PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my hair...?

Shadow
December 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm having a bit of of a problem with my hair at the moment. It's behaving quite strangely in that it's sort of just 'staying where I left it'. What I mean by this is that I can, for example, put it into a med-high ponytail but when I take the holder out, my hair sort of stays in the pony tale shape (even at the height). Before it would just sort of fall down into place at my shoulders and now it sort of behaves like it has hairspary or something in even though it doesnt.

Does that make sense?

Any opinions about whats wrong with it? :confused:

EvaSimone
December 21st, 2008, 04:58 AM
Umm how long has it been since you last washed it?

Greasy hair... really greasy hair will keep it's shape.

Also one time after an egg mask my hair was on super protein overload... it wouldn't move at all and actually looked really nice. I just couldn't run my fingers through it or tousle it, it was strange.

Those are my two guesses.

Shadow
December 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Hi Eva,

I wash my hair every day...have just started co-washing in the hopes that it will help.

You think it could be too much protein?

Lamb
December 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
If you've just started CO washing, it is possible you are not rinsing well enough and there is stuff in your hair.
How do you do your washes, and what do you use?

Shadow
December 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Lamb,

This started before I started using the co-wash method (am rinsing pretty well btw). FOr reason reason my hair just went kind of stiff oe day and has stayed that way no matter what I do (airdry, blowfry, deep condition, protein treat, straighten - nothing works) :(

I havent even had it highlighted in weeks...have done nothing different to normal, it just happened out of nowhere.:confused:

aisling
December 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hmm, could this be due to the velcro effect from build up? A good shampooing, perhaps with a clarifying shampoo, would take care of that. When did you last wash with shampoo from root to tip and what kind of products do you use?

HairColoredHair
December 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
I would suggest a good clarify and starting over with the CO.

What conditioner(s) are you using?

Shadow
December 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I last clarified about a week ago. I use baking soda mixed with shampoo - normally Kerestase Bain de Force (the green one). I'm currently using the Biolage Colour Care Conditioner to Co-wash with.

My hair normally loves these products but lately it just hates everything.

Dolly
December 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
I would get some Suave clarifying shampoo. It gets rid of all of the gunk. I lather twice, from roots to tips, and then use a good moisturizing conditioner.

I am not personally familiar with the Biolage conditioner, but it could be that you need a lighter one to CO with. When I did CO, I used either White Rain extra body (very thin and very cheap), or one of the Suave flavors.....they are all light and didn't build up very easily on my hair.

Anje
December 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
I would also suggest clarifying, probably with something like the Suave clarifying shampoo, followed by a heavy moisture treatment, which could combat the effects of a protein overload. SMTs are a great place to start for moisture without protein.

Shadow
December 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies. Will give it a try :)

Not sure if I can get Suave in the UK but will have a look for it. If I cant find it, are there any alternatives that are available in the UK that anyone knows of, or will any clarifying shampoo do?

Silver Strands
December 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Neutrogena has a good one and Nexxus Aloe Rid is very good.

baobhan sith
December 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Mine went like that when i started CO washing, but it's not the same thing. However, mine behaved a lot better when i did a scalp massage, using Snowy's massage tecnique (she likes he SMTs doesn't she! I'm wondering what more i'm missing out on...) and it made my hair so soft. It still stayed put, but you could move it a lot easier, and it did fall out eventually..

speakyword
December 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
my hair just did that to me too... but that was because I was going a bit nuts with the dry shampoo thing. Whenever I try something new I go way overboard and then back off to normal after my hair revolts

NebraskaChick84
December 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
my hair does this after 3 days of not being washed (which is why I haven't taken it out of it's ponytail today) once I wash it's all better again.

Katze
December 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
my hair does this when it's greasy, too.

I would suggest a nice deep cleaning, either clarifying or washing twice with a sulfate-containing shampoo, then a deep moisture treatment like SMT. It sounds like a lot of buildup, to me.

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
If you wash your hair too much it can either dry it out, making it hard and unmalleable, or make your oil production go overload, also it depends on how long you leave your hair in that style, I think that it might of happened to me before :D

Shadow
December 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Okay, I tried a clarifying wash with baby shampoo and baking soda and then deep conditioned with Aussie 3 MM. It didnt really make much difference to the 'stiffness' but boy did it up the shine - I'm talking about serious wattage :D!

I went out today and picked up Tresemme Vitamin C Deep Cleansing Shampoo to clarify (and some coconut oil just because hehe). So will give that a try and keep you all posted on my results :)

jeno
December 29th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Does your conditioner contains proteins? My hair will behave very strangly with too much proteins!

Shadow
December 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM
Right, so the clarifying shampoo didnt make much difference but I have a theory on what the problem could be. Since my hair itself isnt stiff or coarse (it's actually pretty soft) I think the reason it's staying put when I take out hair-ties etc. may be because it just doesn't have enough weight to pull it down. I've recently been suffering from a massive stress shed that's caused me to lose about half my thickness and volume and I think that my hair is now just not heavy enough to fall like it used to (story of my hair hourney is now up on my blog :D).

What does everyone think?

girlcat36
December 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
My hair stays where it's put because it is thin, fine, and weightless. On a rare occasion it gets enough moisture to 'drop', but doesn't happen often enough.

Elenna
December 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
How often do you clarify? Maybe, you need to clarify with a clarifying shampoo more often. However, baking soda is too harsh IMO.

And maybe your hair needs a vacation from your current products/hair care method.