PDA

View Full Version : A question I thought of today..

Auryn
December 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
How do you guys prevent the smell of smoke from staying in your hair? I have trouble getting the smell out even after I shampoo.

I shoot pool on a team and we play in bars or pool halls every week. The city where I live hasn't banned smoking in public places yet and I'm not sure when/if they will.

Any suggestions?

spidermom
December 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Maybe pin it up and wear a bandana/scarf over it? I was never so glad as when they banned smoking in bars up here. Except that DH and I used to go out dancing and now we don't (DH is a smoker). I thought it was going to be so great to get out there and dance without getting short of breath from all the smoke.

longhairedfairy
December 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
I second the scarf over the hair.
Vodka is supposed to be good for removing smoke smell (at least for laundry) and I think I remember reading that it helps hair shine (diluted), but I've never tried it myself.

angelthadiva
December 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
I hadn't thought of the scarf, but I was going to suggest that the days you go to the pool hall would be a no-wash day until after you shoot pool.

My mom and sissy are big smokers (and some other family members); I plan my outfits and my hair around my visits...I make sure I don't wear any "dry clean only" when I visit with my mom/sissy...I make sure I don't wear big thick sweaters, or my winter wool coat, and I most certainly make sure my hair is bunned up, oiled and not freshly washed...My hair is like a sponge and soaks up the smoke...I absolutely hate the smell of smoke on any part of me, especially my hair... :puke:

wintersun99
December 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm surprised shampoo is not working... I've never had a problem cleaning smoke from my hair with everyday shampoo.

RedButterfly
December 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM
CO- washing helps. The more moisturized my hair is, the smoke doesn't seem to penetrate it as much.

I use to have problems washing the smell of smoke out of my hair when I used really heavy mineral oil-based styling products.

Oskimosa
December 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
I used to have a friend who was not just a chain smoker, but his dad smoked cigars constantly, and they had several dogs they didn't really take care of. Even if I was there 5 minutes, I had to detox as soon as I got home. Couldn't even leave the dirty clothes in my hamper in my room.

I just had to lather several times. Putting my hair up didn't work, and even after 2-3 lathers sometimes it stayed in until the day after.

You know, baking soda is really good at absorbing odors. Maybe you should put baking soda on your hair dry, let it kindof sit for a bit, THEN shampoo. I bet that would help!

Copasetic
December 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
A post-shampoo rinse with AVC, lemon juice, or lime juice might be helpful.

jojo
December 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
or maybe putting a few drops of EO in your shampoo, ipersonally love ylang ylang

WaimeaWahine
December 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
Yes to the lemon juice suggestion. I recall women who worked in bars or in fish factories using lemon anything to get rid of the smell.

If you live near a natural products store like Whole Foods perhaps, you could try asking them. I know there's a product out now - completely natural and effective - at eliminating cat urine odor by attacking enzymes in the air. :) It's something you leave out like a bowl of baking soda so you wouldn't put it in or on your hair. May be worth a try.

Auryn
December 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I think I could shampoo on Saturday mornings and then when I shower on Sunday before I head out, I could wear a shower cap or do a WO and then shampoo when I get home.

I did two washings with baby shampoo and followed that up with Aussie's 3MM and I could still faintly smell the smoke after I got out of the shower. When I got up today though, it was gone.

I should probably wear it up when I shoot anyway, but I like to use my hair as a distraction to the other players :eyebrows:

SHELIAANN1969
December 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
When I go out, I rub Patchouli oil in my hair, it keeps the smoke from penetrating as badly, or else I just don't smell it as bad.

I went to a friends house for 2 hours Sunday, our friend smoked almost the whole time, and I had just showered and washed my hair that morning, needless to say, I had to do it all over again and had to wash my hair twice and leave conditioner on it for 10 minutes, ugh.

The clothes went immediately into a soak wash as well, yucko!

manyhorsesmane
December 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I wear my hair up in a clip while out in Garage World with DH, then when I can't stand it no more, I come in and let down my hair-the rest of me reeks but my hair smells as fresh as a shower~
I seriously wish he'd QUIT already!! :mad:

I used Febreze (http://www.febreze.com/en_US/fabric_refresher.do)on a stinky Basset Hound once, no kidding~it works!