PDA

View Full Version : Good idea Bad timing

jera
December 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
For the second time in my life I decided to quit using a blow dryer on my hair. I started this week but didn't want to say anything in case I chickened out. :p

My hair is already responding. Problem - it's COLD where I live and has been snowing almost non stop for the last 48 hours. Tonight's winds are gusting to over 50 mph. ( Excuse the weather report ) It takes my hair 4 hours to dry thoroughly and I'm freezing.

Any advice on how I can keep up the good work without turning into the first human popsicle. :confused: I don't want to give in.

camillacamilla
December 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Could you wash it the evening before and let it dry while you eat dinner and get ready for bed? In the morning, put it up or in a shower cap so it doesn't get wet. That is what I do.

amaiaisabella
December 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Aim the blowdryer at your clothes (under your shirt, on your feet, by your neck) to keep warm, and avoid your wet hair entirely? :)

Honey39
December 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Micro fibre turbie - they suck a lot of the wetness out of your hair, and within about half an hour get it moderately dry. Then just be in a warm flat for another half an hour maybe?

I dunno, I tend to be a bit gung ho about having wet hair; once it gets to the damp stage, it stays like that for hours. I hate having wet hair that's up when it's cold, because then I find it freezing. I air dry damp hair in all weathers, although would always try and time it so it had at least an hour in my flat before I had to go outside.

susiemw
December 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Since it's the heat that is damaging to the hair how about blowing drying with your blower on the cold setting (if your's has that)? In this cold weather (it's -3 F here) I would think the Hair Gods would look the other way if you were
blow drying your hair with cold air. Better than having your hair turn to icicles when you go outside!

Susan

Anje
December 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
After letting my hair sit in a towel for a few minutes, I rotate my towel so that there's a dry portion contacting my hair and re-wrap it. This sucks up a lot more water and cuts my airdrying time. Fluffing the roots periodically as the hair dries also seems to get it to go faster. I'd be willing to bet that switching to a second towel (maybe a microfiber) would speed things along even more, but I haven't tested it.

I also advocate washing hair in the evening, when you're at home, so you have plenty of drying time. You can bundle up extra to make up for the cool hair, and perhaps adjust the thermostat or vents so that you can be in a warmer room.

missmanytoes
December 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Move to Florida? LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist. We've been having a very nice, warm winter so far and today it hit 81F!

PS - The microfiber turbie/towel really is a good idea. I'd estimate that when I use one it cuts my drying time in half

BranwenWolf
December 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I wrap my hair in a towel twice like Anje says and wash my hair before bed. I also try to lay on my side and fan it out on the pillow behind me- does that make any sense? I also sleep with a towel on my pillow.
It's still a bit damp in the morning but the last couple of days I've put it in two braids and tucked those in my coat. They sort of get steam-dried in there. :D

I feel your pain about the cold and the wind- we're stuck on the single digits here.

YogaGirl59
December 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Jera,

I joined LHC a month ago and decided to quit using my blow dryer too. Well, last night it was 2 degrees and the wind has been blowing like crazy, so I'm having the same problem. I decided to see what would happen if I sat in front of my space heater, set on low heat and let is oscillate while I scrunched my curls. It seemed to work pretty well. I stopped before it dried completely, but was no longer dripping wet.

I felt a little guilty doing this sinced I have stopped using the blow dryer. I didn't sit very close to the space heater, so it really wasn't blowing that forcefully.

NebraskaChick84
December 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
it's currently -6F here in nebraska with a windchill of somewhat lower, I wash my hair at night but the one thing that keeps me AND my hair warm is to towel dry it first (I don't rub it though, I just sqeeze it and work my way down the hair) and then before I get dressed I twist it up in a bun. it keeps the wet hair off my neck and it keeps my bunned hair warm. I redid my wet bun 24hrs later (went over to my mom's to shower last time our pipes froze and since i knew i'd have to go into the cold to get home I wet bunned it) and it was still pretty damp in the middle (the ends were dry though) and really warm.

hth's!

