PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to get to Waist Length?

Miyani
December 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm kinda new to growing my hair longer and my hair is slightly bsl lol.I don't have any conditioners, just water, EVOO, and Aloe vera gel. How long did it take you to grow your hair WL and what products/methods did you use?

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2008, 12:05 PM
From BSL to waist, it took me about 3 years! That was before LHC and I was bad to my hair. I am surprised it is still talking to me.

CindyLea

annys
December 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
About 3 years.

I washed every couple of days and conditioned when I washed.

It was before I was on LHC, so I know a lot more now about what my hair needs and likes.

Heidi_234
December 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
This is NOT encouraging you guys :lol: :grin:
I'm on the BSL to waist trip too. Average growth rate is an inch in 2 months, and if there say 8 inches between BSl and waist (wow that's alot!), so a year and few months of regular to slow growth would get you there. The good news is and average is not what really goes on, sometimes hair grows much much faster.
If you avoid the barbershop and treat your hair well, then it could get you to waist much faster than 3 years. :flower:

Phalaenopsis
December 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
That's strange, 'cause from BSL to waist is 3 inches on me. So it would take me about 8 months.

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
This is NOT encouraging you guys :lol: :grin:
I'm on the BSL to waist trip too. Average growth rate is an inch in 2 months, and if there say 8 inches between BSl and waist (wow that's alot!), so a year and few months of regular to slow growth would get you there. The good news is and average is not what really goes on, sometimes hair grows much much faster.
If you avoid the barbershop and treat your hair well, then it could get you to waist much faster than 3 years. :flower:

Yah, I know not very encouraging. But I'm almost 6 foot tall. So, I have a long body. I guess it all depends on your body, too.

I had a major stall and stress, and just bad habits in there too. Monistat, got me over the hump and back to growing again. At least in my opinion.

CindyLea

MandaMom2Three
December 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I went from bald (lost all hair to a reaction to chemical dye) to waist in approx 3 years. I didn't take care of my hair at all. Of course now that I'm starting with BSL and taking care of my hair it seems to be taking forever :rolleyes:

Sherri
December 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
It took me about 3 years too. I think I may have been alittle above bsl though.

Heidi_234
December 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
That's strange, 'cause from BSL to waist is 3 inches on me. So it would take me about 8 months.
Indeed weird. Are you a midget? [jk]
Maybe we are measuring different things. I have just measured again, this time on the front. Waist is on the same line as the bellybutton, and BSL, which is bra strap is right under the chest. It came out 6 inches.

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I am estimating it will have taken me 4 years from pixie(cut to this in Dec 05) to waist. I am BSL at the moment and needing another 5" so that is roughly 10 months for me depending on whether my hair grows at the average 1/2" a month.

Elichan
December 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
from nape to waist for me 2 years and half, I think my hair grows so fast :) but now, when it's longer, it seems to grow slower... don't know why...

Angellen
December 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think it took me around 6 months to get from BSL to waist. I had a faster growth rate (~0.75"/mo) so it took less time. :)

memphisluvr
December 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I went from jawline to waist in just over 3 years. My last professional cut was in October 2005, I trimmed for the first time in Feb. 2008, and hit waist round about November 2008.

Laila23
December 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think it will be about 6 months. I have 2 inches to go and grow an inch a month so hopefully just a few months away........ :) good luck!

Have you seen "snowys moisture treatment" that is very good

also I like coconut oil. some folks do like evoo also.

alot of people avoid using brushes and delicately detangling with a wide toothed comb to prevent breaking

Taking sometime to look at the ends of your hair to "search and destroy" any split ends (called S&D on the boards here) is good too so you can get rid of any damage and prevent having trims (though you can trim if you like, im sure).

wearing hair up majority of the time to prevent damage and wearing it braided or up to bed is good too for the same reasons.

I'm sure you will learn many more from everyone else, again good luck ! :)

goodenough
December 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I went from bsl to waist in about nine months with no trims. It's about 4 inches on me, but I'm counting the bottom of my strap in the back to my waist. My strap is a little lower in the back. Everybody's body is different--for me, apl to bsl is longer than bsl to waist.

darkwaves
December 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
BSL is a really arbitrary, almost imaginary, measurement.

