PDA

View Full Version : Stylish hairdresser look without hair cut

karenpetal
December 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Folks

Its been 3 weeks I ahve been working as an assistant at a hairdresser - my second job. I was initially very skeptical abt my manger asking me to get a stylish cut - being in this proffesion demands some sleek look as opposed to my protective french braid.

I decided not to cut but instead spice up my ponytails - some of the inspirations I got was from here -
Havent tried the Beyonce one - but it looks really cool - whats say ppl

http://stylenotebook.blogspot.com/2007/07/posh-ponytails.html thought would share with you all

Happy holidays

marajade
December 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ooo lovely. I love the beyonce one. . . . :)

joyjoy
December 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think you're right to resist cutting your hair to keep the job. But I do think it's not unreasonable of your boss to expect you to have that just-stepped-out-of-a-beauty-parlor look.

I think one solution is to shoot for special occasion hair -- like prom or bridesmaid hair. Do something dramatic and dressy with the long hair, that most of the clientele would need extensions for.

And when you go for more casual looks, like that ponytail of Beonce's in the link, a visible use of product - gel or spray- looks more "done", and more suited for a hair salon.

Convince the manager that your long hair can be as good advertising for the salon as a shorter look.

Gumball
December 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a good idea since you don't have to sacrifice any length and there are still plenty of things to try out. :) I bet what you come up with will look just great!

alligatorbaby23
December 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Nice! I do this with my hair put in a sleek ponytail. Then I do a rope braid, but without a catch. It always dries perfect. A bit of coconut oil/ olive oil really sets my hair.
Since your hairtype is a bit straighter, you could do the same thing, but clip up the ends in behind the pony. It would hold the style and give you the look; whilest maintaining length and not using heat styling.
HTH-
mao

HairColoredHair
December 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe some lovely clips as well and do a variation on the peacock twist? At your length you'd probably have to twist from the top of the head down and then back up. Could also make a cute 'shorter' ponytail, especially with curls... and you could play with pretty clips!

akurah
December 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
If you do your hair just so, it's liable she'll sell lots of hair extensions for the sake of folks wanting your hair styles... if it were me, I'd TOTALLY play that angle. :whistle:

wintersun99
December 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I don't know anybody that wouldn't call Gwen Stefani, stylish :)

karenpetal
December 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
thank you folks for so many suggestions - I am pretty excited about trying these sleeker styles - gosh I love ppl at LHC - I started off being a boring ponytailer and then moved to protective braids and now these styles - thanks for the inputs

I want to have all these styles posted somewhere -
Let the ideas roll !!!!!

mellie
December 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Gorgeous!!! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Fantak
December 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM
This (http://girlhairstyles.blogspot.com) is a cute celebrity hairstyle blog, rarely updated, but had some good ideas ^.^

HTH ^.^

Boots
December 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm a ponytail and braid girl myself and I like cute little accessories. I bought some fun Goody hair ties from the Target collection (striped, metallic, etc.) that I like. Also, I recently discovered that pinning back some hair at the crown (like a half up but with a little less hair) and donning those elastic-y headbands that go all the way around give me the "bump it" type style. I'm thinking of still getting bumpits as well. I think it gives a nice modern flair to pulled back dos.

The other thing I've been doing lately is little braids on the sides or a lace braid across the top before pulling it all back. And I like headbands and scarves a lot... I guess I just like decorating my head. Even those sparkly bobby pins would help you dress things up.

I remember your original post; I'm really glad you didn't cut. I think your ideas are great.

Anje
December 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
I stumbled across Weddinghair.com (http://www.weddinghair.com/html04/longhair.html) a while ago, which shows a lot of fancy updos with PDF instructions of how to do them.

If you could find some reasonable, non-damaging ways of putting your hair up like some of these styles, you probably could get a lot of business doing styles, and not just cuts.

karenpetal
December 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hey folks thanks for the inputs - Boots I used to be ponytail guy only before LHC :)

Anje these styles are sooo beautiful .... simply gorgeous - thanks for the inputs

Boots
December 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
I stumbled across Weddinghair.com (http://www.weddinghair.com/html04/longhair.html) a while ago, which shows a lot of fancy updos with PDF instructions of how to do them.

