PDA

View Full Version : LHC Donations

alys
March 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've just though of this, as I look thru all these new segments that keep appearing. This place is a haven for so many people, not just for hair but lots of other things too.

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of an LCH Donation Day? Like an official LCH only holiday? A day of the year where all of us who can afford to do so make a donation to the site? Even just a buck or two??

I like the idea of giving back to a place that I really enjoy coming to. I dont know aside from advertisments how this site makes money, but I want to give them some of mine just in case.

Any thoughts?

moonchaser
March 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
In the top right corner there is a "Make a Donation" button. Anyone can donate at any time.

Euphony
March 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have donated, but perhaps a 'day' for it would be great. That way more people would be aware...

alys
March 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I saw the Donation link. I thought maybe a publicized DAY would help get the word out, so that people would remember it easier.

moonchaser
March 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I saw the Donation link. I thought maybe a publicized DAY would help get the word out, so that people would remember it easier.

I think it is a great idea! Pick a day and start promoting it! Someone has to start the bandwagon before everyone can jump on. :D

Bonny
March 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wonderful idea! I keep seeing the donation button and saying to myself, "I'll have to do that sometime soon" but you know how things go... :shrug:

If there was an actual day for it, I would have no excuse to procrastinate.

happylynngilmer
March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yea, if there was actually a day to do it, I think I would actually get around to doing it LOL

WritingPrincess
March 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm the same way, keep procrastinating. Tell me what day it is!

Miss Murphy
March 26th, 2008, 02:48 AM
What a great idea! Count me in!

alys, why don't you pick a date, and I for one will carry a reminder in my siggy. Like that, we can spread the word and then all flood Stephanie with our donations :D

Stagecoach
March 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, what a great idea! Or we could make it four days a year, the first day of each season???

Euphony
March 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Wow, what a great idea! Or we could make it four days a year, the first day of each season???
Great idea, I like that!

What a great idea! Count me in!

alys, why don't you pick a date, and I for one will carry a reminder in my siggy. Like that, we can spread the word and then all flood Stephanie with our donations :D
Ooooo I'll do the same!

kimki
March 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'll put it in my siggy too. :)

Miss Murphy
March 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I think 4 times a year might be too often. Maybe twice a year? The next date should be in the near future, but not too soon (so we can get everybody who wants to donate informed).

I was thinking maybe summer and winter equinox - but that would be three months from now, and the winter date would only be four days before christmas (and I don't think too many people can afford to give so shortly before christmas).

Maybe the first sunday in May, or something like that?

Stagecoach
March 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
You have a point Miss Murphy.

Humm... does anyone know the day LHC was first started? Maybe that would be a good date?

Miss Murphy
March 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I thought about that too, Stagecoach! Or Stephanie's birthday. I also looked if there's an "International hair day" or something, but no :-(

khyricat
March 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I can't afford to "donate" but I do have an idea to raise funds for the site.. I know a number of charitable groups that run cafepress stores to raise funds. with a single design on lots of items, they don't charge to have the store (unlike mine which has a lot of designs). If we had an image created for LHC (text/picture/combination), I would be more than happy to help set something up.. and a percentage of the purchase price of items (or a flat rate depending on how it is set up) would go to Stephanie for this cause. I imagine with all these get togethers, people would be interested in something to wear to them if not just in general...

Amie

WritingPrincess
March 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Stagecoach, I LOVE your idea about Stephanie's birthday. That would be great. I'll put in my siggy whenever we agree.

Xanthippe
March 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I can't afford to "donate" but I do have an idea to raise funds for the site.. I know a number of charitable groups that run cafepress stores to raise funds. with a single design on lots of items, they don't charge to have the store (unlike mine which has a lot of designs). If we had an image created for LHC (text/picture/combination), I would be more than happy to help set something up.. and a percentage of the purchase price of items (or a flat rate depending on how it is set up) would go to Stephanie for this cause. I imagine with all these get togethers, people would be interested in something to wear to them if not just in general...

Amie

This cafepress store (http://www.cafepress.com/longhair) was linked from the old LHC page. I don't know details about it though, I just have the link.

WritingPrincess
March 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oops, it wasn't Stagecoach's idea, it was Miss Murphy's. Anyway, I looked up Steph's birthday, and it's February 16. Which means we'd have to wait almost a whole year. On the upside, that would mean that we could get the word out to more people. Do we want to surprise her? Because if the date is in a lot of signatures, then she's going to see it sooner or later. We could say something like, "Ask me about the yearly LHC donation day."

