PDA

View Full Version : Wavier with humidity

Mike
December 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Much different than my avatar which was taken in the desert. Much darker too. I need to figure out my camera. hate reading the manual.
Mike

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq21/MikeLHC_photos/at-1-3.jpg

RoseRedDead
December 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
You have lovely, shiny hair. Almost blinding, it is. :agape:

Mike
December 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
You have lovely, shiny hair. Almost blinding, it is. :agape:
Thanks Rose. Your hair is gorgeous and it's at my goal length of mid back. Looks like the waves mine will have at that length too. I guess since it is coming in wavier it will take me longer to reach goal. My main goal is to keep it healthy and this is the place for advice on that. Happy Holidays.
Mike

RocketDog
December 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
My hair is plenty wavy/curly in Utah's dry climate, but when I visited Texas this past week I discovered that humidity makes my normally-sedate curls go CRAZY! I had bouncy, floofy curls that wouldn't lie down, so my hair went EVERYWHERE. Fun for a day, annoying when it happens constantly ;)

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Interesting, I wonder why the humidity would do that as logically, wouldn't it weigh down your hair? hmmmm.... Your hair is amazing by the way :D:D:D

AJoifulNoise
December 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
All of my shorter hairs pop out of my head into little curls when it's humid. So, I'm not surprised you saw some difference. But, that's an amazing difference. Your hair looks so happy!

Mike
December 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
All of my shorter hairs pop out of my head into little curls when it's humid. So, I'm not surprised you saw some difference. But, that's an amazing difference. Your hair looks so happy!
Thanks Joiful, Dreamer and Rocket. I hope it stays this healthy as it grows out. I've never really looked at the back of my head until these pictures and now I am noticing that the avatar may need to be replaced with this post pic since it is more accurate of the waves. I think the 5% humidity in the desert and the CO in the avatar pic got rid of my waves.
I love the "hair looks happy" comment Joiful. It's getting happier everyday. By the way, you all have incredibly beautiful hair. Thanks again.
Mike

Johanna64
December 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Wow,your hair looks very good :)

Tangles
December 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yep, it's normal.
When I traveled to New Mexico, my hair became 1b straight and glossy. I LOVED it.

In the South, my hair is a 2b/c; in most other regions of the country, I'm in the 2a range, with 2b on rainy days.

jeno
December 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Nice hair! And I don't think it looks darker, just more ashy which I like. Wish I had those waves... Doesn't matter how humid it gets, my hair is almost completely straight! But it feels better when I'm near the sea.

jojo
December 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I love your hair, its so shiny and i agree it looks ashy on the more recent photo. My hair goes coily (is this even a word?) in humidity!

Mike
December 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Johanna, Tangles, Jeno and JoJo. I'm not sure what color ashy is but it must be good considering your compliments. Do not mess with Jeno. Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt! That's the stuff they do in the UFC fights. Ouch, I will be nice Jeno. Happy Holidays All.
Mike

Mike
December 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks Johanna, Tangles, Jeno and JoJo. I'm not sure what color ashy is but it must be good considering your compliments. Do not mess with Jeno. Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt! That's the stuff they do in the UFC fights. Ouch, I will be nice Jeno. Happy Holidays All.
Mike
Forgot to mention you all have amazing hair. I'm jealous of your length.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Interesting, I wonder why the humidity would do that as logically, wouldn't it weigh down your hair? hmmmm.... Your hair is amazing by the way :D:D:DNo, it doesn't weigh your hair down. It adds moisture which makes wavy/curly hair wavier/curlier. When a curly spritzes her/his hair then that's why it "revives" the curl. Moisture is what makes it curlier. My hair is very easy to straighten in the winter and very hard to do it in the summer for this reason. We have a very humid summer and dry winters. :D

Very pretty hair by the way!!!

spidermom
December 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with everyone else; your wavy hair looks great. Mine changes according to climate as well. While we were in Italy, my hair was pretty close to stick-straight, even when it was rainy. I can't quite figure that one out.

Themyst
December 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
My hair gets very thick and heavy in humid weather. I love it like that. Now that the wood stove is going for the winter, I'm back to static and flyaway!

And BTW Mike, you do have really nice hair, love your pic.

Euphony
December 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
What pretty hair you have!