No offense to you, Anje (good idea), but wow, some of those are deeply, deeply ugly! I do like some but... jmo of course.

Anje
December 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Oh, I agree, some are horrible. But different people will like different ones.

If you think those are ugly, check out the teen styles!

Boots
December 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Lol I'm afraid! A few were really nice though, near the bottom.

I just think women should look more like themselves on their wedding day and not so much like a stiff made up, generic conception of "bride." Did we learn nothing from Big and Carrie???

karenpetal
December 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh I totally agree some in Teens and Medium ate really bad :)

angelthadiva
December 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Since you are working in a salon I think you could get away with wearing styles that typically would be frowned upon; should you wear them at any other job. Working at a hair salon is about glamour, it's about making ones self over and beauty.

With you hair at it's current length, your possibilities are seriously endless...I would strongly suggest NOT to add any sparkly or floral embellishments, or anything that could be considered "girly" unless that is the look you are going for. You may decide later on to slowly add these into your hair style, but I would not recommend it right off the bat...Slowly ease into it; if that is what you decided to do...I would suggest to start off with some sophisticated looking updos.

You could do a Chinese braided bun, or a Japanese wrapped bun, and use a simple stick...The style alone is quite dramatic, so you don't need anything else to draw attention to it...A sock bun style would be another recommendation. I think this would be a happy medium choice as opposed to a "stylish" cut...Your new employer might be impressed with the styles you are able to come up with; same goes for the clients. :D

Boudicca
December 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
I've done that Beyonce ponytail before. It's really easy, and it fingercombs into ringlets.

karenpetal
December 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hey Thanks for your suggestions

Boudicca thanks - it would be great if you could send me the "how to" of the Beyonce pony.

Angel - thanks yes I agree with you I should try more professional classy hairdos right off - though I need them to sleek looking - thanks for your comments - I dont really mind trying the "traditionally girly" hairstyles but will take a step at a time :)

MemSahib
December 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
It might be helpful to also put up pictures of glamorous long-haired models/celebrities at your booth if you are allowed to do that. You can copy Beyonce's style and have it at your mirror that day. Put up these pictures you posted for us! You might become known as the Long Hair Stylist at your salon.

karenpetal
December 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hey MemSahib that was a good suggestion - I could try that - that way I can start building a collection of stylish long hair styles

Alana2000
December 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
A good thing to remember is to not forget to do your make up very well too, it will only add to the whole beauty package that is unique to you. I hope you have fun at the salon.

karenpetal
December 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hey Alana - thanks _ i have started a little makeup actually just a little foundation ! I have never done too much makeup before and not too comfortable doing it - though i am trying to learn to do make up wiht out looking too girly .. Any make up tips are welcome

Alana2000
December 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
A tinted moisturizer is a nice choice and can contain sunscreen and its very easy on the colour so its not intimidating to use, its what I usually use as I don't like anything thick or heavy on my skin.

heidi w.
December 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
ALL the hair design shows I've ever been to, in selling product, have GIGANTIC, and I mean, GIGANTIC posters of gorgeous women with long, flowing, billowing, tresses! YET all the attendees have short, colored, some version of permed crappy, dull, looking hair!

(I've been to design shows in Chicago and San Francisco.)

It is NOT true that long hair isn't stylish and can't be a catch for clientele. There's nothing that sells better than a healthy, gorgeous mane of relatively thick hair, that's glossy (big ticket sell right there), and well maintained. Every woman wants shiny, glossy healthy hair that feels soft and moves well.

Since this is your "second job" I definitely would not cut your hair into something kitschy. I do not know your career goals, so this could be another reason to not 'go there'.