Some women wear their bra backs high, some wear them low.

Those who wear them lower (as the fitters in bra boutiques recommend) will take less time to get to waist than those who are delighted to claim bsl at, say, 23".

For what it's with, with trims it took me about a year to grow from shoulder length to high mid-back (arm-pit) length. It took another year from there to lower mid-back (bsl), and another year to waist. (That's stretched - curly, my hair is still above waist.)

And for me, the distance between what I consider bsl and waist is four inches.

Carolyn
December 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
It took me about 7 years with lots of trims to get rid of layers to go from shoulders to waist length. I grow about half inch a month. It was about 2 years more than I expected but it was well worth the wait.

saoriiroas
December 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
From a very short pixi cut (2 inches all around) to waist took me 5 years, but I got layers in 2006 and I have been evening them out for the past few years. Once I evened out my ends it took a year to go from BSL to waist.

squiggyflop
December 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
it took me 6 months to get from shoulder to waist the first time.. but i trimmed back to bsl because of scraggly ends.. at 15 months i was at waist with blunt ends.. i had trimmed about 7 inches total during that time.. view pics here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14719)

and no im not really short.. im 5'6"

eta products and methods.. um i switched to a wooden bristle brush and took hair vitamins

EvaSimone
December 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I started at about BSL and I made it to waist within 12 months... I think the people who took three years probably trimmed, had breakage etc. or they have very slow growth rates. Most people can make it from BSL to waist within 12-18 months.

I didn't trim at all and I was just at waist within 12 months albeit my ends looked awful and they got a one inch trim once I hit waist.

I don't do anything too special. Shampoo and conditioner every other day, no cones, light protein conditioners, some EVOO when I feel like it and the occasional deep treatment.

Debra83
December 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM
The first time to waist from shoulder took me 9 months. 2nd time, the same. First time, I was pregnant, 2nd time I was nursing. Not sure how long now it will take but from Avatar to Signature is 2 1/2 months.

Periwinkle
December 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
Three years sounds like a long time to me. Top of BSL for me was 26", a month or two after joining LHC. Now my hair is waist when wet and nearing it when dry (my profile says 28" but I haven't measured in a few months and I know my hair is longer).

marajade
December 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
I started with below should length hair but not quite bra stap last december, this month it is 29.75 which for me 30 is basically waist length. So I guess I am there, so it took a year. I attribute it to vitamins/good nutrition and micozonale treatments. I have not done the micozonale treatments in a while, but they do help.

Phalaenopsis
December 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM

Indeed weird. Are you a midget? [jk]
Maybe we are measuring different things. I have just measured again, this time on the front. Waist is on the same line as the bellybutton, and BSL, which is bra strap is right under the chest. It came out 6 inches.

Haha :D I'm not tall, 5 feet 2, so maybe that's the difference ;) But I don't have a long upperbody when I compare it to other people.

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Haha :D I'm not tall, 5 feet 2, so maybe that's the difference ;) But I don't have a long upperbody when I compare it to other people.
I'm 5 feet 4 (if I read the converter right) :shrug:

rhysiana
December 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
I went from chin length to waist in about 3 years. The part from BSL to waist took maybe a year, but that's because I did a fairly major cut once the layers hit the BSL-ish point so I could have a blunt cut again. My hair doesn't stay in updos if I have long-length layers. If you're fine having a V or U hem, don't have layers, and don't otherwise need a lot of trimming along the way, you should be able to get there faster.

UP Lisa
December 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
About 5 years from Pixie to waist, with trims.

newport
December 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
From a short over the ear hair cut, it took 4 1/2 years to get my hair to my waist.

venividibxtchy
December 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
3 years seems preposterous. My hair grows fast, and I am a shorter person, but still.

My hair was a few inches off my shoulders in March, around 21" with layers:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/venividibitchy/HairToStart.jpg

Now, it's 28-29" at the longest point. Overall, it's roughly waist now, albeit with a fair amount of layers still growing out. Ignore the massive, baggy shirt, please. Just trying to stay warm!
From top to bottom, the lines I made were:
1. Where I started.
2. APL.
3. BSL.
4. Waist.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/venividibitchy/HairNow.jpg

jojo
December 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
heck wish my hair grew that quick, I was 21" too in March and am only 25" now! thats excellent growth!

