PDA

View Full Version : Southern US Swap Box Journal

OhioLisa
March 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
In the interest of organization (and organizers' sanity) we are splitting the swap box journal into each box / region. Below is the list of ALL boxes and their organizers, so make sure you contact the right one if you are interested in participating. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE INDICATING YOUR DESIRE TO PARTICIPATE!!

What is the swap box?
The swap box is simply a means for participants to "recycle" unused or unwanted hair accessories by passing them on to others.

Who are the organizers?

Eastern US: OhioLisa
Southern US: OhioLisa
Western US (including Alaska and Hawaii): PatGear
Canada: Garnett
Europe: Igor
Australia / New Zealand: Ali

Who can participate?
Participants must meet 3 criteria to be able to participate (these rules apply only to those who want to be added from this day forward):

Membership on LHC of at least 6 months
250 post minimum
Trader rating of at least 5
~~Sorry if you think these guidelines are too strict. You can thank those who have "lost" the boxes previously.~~

How exactly does the box work?
The proper procedure for the swap box is:

Receive the box
Select items you want from the box
Replace the items you took with items of SIMILAR QUALITY
Post in the thread about the items you took and added
PM your box organizer for the next name on the list
PM the next person to obtain their address
Send the box to its next destination!
PM your organizer if you would like to receive the box again

What can I put in the box?
Any gift quality hair accessories can go into the box. This can include something you no longer use or something you have made specifically for the swap box. Do keep in mind that the box is not a dumping ground for unused hair items. (No plastic or metal clips that come 20 to a pack, for instance.) If you would not appreciate getting the same item as a gift, do NOT add it to the box.

What cannot go into the box?
Although extra goodies may seem like a nice idea, they really only add bulk and weight to the boxes. Please do not include coffees, teas, trinkets, or makeup in the boxes. Please also do not put bottles of product or oils in the boxes. The boxes are meant for accessories only.

What can I take from the box?
You can take any item from the box that you are able to replace with a similar quality item. If you are going to take a high end item (a ficcare or nice hair fork, for instance) you must be able to replace it with an equally high end item. 20 plastic claw clips do not equal a ficcare, yall.

How long do I keep the box?
We are imposing a 2 week turnaround time on the box. If your schedule / obligations will not allow you to get the box, take away and add what you wish, and send it to the next person within 2 weeks, then do not take the box! Squatting ruins the fun for everyone. (Of course, if you finish with the box before then, by all means, send it on its way! )

Any additional points to remember?
Please keep in mind that we need to be kept updated on this thread. We need to know when you get the box, what was taken, what was added, and when you will be sending to the next person. I will be keeping the first post of this thread updated with the box's status so that participants can know when to anticipate their turn. This means that I can only keep others updated if I am kept updated. Do not let other members sit and wonder what is going on with the box. Be courteous to your fellow participants by keeping us informed. Thank you.

As always, when in doubt or in question, please PM your box organizer.

Current Southern US Swap Box List
The current list of participants (in the order of receipt):

pgw
OhioLisa - I have requested to get the box so that I can go through it and either add items I have in order to combine the Eastern and Southern boxes, or to divide the items equally to make 2 boxes (since the Eastern one went "missing".)
Meezer
coppercurls
Doctorblue
LaMusette
frizzinator
lil_irish_angel

~If you feel that your name should be on this list, but it is not, please PM me.

LaMusette
March 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much for taking this entirely to a new safe level, Ohio Lisa! It is a really delightful enterprise, and I am dismayed that it doesn't run better left on its own. :-/
I am SO looking forward to getting my turn with a "new" box, and am already tucking away surprises. I have two Flexi-8's that are too large, for instance.
Thanks again.
Nan in Louisiana

coppercurls
June 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Just wondering...Are the Eastern & Southern box combined now? Curiosity killed the cat.

OhioLisa
June 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Nope. Both boxes are MIA. Actually, not missing... stolen.

manderly
June 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Nope. Both boxes are MIA. Actually, not missing... stolen.

WTF!!!!

We need to know who did it so we may verbally bash him/her here NOW.

OhioLisa
June 26th, 2008, 01:53 AM
WTF!!!!

We need to know who did it so we may verbally bash him/her here NOW.

Ahh, tempting as that is, we should focus more on deciding what to do from this point.

(And yeah, I am WAY tempted. You have no idea the ordeal this has been with these chicks. GRRRR!)

lil_irish_angel
June 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well hopefully we can learn and move on from this.

Patrycja
June 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I can't wait for everything to get rolling again :)

coppercurls
June 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Some people....:taz:
I know this probably more a question for a moderator but, when something like this happens, is that "member" then banned from the community? If not they should be.

Ohiolisa, bless your heart for dealing with this. I really don't have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening. The guide lines we have in place are pretty good. We just rely on people to do the right thing. Which thanfully most people do.

Should we try to start over? I don't think we should let a couple (insert bad name of choice here) ruin it for the rest of us!

What does everyone else think?

mommy2one05
June 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have never participated in a swap box since I have not been a member for 6 months.

But I want to say that it is awful for a member to choose to be "friends" with people and participate in a friendly game and then to stoop that low.

I hope whoever did this will see this thread and feel bad and come clean.
Good luck!

Patrycja
July 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
any word on when this is going to get going again? I'm running out of room for my toys :D

:flower:

OhioLisa
July 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Here is the issue. The only items that I have at this point are those that have been generously donated by members here. However, the sad truth is, there really isn't enough to make an entirely new box. So, unfortunately, we are in a bit of a holding pattern at this point. Suggestions are welcomed.

(Sorry to take so long to respond to this. I have been waiting on a new modem, so my access has been limited. All is well now.)

Patrycja
July 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I can easily send my items if you want to.Just let me know :)

Thanks for the update!

coppercurls
July 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I can easily send my items if you want to.Just let me know :)

Thanks for the update!

I got some stuff I can send too.;)

LaMusette
July 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'll be glad to send some goodies and help us get going. This IS such a fun activity, I hate to see it be allowed to succumb to . . . whatever makes folks disappoint their friends.

enitsirk
July 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
A suggestion, of sorts: you might want to require that participants give a good phone number. If something in the community guidelines prevents this from being an option (I don't feel like going through them atm ;)) then you'd have to figure something else out, but it could help. Of course you'd have to do a confirmation call before you put the member on the list.

That way, at least if the box went missing you could call the person who had it and at least give them a piece of your mind! Also, requiring tracking or certified mail could be good because it could help prevent 'it was lost in the mail!' when that's not the case at all.

Eboshi
July 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The administrators and moderators of TLHC have come to the conclusion that TLHC can no longer be a vehicle for supporting the Swap boxes. This is based on the development of numerous ongoing issues relating to them.

We regret the disappointment and inconvenience that this may cause some members. Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

This thread is closed.