Celticfreefall
December 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I second the turbie, since I need one desperately and am this close to stealing a friends. It's -5 here in MI with the windchill and I can't get out of my parking lot (the snow is nearly up past the hoods on cars here). Like another recommended, wash your hair before you go to sleep (mine takes a night and day to dry, but I suck it up, lol). If you absolutely have to go out and your hair isn't dried yet, use a fashionable wooly hat or a headscarf over your hair. You loose most of your body heat through your head, so, you'd be amazed what a nice hat or headscarf can do for your comfort level even if your hair is just washed wet. Even around the house. I'm guilty of wearing a wooly hat, scarf, and gloves around the house to keep toasty warm. No one will see you anyway XD I also agree with keeping it off your neck. Braid it, bun it back, anything high and off your neck. You'll feel much warmer.

LutraLutra
December 22nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
I've switched to washing my hair in the evening, and it makes my hair much easier to manage. When my hair is freshly washed it's very floaty, but if it wash it and oil it in the evening by morning it's soaked up the oil and once it's combed through I'm good to go. If I want to wear my hair down it means I can spend the extra ten 'blowdrying' minutes in bed :D. Also, my hair now looks the same as it does if I blowdry it, so I don't bother.

Bene
December 22nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
i haven't worn a hat since i made myself a calorimetry, and on extra cold days, i'll pull the hood of my coat up. but back in the day i used to make a low braid, and tuck it into the back of my coat, and hat on top. i could always make a quick bun as soon as i arrived where ever i was going.

Ryanne
December 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
The turbie, it helps my hair dry faster. Or as Celticfreefall suggested a scarf or hat.

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Wearing your hair in a towel-nun style!!!, and doing this in the evening to give your hair time to dry...:D

ladyluck
December 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I have a turbie and I always put it on the radiator before I use it, then its nice and toasty warm. :D

For me, one of the fortunate things about having fine hair is it dries in no time at all.

Pierre
December 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
It's -5 °C this morning (to be precise that's what it was an hour ago) and I have to take a shower this morning. It was about 15 the previous few mornings. So I'm going to take the shower, then dry with the microfiber towel, then make a smoothie, then do laundry (which means my feet will be in warm water), then make lunch, then go out with my hair, probably still damp, in the Polar Buff. I couldn't take the shower last night because I had to work late because the bus timing missed a race condition. (I'm talking about the city buses, not electronic buses.)

goodenough
December 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I dry mine on the cool setting with no damage. And I stretch to three days without washing in the winter. When I used to have a long comute, I would turn the heat on in the car and fluff it with my hands:) For some reason, I'd rather leave the house with it wet than sllep with it. I don't know why.

Xandergrammy
December 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've officially switched to washing my hair in the evening. The idea of getting into a cold tub in a cold bathroom on a cold morning and then having wet, cold hair sounded too COLD to me! :gabigrin:

amz1998
December 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
I am going to echo the dry on cool setting. This is what I have done for the past couple of years. It is too cold to risk getting sick. Anyway, just set the dryer for the lowest heat setting or medium if you find that the lowest doesn't do the trick.

No matter what you do, even the most careful planning can be upset. Meaning, even if you plan to wash your hair at night, sometimes it just can't happen, so you should be prepared to break out the old dryer once in a while. It is inevitable.

jera
December 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I already aim the blow dryer at my hands and feet to trick my mind into thinking it's warmer than it is. :) The turbie is another idea I'll seriously consider. Last time I quit the b' dryer it was the end of winter and not the beginning so by the following winter I didn't mind at all. You can get used to anything. It's just the first few days in intense cold with long wet hair can be challenging. :D

missy60
December 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
The micro fiber towel is a great suggestion it really does cut the drying time down. You can get them at Wal Mart or the Dollar Store. They are smaller but they work great if you cant find the really big ones to turban in. I can even wrap my head in them, but maybe I have a small head. Just blotting your hair with them does help alot also.

nimeera
December 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
I don't like sleeping with wet hair. So I was in the morning, then wrap it in a regular towel and twist it on my head turban style. After doing everything else, (or when the towel wants to fall off), I remove the towel and oil, comb, and twist my hair into an updo. For winter, I wrap a pretty cotton cloth (dupata size) around my neck, over my head, and around my neck again. It keeps my head and my neck warm, like a scarf, but doesn't mess up my hairdo with static. I have fine hair, but in an updo it may take all day for the ends to dry. It doesn't bother me though so long as I cover my head when I go out.

It's better for the hair to be in an updo and covered anyway. Even when my hair is dry, I find I get lots of split ends if I wear it loose and uncovered in the cold air.