PDA

View Full Version : I am going to brag on myself....

camillacamilla
December 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
I am being a good influence on my step daughter. She is 12 and has always wanted long hair, but used the blow dryer and flat iron and damaged her hair to the point her mother kept it whacked off into a chin length bob. Well this summer, I introduced her to plopping her curls and taught her what to use on her curly hair. She now embraces her curls, rarely blow dries or uses an iron on it. And her hair is probably APL now. She now dreams of having waist length hair. She has VERY few split ends and has even trusted me to trim the splits off for her. Being a step mommy is fun ( I have no children of my own, only pets.) It is nice when someone looks up to you and listens to you. :D

susiemw
December 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Congratulations! You're a wonderful example for your step daughter. :)

I wish my neices were more open to treating their hair well but they have an older sister who is a hair dresser and so it's lots of bleaching, high lights, straightening, blowdrying etc.

Susan

vidgrl007
December 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
I wish dd would listen when I try to tell her something about her hair

She would have the most gorgeous natural wavy hair but she doesn't take care of it.

She has tons of splits and I swear I can hear her hair say ouch every time she just rips a comb through her hair.

It's a little past bsl and hasn't really grown for a year:(

I have asked, pleaded, and even offered to take her to a salon to get it trimmed:rolleyes:.nothing works she wont let me or anyone near her hair.

I dont know if it's because she isn't really a girlie girl or what but just wanted to say Congrats on step daughter taking care of hair and being a good influence.

~GypsyCurls~
December 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey that's great! It's very important for one to embrace their own texture.

Fillette
December 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
That it awesome. It's always nice to have somebody who understands your goals and can help you achieve them. Also, it is really cool that you're teaching her to embrace her natural hair texture.

Melisande
December 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Camillacamilla, what a wonderful post. Your step daughter is lucky to have you in her life. Hair texture acceptance is an important step in self acceptance.

A 12 year old with a flat iron... that's very early, I feel.

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM
A 12 year old with a flat iron... that's very early, I feel.
Yeah that's what I feel too. I self consciously decided I can't be miss world beauty at the age of 13, and I won't, while other girl were already shaving their legs.
Congratulations camillacamilla, I know how hard is it to embrace your curls, and I'm happy you brought your daughter to do so and enabled her the way to long great hair.

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
That's brilliant! Keep up the good work!!!:D:D

BlackfootHair
December 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
That's awesome! I have a niece who has beautiful curls but likes the straight iron. I gave her some tips, but I don't think she's too keen on putting oil in her hair. lol

suicides_eve
December 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
thats great when some one can embrace their curls- i nevr eally manged mine when i was younger the 80's poof was in and all i had to do was brush- any way thats great new, i hope she continues with it through out her journeys

ladyluck
December 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Thats great, I wish I had a step mum like you when I was younger, maybe then I wouldnt of ended up with bad cuts including a bowl cut, page boy etc etc :D

plainjanegirl
December 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
That's awesome that you have influenced her like that. Keep it up!

camillacamilla
December 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
:)

My step DD is a sweet, sweet girl. If I buy her a product,she will use it, lol. She has things to clarify her hair with, pumpkin hair mask, etc. I even taught her how to use hair sticks, which she loves. I have been blessed to have her and her brother as my step children...or as we call it- the children born from my heart. :D

eyesofsummer
December 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM
That's great! I wish I had someone to do the same for me when I was her age. Sounds like a good way to bond, too :)

MimiKeki
December 31st, 2008, 07:07 AM
That's really lovely, that you are both so close to the point that she trusts you to trim her splits. I mean, I wouldn't even trust my own mother to do that :p
You must mean alot to her, and inspire her.

That deserves a pat on the back, for sure :cheese:

joyfulmom4
December 31st, 2008, 08:36 AM
That's awesome camillacamilla. Great about stepdaughter's hair. But even better that you are enjoying such a positive and special relationship with her. :)

Beloved
December 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Nice, Camilla. I'm sure she is loving that healthy hair!

Your stepdaughter is lucky. Girls like to have women besides their mother to model after and show them how to be women. The relationship you're building is something you guys will treasure for life.