Cantabile
December 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Growing from below-shoulder length to waist took me about a year. I trim just once a year, so I suppose fast-growth and infrequent trimming got me to waist pretty quickly. I've been using shampoo bars, followed by an ACV rinse. Rarely did I condition. I occasionally oiled the ends, but that was entirely optional.

Tangles
January 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
BSL is a really arbitrary, almost imaginary, measurement.

:rockerdud

Finally someone else feels the same way I do!
BSL should be abolished. I am all for the use of MBL (midback; halfway between APL and waist).

Curlsgirl
January 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Three years is not really preposterous when you consider all the variables like: When you count it to be BSL, how often you trim, how fast your hair grows, how long your back waist length is etc. I am still not at waist and I started at the top of shoulder length. BUT I trimmed a lot to get the layers evened up and damage cut off and I have a long back waist length. I wear my bra rather high also so I think for me BSL was earlier and so it is longer until I hit waist. It really is so different for everyone.

NebraskaChick84
January 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm 5'7" with a short torso (my inseam is 34") I went from my short cut of just above shoulders to waist in about 1.5-2y. :)

swiftbn
January 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
for me, it took believe it or not, 10 years to reach waist length, which really was just below to about hip length. ive recently cut it to my shoulder blades 2 years ago, and have since grown it back to around just above the waist again.

backtolonghair
January 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Growing from below-shoulder length to waist took me about a year. I trim just once a year, so I suppose fast-growth and infrequent trimming got me to waist pretty quickly. I've been using shampoo bars, followed by an ACV rinse. Rarely did I condition. I occasionally oiled the ends, but that was entirely optional.

So you were able to go from just below shoulder length to waist in a year?! That's awesome!:) I hope I can do that! :D

EmpressRi
January 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM
A few years, and mind you I was flat ironing it to death. I cut off damaged ends last August and I think I'll be back to waist length by this summer, or fall at the least. Mind you, I was tailbone length I think? Now it's past my bra strap but not waist just yet.

But I condition, condition, condition and keep my hair moisturized. I also like to oil my scalp and hair.

Starr
January 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
There are so many variables when it comes to growing out your hair. . . the straight answer is about 9 months the first time and 6 months the second time.

But. . . being damage free took much longer.

I cut my tbl hair May of 2003 to bsl, grew it out to waist in about 7 months, abused my hair for a year, suffered major damage from bleach and heat resulting it to break up to apl ( trimmed at apl for 5 months), took another 3 months to grow to bsl, 9 more months back to waist, a cut back to bsl, then no trims and actively growing it for another year (in which time I found LHC)and made it to waist then tbl my first year here, cut of 8 inches of growth this past year (4 inches each time)- finally getting rid of the bleach damage and I'm still firmly at tailbone.

So from bsl to tailbone without damage it took me 5 years and some change. Now barring any setbacks with my current growth rate and short torso I should *hopefully* be at classic by this time next year- but I won't count my chicken before they hatch.

LadyEliza
January 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure what length my hair is now in all those letter terms you use - but it's 21 inches.

I went from a pixie cut to 21 inches in 14 months.

My hair grows at a steady rate of 1/2" month, my waist is 30 inches from my hair line, so I have 9 inches to go. That should mean that it needs 18 months, right?

But I hope not. I never go near a hairdresser, I wear it up almost all the time (which is easy, this is Australia and it's HOT) and I'm doing all the right things. So, fingers crossed :)

shwankie
January 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I am also not a huge fan of the BSL measurement, because it means such different things. I am short--5'0"--so for me BSL is about 22 inches to the bottom of my sports bra (which sit low automatically). My waist is only about another 4 inches from there, because I am high-waisted. Since my hair grows about ~1/month, it will take me less than 6 months to get from BSL to waist (which is where I am headed). This just isn't going to be true for a person who is, say 5'11" and long waisted.

I grow about an inch a month. I do dust about twice a year, and occasionally I'll grow a bit less in a month, so I would say about 10.5"/year. The nape of my neck to my waist is only about 13", so it'd take me just over a year to grow from nap to waist.