PDA

View Full Version : Reverse the effects of relaxing?

Neon Gloss
March 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm no expert, but I think there's pretty much nothing that can be done now, after the fact. Lost of moisturization maybe, scissors too...
Someone else with more know-how should give you a better answer :)

True enough! His hair isn't as long as it used to be anymore, so he should have no trouble growing his natural hair back.

I do think that he lost a lot of moisture, so maybe he needs to put some sort of oils in his hair to help it out a bit, I just don't know what. His scalp is of key concern because of its itchyness.

alys
March 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm no expert, but I think there's pretty much nothing that can be done now, after the fact. Lost of moisturization maybe, scissors too...

Neon Gloss
March 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM

True enough! His hair isn't as long as it used to be anymore, so he should have no trouble growing his natural hair back.

I do think that he lost a lot of moisture, so maybe he needs to put some sort of oils in his hair to help it out a bit, I just don't know what. His scalp is of key concern because of its itchyness.

thetokenlady
March 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
As far as I know, a relaxer is the same stuff as a perm. It breaks down the hair structure to change the curl pattern, but you straighten instead of wrapping around small rollers like you would for a perm. So, there is no reversing it, you'd have to do a perm over the relaxer, which I wouldn't recommend. Doing a perm over a perm could really damage your hair. If it's that bad he may want to cut and start over, unless someone else has a suggestion.

I'm not a stylist or anything, so this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :p

akurah
March 25th, 2008, 03:19 PM
If his scalp itches he may have had a reaction to the chemicals used in the relaxer. Since he'd have a hard time inspecting his scalp himself even with a mirror, I suggest that you offer to inspect it for him, to see if there are any places on his skin that look as if it were an allergic reaction (redness, bumps, etc).

If the itchiness is REALLY bad, it might behoove him to ask his doctor for an opinion. Otherwise the itchiness will probably go away on its own after some time passes.

I'd also suggest to him to lay off the shampoo and do conditioner or water only until the itchiness goes away. Shampoo can aggrivate an itchy scalp.

Buddaphlyy
March 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I used to have a relaxer, but I never had scalp problems from it so I really don't know. He may need to go to a dermatologist to see if he is having an allergic reaction and make sure he doesn't have any chemical burns.

As far as his hair, there's no reversing a relaxer. It's just going to have to grow out and eventually get cut off. Lots of deep conditioning and protein treatments to keep breakage at bay.

FroandBeyond
March 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I use to have a relaxer as well. There is no reversing, it is a permanent hair treatment.

Also, usually relaxers do not get the hair super straight. Most people or stylists who relax hair, follow the procedure with blow drying and flat ironing to get straight look.

prettyeyes1
March 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM
No reversing, you have to cut it off.

redcelticcurls
March 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Unless he had a Brazillian Keratin treatment, there really is no reversal.

missy60
March 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I use to get itchie scalp when ever I had a chemical service done. I would just apply an oil to my scalp usually emu oil or jojoba oil and it would go away in a few days.