PDA

View Full Version : I'm awkward with compliments

Tap Dancer
December 21st, 2008, 04:03 AM
I was wearing my hair in a ponytail at work yesterday. My hair is chin length, so the ponytail was high and the bottom was down in back since it won't all go into a ponytail yet. An older man came over to me and said I have beautiful hair. I mumbled a thank you and then he asked where I got my hair; from my mother or father. I drew a blank and said, "I don't know. I don't really look like either of my parents..." D'oh! :p

We have to wear dark blue shirts at work. A few weeks ago, a woman came up to me and said, "With your fair skin and dark hair, that color is gorgeous on you." Again, I mumbled a thank you. I mean, I'm polite about it. I don't mumble in a bad way; I just feel weird when strangers compliment me. LOL :rolleyes:

vampodrama
December 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM
haha I'm the worst with compliments. usually when someone compliments me about something, the best they will get is a blank look and "oh...ok". and then I walk away all suspicious, pondering about their ulterior motives. and then ten minutes later I realise I probably should have thanked them at least as to not appear like a total dumbass. :D

but thankfully it doesn't happen that often, because we, estonians, don't usually compliment people :D

walkinglady
December 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
You don't stand alone, I feel awkward when people compliment me as well. I get tongue tied and embarrassed. I compliment people all the time so I don't know why it is so difficult for me to accept a compliment.

Tap Dancer
December 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
You don't stand alone, I feel awkward when people compliment me as well. I get tongue tied and embarrassed. I compliment people all the time so I don't know why it is so difficult for me to accept a compliment.

I'm not comfortable around strangers anyway, which is probably why I am the way I am. I might admire something about someone but if I don't know them, I won't talk to them.

Even though compliments are nice and I always thank people, at the same time I wish they'd be quiet and leave me alone. Isn't that awful? :o LOL

Ryanne
December 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
I can compliment friends, but feel awkward when they compliment me.
I'm not comfortable around strangers either, so I never compliment them and mumble a thank you without making eyecontact when someone compliments me.

Speckla
December 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Practice smiling and saying thank you in front of a mirror. Give yourself some sincere compliments and smile. It takes practice and becomes natural feeling after a while.
________
Ford bantam specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Bantam)

Themyst
December 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
I turn bright red and break out in hives all over my jaw, neck, and chest when someone compliments me! Imagine that - and it doesn't go away quickly. So if I'm at the grocery store and it happens and I still have half the store left to shop in, I walk around all red and then people stare at me even more - making me even redder.:rolleyes: By the time I get to the checkout, I'm a mess and I really just want to RUN out of there.

Probably some weird social phobia, huh? I don't go out much.

I still appreciate compliments - but like vampodrama, I start wondering about their ulterior motives (and sincerity).

Silver & Gold
December 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
I'm the same way about compliments, especially if it has to do with my personal appearance. I try to be gracious, smile and say thank-you but for some reason I'm embarrassed on the inside.

Xandergrammy
December 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm the same way but I've learned how to accept a compliment graciously. I give the "complimenter" a big, genuine smile (I actually "grin" more than smile) and a cheerful "thank you". Just the action of doing that can perk up your spirits. Try it next time. :flowers: :gabigrin:

ladyluck
December 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm the same, but do try and be gracious, smile and say thank you. The other thing is I feel compelled to return the compliment and then worry that I'm not sounding sincere.

Carina
December 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Oh I love compliments.But I'm better at giving them.

baobhan sith
December 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
From friends and family, I can accept compliments fine.. but anyone else (and i meant CLOSE friends) I just freeze up, and normally wonder if they mean it, or if they're taking the micky...
The only person who really compliments me is my boyfriend, and he does it so much i hardly register any more :)

Copasetic
December 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
I used to be really awkward with compliments too, and I still am sometimes, but I am getting a lot better. I usually give a big grin, and say thank you, and then make a self-deprecating comment like, "Well, you should see me in the morning, it's a whole different story" but I am trying to stop. The best way to accept a compliment is to say thank you, but it can be hard to do!

longhairedfairy
December 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
I grin cheerfully and say, "Thank you!" :D

Sudenmorsian
January 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Yesterday when I was working (at a store, just minding my boring business) when a man came to me and told me he had one wish. I said of course that oh, I'm sorry but I cannot decide on which products we sell here (I thought he's going to say the store should sell this and that, too). He said no, it's more like a personal wish: Promise me you don't ever let scissors anywhere near your hair :D

I was like haha, I'll probably keep that anyway.

