PDA

View Full Version : Long hair possible without henna/indigo?

Laila23
December 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Everyone. I hope this isn't inappropriate. And I hope it's okay where I've placed it because I'm hoping to attract not only henna heads but also non-henna heads for their advice , etc.

I've been looking at everyone's pictures of their hair, both short and long and the shine and strength that I see is really amazing.

Since I've been here, I've learned a lot and my hair has changed quite a bit (thank you very much!). However, I have a question, is it possible to have long hair without henna and/or indigo? My goal is long, moisturized, healthy hair.

I understand that these (mostly the henna though) deposit some of itself into the hair shaft and fortify it against damage, etc.

So please feel free to offer your ideas/experience on this. I'm still on the fence about the henna/indigo. I want the strength that it gives but I'm nervous about using it as I've never used it before and I also don't want any color change.

I appreciate all of your time and ideas and advice. And yes, I've spent some time reading over the henna section and the henna articles. No doubt, I will probably re-read them several times before I finally decide one or the other. But nice to hear some real life experiences. Especially since a friend of mine said that the henna made her hair really dry :(

Thanks!

Elphie
December 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'm sure it's certainly possible; I spent 30 years of my life with waist-length hair without it.

akurah
December 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Why would henna be necessary for long hair? Some of the people around here with the longest hair do not use henna at all.

Teazel
December 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well, yeah. I don't use either. :D

Pegasus Marsters
December 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Loads of our members don't use henna. Some of them even prefer chemical dyes and still have long hair.

Nat242
December 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
It's not necessary. Sure, it's helpful, especially if your hair is a bit fragile or damaged and you're trying to avoid trimming, but you can have beautiful, long, healthy, shiny hair without henna.

OhioLisa
December 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Another non-henna user here, with fine, somewhat fragile hair. I think the most important thing is to be gentle with your hair. Gentle products, gentle handling, hair-friendly accessories, etc. Henna is definitely not necessary.

SimplyLonghair
December 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Speaking as a henna head, I know that I love the strength that it gives my hair. But you can grow long hair without henna or indigo.

If you find that you do want something to strengthen your hair though without color added, try cassia. Although if your hair is very light, it does add a very slight bit of color.

The gentle methods that I learned here at LHC helped me to get my hair longer than it had been since childhood. The key is use of gentle, natural as possible products and treat your hair as you would fine lace and it will last you a lifetime. :cheese:

Everyone has to find what works for them and modify it from time to time as products change and so do your hairs needs. Just soak up the wonderful tips and find what makes your hair happy:D.

susiemw
December 20th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I've had long hair for many many decades and have never hennaed... I permed for 20 years (that was when it was waist length) and I've colored, (not at the same time, i had quit perming by then).
never used heat regularly, tend to rinse in cold hair to close the cuticle but never did anything else special.

I'm curious: what makes you think henna is neccessary for long hair?
I've been tempted to henna on occassion but I really don't think that's for me. In fact, right now, I'm letting my white grow out and haven't colored since September.

Susan

AnneAdeline
December 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'm a henna-head, though I henna for the color. The strength is just a happy side-effect. Henna is something you shouldn't do unless you adore the color, because it doesn't go away.
I second the idea of cassia.

dearladydisdain
December 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I grew my hair to classic without henna or indigo. I had even highlighted it (with a box from the store zomg!) when it was about waistlength.

Magdalene
December 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
No henna or indigo here.

ChatoyantLocks
December 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've never used henna or indigo, and my hair is long.

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
No henna or indigo here for me either. My current length is in my avatar.

This was taken after a catnip treatment though.

I am thinking about using cassia, maybe. LOL

CindyLea

nienna42
December 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Some of the longest hair here is not hennaed. If you don't want color change, then there is absolutely no need for you to use henna or indigo.

ETA: In fact, Catia is the only hennahead I can think of offhand who has superlong hair. Seems like there are lots of hennaheads around classic length, and I think a few around knee length, but nothing past that, and there are LOTS of people at classic--knee length who don't use henna.

Xandergrammy
December 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've never used henna or indigo, either.

fleurdelis
December 20th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Well..I also do not use henna, and even if my hair is realtively short still (but allready long for me). I see you have a pretty simal hair structure to mine :) and my hair is perfectly moistured with adding honey to my conditioner. I am also thinking pretty much about henna (about a year, lol) but mainly because of the color, since I adore red hair. If you are not sure you would like red hair, I srongly advise you not to do it.