Euphony
March 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Oops, it wasn't Stagecoach's idea, it was Miss Murphy's. Anyway, I looked up Steph's birthday, and it's February 16. Which means we'd have to wait almost a whole year. On the upside, that would mean that we could get the word out to more people. Do we want to surprise her? Because if the date is in a lot of signatures, then she's going to see it sooner or later. We could say something like, "Ask me about the yearly LHC donation day."
I really don't see how we could keep it a secret - if nothing else we can't lock her out of this thread :D

You know summer solstice and Stephanie's birthday would be wonderful twice a year times.

Miss Murphy
March 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I really don't see how we could keep it a secret - if nothing else we can't lock her out of this thread :D

You know summer solstice and Stephanie's birthday would be wonderful twice a year times.

How about autumn equinox and Steph's birthday? That would mean
Sept-22
Feb-16

So we'd still have plenty of time left to advertise, and it would be more spread than if we did Feb and June.

zule
March 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I just give when I remember it. Really, I simply forget. I give $20 about three times a year. I can afford it since I'm working. If someone else can give $5 a year, that's great. Just think if everyone--posters and lurkers--gave one or two dollars a year, how much money it would raise! There are so many people on this board that the amount would pay a lot of the bill.

We owe much more than money to Stephanie, but money's the only way I can think of to show it.

I think your idea is a very good one.

Miss Murphy
March 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I just thought of something else: we could make it Steph's birthday and 6 months after that. Then we'd have 2 dates a year, evenly spaced.

That would make
Feb-16 and
Aug-16

How's that sound? And Zule, I second your sentiments exactly. Least we can do is give a bit.

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Sounds great to me.

Once it's all decided for sure, I'll put them into my siggy... that way we can spread the word!

Miss Murphy
March 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Sounds great to me.

Once it's all decided for sure, I'll put them into my siggy... that way we can spread the word!

But how should it be decided?
Is you and me being for it enough? Should we go all the way and start a poll? Just go ahead and do it? Wait for some other answers? Just skip the whole thing and head for the cheese? :cheese:

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Do you want to PM Alys and see what she thinks? After all, she did start this thread!

Then, maybe a poll would be in order, simply to see how interested people would be in have a couple "LHC Day's". And, if enough peole seem interested, we can put it in our siggys.

Miss Murphy
March 29th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Stagecoach, that's a great idea. I did just that. She started the thread, but never posted in it again, so I'll see if she answers me or replies here :)

Mi-chan
March 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
You see, not everbody CAN donate. Look at me, I don't have a bankaccount and all... so I couldn't donate. I do want to, but I couldn't.

WritingPrincess
March 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I like the birthday and half birthday idea. And I second (third?) the poll idea.

zule
March 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Mi-Chan, you can't donate NOW. You might be able to donate in the future, probably, so keep it in mind. It's not a "must" do. It's a "good" do, to help out. Each member is very important to the board.

If you donate your time and energy to making good posts and helping people in this community out, you're doing what you can right now to donate. You're donating your work. Down the road, you might be able to also donate a few dollars.

Remember--it's a donation, not a fee.

WritingPrincess
March 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm itching to get this agreed on. Has anybody made a poll yet, or could I?
Mi-Chan, I wanted to say the same thing, but zule beat me to it. :)

Stagecoach
March 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think we're kinda waiting to hear back from the lady who first started this thread....

WritingPrincess
March 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Okay Stagecoach. I'll wait with you.

Miss Murphy
March 31st, 2008, 01:48 AM
Yes, we are still waiting. I sent her a PM I think on friday, but I don't think she's been online yet.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure she would consider it rude if we went along without her expressed consent. After all, we wouldn't make a decision alone, but rather put up a poll.

So maybe we can use the meantime to agree what's going to be in the poll.

-) once a year, on Steph's birthday
-) twice a year, once on Steph's birthday, once 6 months after that
-) we don't need a specific date to give
-) who cares as long as there's cheese

Can you think of any other options we should put up? Maybe
-) something else, I'll tell you below

WritingPrincess
March 31st, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think you've pretty much covered all the options. You might want to add one option.
-) We should have an "official" donation day.
Let me know when the poll is posted.

Euphony
March 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM
This all sounds marvelous! And I totally agree - we must express this is donation not a fee.

We should have a poll to see if we should have a poll - as long as there's cheese :cheese:

Miss Murphy
April 1st, 2008, 01:57 AM
It's up! I hope I did everything right, this is my first poll ever!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2173