Akiko
January 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
O! I love your siggy, Tap Dancer. Your hair looks soft and the color is rich and beautiful. So they were right about giving you compliments. I don't have much to add about how to receive compliments. I, too, say smile and say thank you.:cheese:

Themyst
January 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yesterday when I was working (at a store, just minding my boring business) when a man came to me and told me he had one wish. I said of course that oh, I'm sorry but I cannot decide on which products we sell here (I thought he's going to say the store should sell this and that, too). He said no, it's more like a personal wish: Promise me you don't ever let scissors anywhere near your hair :D

I was like haha, I'll probably keep that anyway.

That's wonderful for you - made your day a little less boring, eh?:)
It's nice to receive some encouragement now and then.

RedFrizz
January 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm hopeless with compliments; can't give them, can't accept them. I think my brain must be missing a vital emotional piece, because I constantly find myself thinking: "oh, so that's how you're supposed to react..!" when I'm surrounded by people sharing compliments, sad / happy news etc. Basically, anything related to emotions and I'm clueless.
If somebody (and this could be a total stranger or a person very close to me) compliments me I say something wise like "..ok..", "umm..", "really?!". And I always think that there's an ulterior motive behind their comment. I've been trying to do the smiling thing, but I think that's mostly scaring people.
Sharing compliments in writing is a whole other thing; I've noticed that it's much easier for me that way because I'm not face-to-face with somebody. Like I said, hopeless.

Nightshade
January 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I used to feel strange about getting compliments from strangers until I thought about the courage and the going out on the proverbial limb that someone does when they approach you to give that compliment.

Once I was able to acknowledge how they must be feeling (perhaps a bit nervous) it became a lot easier to smile and say "thank you".

Chromis
January 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I find *giving* random compliments helped me to be better at receiving them. Even simple things such as smiling at small children and little old ladies can help you feel a bit more outgoing without having to say anything at first.

Haith
January 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Oh, don't feel bad! I'm terrible with compliments too. I always blush and get all stuttery and clumsy. I probably come off as much more of a dork than you ever do...

SchnauzerMom
January 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I used to have that problem but I managed to teach myself to smile and say thank you.

embee
January 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, a nice smile and a clear "thank you" will do. It encourages the giver to say something nice again, and we longhairs really do need that to counteract all the "you're too old for long hair" stuff we hear!

Tap Dancer
January 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
O! I love your siggy, Tap Dancer. Your hair looks soft and the color is rich and beautiful. So they were right about giving you compliments. I don't have much to add about how to receive compliments. I, too, say smile and say thank you.:cheese:

Thank you. I feel the same way about your hair. :flower:

MimiKeki
January 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hun, I'm sure people find your modesty admirable. If you were full of yourself, I'm sure people wouldn't bother giving you compliments. (There really is nothing worse than a beautiful person who truly knows it, and draws attention to it all the time) If people are complimenting your hair etc, believe them totally ;D

slz
January 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Compliments make me feel more than awkward, actually I feel they are intrusive and agressive - sometimes making me react aggressively too in return, when I'm feeling otherwise depressed / sad / etc. I have learnt to grin and say thank you, but most of the time I just feel like shouting "it's none of your business, I'm not a freak, now leave me alone !".
But I am a notorious sociopath, so that may be why :eyebrows:
Now, seriously : I think what makes me hate them is that I feel it's either a try at hitting on me, or jealousy. I can't imagine a compliment being sincere, always questionning the "real motive".

FallenAngel
January 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I try to say something like "Do you think so? Thank you! It makes me happy to hear that." (Or maybe just "Thank you", if I don't get that happy :D)

It is hard, when you're used to say "Nooo.... this old rag? The colour is horrible on me!", but accepting a compliment is the nicest way to respond to one, in my opinion.

noelgirl
January 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm awkward about it too - I do the polite thing and say "thank you," but I can't help but blush a bit. Maybe I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop - because sometimes when someone comments on how long my hair is, it's followed by a negative remark, so when it's positive, I'm pleasantly surprised.