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I don't quite understand your question, do you mean healthy long hair is not possible unless you henna? I think as long as your hair is conditioned and treated well it will grow long, lots of peeps on here have long hair in its virgin state!

Periwinkle
December 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I should think that at least 90% of the people who henna/indigo do so for the colour (though obviously many people find that it benefits their hair in other ways). There are plenty of other ways to have lovely hair; it isn't necessary at all!

DragonLady
December 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm just reaching hip, and my hair has never been henna'd or indigo-ed or cassiad or whatever.

I did destroy 40" of hair back in the '90's with "temporary" commercial dye, and will NEVER do such a thing again.

Akiko
December 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If you read posts in herb section, you might feel like majority of people use henna/indigo. But I don't think that's true. Just go through albums.

Personally I don't recommend henna or indigo unless you want to change your hair color permanently. Or your hair is dark enough that you don't see demarcation as hair grows. Then you can leave your hair alone for a few months if you don't have time or energy to do henna. Our life can be hectic sometimes.

Henna application is time consuming so it can be burdensome. You have to deal with unpleasant smell, too. Just my :twocents:.

cobblersmaid
December 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have had long hair for ages without it. I only just started for the colour.

Meli
December 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have never used henna or indigo, and my hair was tailbone+ at it's longest so far. As I like my natural colour, whatever length I reach in the future will be without henna/indigo.

Isilme
December 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
even though I use henna I do it for the colour, strength is just an added bonus. You sure can grow long healthy hair without henna. And indigo just adds colour, and though it doesn't hurt your hair at all, it doesn't strengthen it either.

Addy
December 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I've never never used henna either and my hair grows like a bad weed which is a good thing! :D

HairColoredHair
December 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I got to thigh without henna.

It's all about how you take care of your hair. Past BSL there are LOTS of little things that can cause breakage (chairs, for example!) But you can do it! You have to be careful with it if your hair is very fragile, but you can do it.

I just henna'd for the color... but the health benefits are nice.

Buddaphlyy
December 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I plan to grow to hip length with just shampoo, conditioner and maybe some oil. Henna scares me a bit.

squiggyflop
December 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
not neccisary.. it is helpful for people who are trying to salvage badly damaged hair.. but not needed for long hair.. i use henna now to intensify my auburn hair.. however when i started i was using it to save the badly and repeatedly bleached hair i had tortured to the point that it broke off at the shoulders..

Darkhorse1
December 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I've never used henna/indigo on my hair--I only get it colored to cover the gray now. I've had long hair forever, and have never had a problem---it's more about genetics than anything else. Look at your family to see what kind of hair they have, and how fast it grows. You will likely be similar, if not the same.

Laila23
December 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Thank you for everyone taking the time to answer my question.

Akiko, you are definitely right. Reading the henna section , one feels that everyone has some association with henna on the boards! :)

Thanks again. :)

Dianyla
December 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
ETA: In fact, Catia is the only hennahead I can think of offhand who has superlong hair. Seems like there are lots of hennaheads around classic length, and I think a few around knee length, but nothing past that, and there are LOTS of people at classic--knee length who don't use henna.
I think there are several reasons for this. One reason is that the process of applying the henna/indigo paste can be incredibly difficult for very long, thick hair.

You'll notice that most of the people past kneelength don't color their hair at all, with natural or chemical dyes. I think that for some this is a philosophy thing, as most people with this length of hair are life-long longhairs. Those that do color it tend to not change the appearance of it drastically.

Also, coloring your hair is a big decision when the consequences of changing your mind might require a 5-10 year grow-out cycle if you decided to stop coloring. There's a bigger time investment there, compared to how someone with shoulder length hair could grow all of the old color out within 2 years.

Deborah
December 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Of course it is! I have never colored my hair in any way, and I imagine that probably most of us use no color. :)

blondecat
December 21st, 2008, 04:13 AM
I've never used henna or cassia And I'm - almost- TB

The only advise I can give is Moiturise well/Oiling and wear it in a bun as often as possible.

spidermom
December 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Totally natural hair here, and it's gotten to tailbone length. Henna doesn't work for everybody, you know. It made my hair feel dry and brittle, and the color was truly awful on me.