While staying at my in-laws' place on Mt Hood in July I noticed my hair was not only straighter, but it took far less time to dry. It cut the drying time nearly in half. Currently we live right on the water, I'm looking at the bay right outside my office window, so it's quite humid here. Now I've finally quite fighting with my wave, I've come to the conclusion that no - I do not have straight hair, I've learned to live with that. Soon we are planning on moving pretty close to where my in-laws live, what oh what will I do finally getting the wish that I abandon so long ago about having straight hair? It seems so odd now :D

Mike
December 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Thank you Curls, Spider, Themyst and Euphony. Your comments on my hair are really appreciated. I hope it stays like this as it grows long. I see alot of posts about oiling and wearing your hair up which I don't have top learn to do at this current short length. What would all of you LHC veterans do if your hair was like mine and you want it to continue to be healthy until it reaches terminal length? 'Terminal Length', learned that one here. See I am paying attention.
Thanks all,
Mike

Teacherbear
December 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Mike, I have to agree with the others, your hair looks great.

One way that I encourage my waves/curls is to wash my hair, leave it in a towel for 20-30 minutes, brush/comb it out, then let it air dry. When I touch it again to brush/comb it pulls out a lot of my curl. So often I won't re-brush/comb until the day is over and I'm heading to bed. In the mornings, I'll mist my hair with a mix of distilled water and some essential oils (EOs) with a scent I like (lavender and/or vanilla). The misting helps re-spring up my curls/waves for the day. I do that because I don't wash my hair every day. The misting helps either reset my curls or it helps keep my flyaway hairs more contained while I wear my hair up.

Welcome to LHC! :)

Lady Lilya
December 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
No, it doesn't weigh your hair down. It adds moisture which makes wavy/curly hair wavier/curlier. When a curly spritzes her/his hair then that's why it "revives" the curl. Moisture is what makes it curlier. My hair is very easy to straighten in the winter and very hard to do it in the summer for this reason. We have a very humid summer and dry winters. :D

Very pretty hair by the way!!!

Ditto. That is exactly what I was going to say.

My mother has very short curly hair. She always is happy when it is rainy.

Lady Lilya
December 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi Mike, I have to agree with the others, your hair looks great.

One way that I encourage my waves/curls is to wash my hair, leave it in a towel for 20-30 minutes, brush/comb it out, then let it air dry. When I touch it again to brush/comb it pulls out a lot of my curl. So often I won't re-brush/comb until the day is over and I'm heading to bed. In the mornings, I'll mist my hair with a mix of distilled water and some essential oils (EOs) with a scent I like (lavender and/or vanilla). The misting helps re-spring up my curls/waves for the day. I do that because I don't wash my hair every day. The misting helps either reset my curls or it helps keep my flyaway hairs more contained while I wear my hair up.

Welcome to LHC! :)

Yeah, I brush my hair right out of the shower, and then finger-comb to separate the ringlets (otherwise they all tangle around each other and become a big glob). Then I don't brush it again while it is dry. The next day, if I want to wear it loose, I re-wet it to some degree, depending on how much moisture it appears to need. Could be just running damp hands over it, spritzing it, or completely soaking it by sticking my head in the sink. If I am going to wear it up, I can usually just tame the surface frizz and flyaways by running damp hands over my hair.

chelles2kids
December 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
With more humidity, mine gets frizzer and poufier!
It definately has a mind of it's own!!:rolleyes:

Mike
December 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
With more humidity, mine gets frizzer and poufier!
It definately has a mind of it's own!!:rolleyes:
Mine does not frizz or get poofy. It is definitely on it's own journey. Guess I am just along for the ride and I'll just sit back and enjoy the scenery.
Mike

YogaGirl59
December 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mike, I like your hair so much more with the waves, they are gorgeous!

You think the CO washing made your hair straighter? I have never heard that before. That's what I've been doing for the past few weeks, but I don't want to lose my curls.

They call me the human barometer at work. I can always tell by my hair if it's going to rain or not. I read somewhere they use to make barometers out of human hair ages ago, before advanced technology.

Mike
December 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Mike, I like your hair so much more with the waves, they are gorgeous!

You think the CO washing made your hair straighter? I have never heard that before. That's what I've been doing for the past few weeks, but I don't want to lose my curls.

They call me the human barometer at work. I can always tell by my hair if it's going to rain or not. I read somewhere they use to make barometers out of human hair ages ago, before advanced technology.
Thanks YogaGirl.You've got great curls. Love the human barometer title too. I don't think the CO washing made it look straight. My guess, which has been confirmed here, is that since I was in the desert with barely any humidity it made my hair straighter. I should switch the 2 pictures and put the wavy in as avatar but I am lazy. It was hard enaough to post a picture. Merry Christmas girl.
Mike