I would recommend learning a variety of updos. The clientele for doing wedding hair, prom hair, special event hair can be quite lucrative!!!! I would definitely learn how to do a french twist, and you can also insert flowers (real or fake), sparkly combs along one side. You can vary the french twist by allowing a poof of curl to reside atop the sleek french twist, and decorate! Having very cool hair sticks and bringing those products in as adjunct items to sell (which by the way, the long hair salons all do!) can be a boost to revenue. You could also offer safe hair combs for sale, horn, clean plastics, various teeth width. There's the simple Bee's Butt Bun which can be worn sticking straight out the back of the head (sleek, mod look), or can be drawn down. There's twisting length so it begins to coil up on itself, and if long enough, draw it back up, and pin. Longer length can allow some coiffed hair to be in a nice curve below a french twist. Learning to use hair nets, or hair forms to build hair high above the head is useful. They need to know about braiding. There's a whole world of braiding out there: crown braids, french braids (you can do this on yourself! and it's a gorgeous look). Any time you can mix texture, such as smooth hair and braided hair, this is a beautiful look and always alluring. Styles that are asymmetrical, for example, today I did my braided bun that's reminiscent of a figure 8, but isn't a figure 8 actually, I tilted it on a 45 degree angle and stuck in hair sticks on either end, looking reminescent of an Asian (Geisha) look (sticks ends never show--there's always a finished look to all sticks). It's interesting. Braid with ribbons woven in! There's so much possibility. You simply modeling these ideas, above and beyond the polish of Beyonce, will go far to attract clientele because they WILL COMMENT! And the boss will overhear.

I recommend you look further here at LHC for updo ideas, and practice them and create your own stable of updos (one updo can usually be varied in 3 different ways). Another excellent site is Long Hair Loom, run by Fox (who is a member here as well), and they have a free site and adjunct to their offerings known as the STYLING SECTION wherein folks offer pictures and how-to instructions on updos.

All the salon magazines (I used to get them, both the one for Latino-owned salons and the major one in the US for mainstream salons....) always have something focused on long hair (yes, usually extensions), so there's definitely a business to be made for long haired folks. IF you could teach clients how to do their own split end trim, or perform this task for them, or teach hair washers how to properly wash long hair so it doesn't tangle bitterly, then you have a client for life!

This salon manager stating that hair has to be cut, died, and fried is absolutely incorrect and absolutely short-sighted in the plethora of clientele she could have. There's a huge business alone in children's hair (or even teen hair -- yes, boys/men too!), and little girl's hair is long -- and many, many Moms and Dads would LOVE a lesson in how to care for such silky, fine hair and stop the crying sessions.

When I went to the Chicago hair show, I wore my hair in a gorgeous french twist with some hanging below, curved under and tucked back into the french twist, very sleek....decorated with faux flowers (large and small yellow roses, champagne little roses, and purple pansies with leaf elements)....I had quite a few people comment in passing. When I later took my hair down, those who were doing the long hair stage presentations were clearly looking at my hair imagining the possibilities.

CHECK OUT AQUAGE. This product line specializes in long hair. All their designs are around long hair. They use nets, moulds, and their products.

CHECK OUT MARTIN PARSONS. He only does long hair, from BSL on down! His books are GORGEOUS.
http://hairshow.us/xcart/product.php?productid=65&cat=14&page=1
I have this book. One word: stunning!

I would encourage you to be a role model to helping the business grow by thinking beyond 12 inches.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Then those with long hair, you could expand the clientele by informing folks about henna (which I'm not really big on), but it's a good alternative for many. The art of henna is just that: an art.

Doing it well, properly....people will come in, hard and fast. Again, Long Hair Loom -- many folks there henna. We have quite a few who henna here, as well.

heidi w.

MemSahib
December 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
You might also keep a camera nearby and ask permission from your customers to take good, close pictures of successful styles you create so that other clients can see your "stuff". Good luck in everything!

karenpetal
December 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
wow Heidi - thank you so much for the beautiful post - it is really helpful and encouraging and I totally agree with you

thank you memsahib

heidi w.
December 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
The idea of hair is that it is a frame for the face. This is the main premise. Upswept hairdos that help to accentuate the line of the jaw and cheekbones in an upward curve is always pretty. Coupled with side parts where hair is swept across the forehead, or even the brow, curving back up over the tip of an ear, is also very pretty.

Think of zig-zag hair parts too!

I would recommend simple makeup. The foundation to smooth the skin, then set with a sheer dusting of fine powder. Buy good brushes. It matters. Use sponges to evenly lay down foundation. You can use coverup sticks under the foundation around eyes, in shadows of cheeks and chin, to lift and lighten...then apply the foundation.

Then dust with a fine powder, tapping the edge of the brush to eliminate excess powder so a blop won't set on your face.

