don't really need a hat anyway...

I leave home with my hair loose, stuffed inside my coat and scarf. when I arrive to work I either bun/braid my hair or leave it loose. I can't bun or braid my hair or do anything with it before, because my scarf and the coat will mess up absolutely everything (I learned this the hard way when I made a braided bun once at home and spent the drive to work with hairpins sliding into my clothes, one by one.)

heidihug
December 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
I definitely don't do anything special with my hair - it'll look horrible anyway as soon as I remove the hat.

That's me, too. I like the way hats look on me, but my hair hates them, especially my fringe, so they're a no-go. I will wear ear muffs/headband if it's really cold - it's been hovering at or below zero F for the past couple of weeks here, and I've been trying to remember to take a headband with me even if I don't wear it in the morning. That way, if I get stuck, I have some sort of protection for my head. Scarves sometimes do the trick, too, but I always seem to misplace them, as they don't fit into my pocket.

auburnlocks
December 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I just knitted myself a headband. It look like a hat with the top missing. LOL. I put buttons on the back, so I can just unbutton it instead of trying to pull it on and off my head which makes a total static mess out of my do. :mad:

Also I use my hood alot. It doesn't mess my hair up.

Darkhorse1
December 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I LOVE this time of year--I'm weird. I love seeing snow in my hair. Of course, last year, I flat ironed my hair and it then poured rain last year, and my hair went pouff! That was mother nature's way of telling me to ditch the flat iron (only time I've ever used it! hahaha).

This year, I plan on using a hair stick for a half up/down do. I usually leave the length under my jacket if it's cold/windy, but don't wear a hat. I wear them all the time at the barn, so I go au natural--unless it's bitterly cold--then I take a long scarf and cover my head.

WaimeaWahine
December 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you so much for all the responses and great ideas!

My knitting is horrid and I can't read patterns but my freestyle crochet (lol) is not bad. I'm going to have to consider making something. I do have a wide stretchy chenille headband but it slides all over.

This looks great and maybe can be crocheted somehow. Seems like it would protect both head and hair but fabric isn't warm enough plus it's a bit expensive:

http://www.challahandhats.com/westwood%20snood.jpg

mira-chan
December 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I wear my usual bun and wrap a scarf around my head. Hats, especially knit ones, tend to spectacularly eject off my head.

Henitsirk
December 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Thank you so much for all the responses and great ideas!

My knitting is horrid and I can't read patterns but my freestyle crochet (lol) is not bad. I'm going to have to consider making something. I do have a wide stretchy chenille headband but it slides all over.

This looks great and maybe can be crocheted somehow. Seems like it would protect both head and hair but fabric isn't warm enough plus it's a bit expensive:

http://www.challahandhats.com/westwood%20snood.jpg

I was going to suggest something like that! Where I live, I have to wear a wool hat in the winter or I freeze. Luckily my hair is pretty impervious to hat issues, so I wear a knitted wool cap all the time when I'm out. But if you could crochet something a bit baggy (like a snood, only more solid) then I'm sure you could fit your hair in there and it wouldn't get smooshed so much.