Work in strong light, no shadows. (You may need to set up another light). Mostly don't work in your own shadow.

Then a light, sheer lipstick or gloss. You can set the lipstick easily for the day, again, by tapping some powder on to kleenex or TP and bite down, curling the lips under. Then dust off excess. This produces a matte finish on the lipstick, and for day, I think looks better. Too much shine becomes problematic to maintain throughout the day, although there are better sticks that do this now.

Then, I personally love just working with mascara to highlight eye shape and color. First brush the eyelashes to separate a bit (especially from sleeping at night), then wipe the mascara brush of excessive glops, revealing the spirals of the brush. And apply. I tend to not do the entire under-the-eye lashes as this can smear, depending on the brand you're using. I do the corners, elongating those lashes. The thing, though, is I LOVE COLORED MASCARA. I have blue, green, brown and black. I will often apply black, as my lashes are black, then do JUST THE TIPS with green or blue. It's so fun!

Also, I recommend ensuring your brows have shape. IF you don't know how to shape your brows, go to an expert and get a lesson. Everyone has a natural line to follow. This goes far to looking more polished. I have a lot of growth between my brows and maintain this zonage vigorously.

That is likely all you need. This keeps the makeup budget down: foundation, powder, lipstick (a selection of appropriate colors for your skin tone and mouth shape/size), and mascara, and spend some money to buy a good brush for powder. (I do recommend lipstick liner that matches your shade. It helps prevent bleeding. None of this dark outline is needed.)

Finish all with a beautiful updo with pretty adornments, and a nice blouse that is complimentary to your skin tone with interesting collars, or decorative elements, or patterns, or color. Go for something fitted, yet still able to move your arms and the fabric flexes; and be sure to get a good bra that fits well. One good bra is all you need!

This all then swirls to offset your face as the focal point, a frame all around all the perimeter of your face. This can't fail but to look polished.

Slacks and nice shoes that are polished....you're good to go. (I recommend a broad heel that's not overly high and avoid overly pinched toes since salon work is on your feet the whole time, and this industry has its fair share of neuropathy.)

With a little bit of practice, you will get this all down and can be ready within about 40 minutes, for work.

heidi w.

angelthadiva
December 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Please keep in mind that not everyone is open minded about alternative lifestyles, so you may want to ask gentle questions about what would be acceptable attire. :flower:

Chromis
December 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Please keep in mind that not everyone is open minded about alternative lifestyles, so you may want to ask gentle questions about what would be acceptable attire. :flower:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how on earth is wearing a nice blouse and slacks "alternative"? :ponder:

angelthadiva
December 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but how on earth is wearing a nice blouse and slacks "alternative"? :ponder:

Hey Thanks for your suggestions

<snip> Angel - thanks yes I agree with you I should try more professional classy hairdos right off - though I need them to sleek looking - thanks for your comments - I dont really mind trying the "traditionally girly" hairstyles but will take a step at a time :) Bold mine.

Hey Alana - thanks _ i have started a little makeup actually just a little foundation ! I have never done too much makeup before and not too comfortable doing it - though i am trying to learn to do make up wiht out looking too girly .. Any make up tips are welcome Again, bold mine.

I agree, Blouse and slacks are not alternative for a woman. However, peacock twists, flowers in the hair, sparkly embellishments, and makeup have been suggestions throughout the thread...Which in this case may not be an acceptable attire/look...That is why I suggested that he find out what would be acceptable work wear.

As much as we'd like to think society is loving and accepting of everyone they are not...I don't want to see OP lose his job; but don't want him to feel like he can not be himself...Hopefully he will be able to find a happy medium.

Anje
December 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
However, the OP is working in a salon, where "acceptable attire" tends to include blue hair.

Marie99
December 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I did that Beyonce ponytail all summer. Girls were jealous because I could do it. Since I have wavy hair, it was very easy for me to traain my hair to do that. I just re-twirled it a few times a day and it just did that.

karenpetal
December 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks again folks - I really feel comfortable with you guys .... I guess to some extent Angel is right .. not everyone is as open minded as people on this forum and I have been burnt a couple of times ...

Laila23
December 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I like all of the recommendations and I think you will do a great job karenpetal ! :)

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ooooh pretty :D:D:D