PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find a low ponytail uncomfortable?

Curlsgirl
December 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I used to like these pretty well either with a small scrunchy or a pretty barrette or a flexi-8 but lately for a while every time I try wearing one I have to take it out very shortly. I am not sure if it is because I am used to updos or what but my hair seems to drag across my back and feel weird or uncomfortable. It also pulls a bit when I turn my head. Am I just being weird (maybe you shouldn't answer that) or is it the longer length of my hair that makes the difference? I am like that a little with a braid too but not really with my hair down all the way or a halfup.

Chromis
December 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I hadto stop wearing a low pony around BSL. I don't know if it was just friction from me moving around normally or what, but I'd get horrific snarls even just sitting around at my computer!

Copasetic
December 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
My hair isn't as long as yours, and low ponytails drive me nuts. It might just be a preference thing, but I can't wear them.

Curlsgirl
December 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thank goodness it's not just me. There is comfort in numbers :D
Yes and it does tend to give me tangles at the nape underneath. Even more than wearing it in a halfup or all the way down :shrugs:

Teacherbear
December 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I prefer my pony tails to be mid-head. Low ones tangle and high ones look a bit adolescent on my grey-head. All of that said, I *do* sleep in a low pony tail (with scrunchies down the length).

Tashomani
December 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have noticed this too recently! I have started wearing the pony higher on my head...and doing half up styles more. Also, I am wearing it down more, just because it is more comfortable. Anyway it causes me too to many tangles at the neck and on the ends!

Radulfr
December 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I have always worn a low ponytail, but I just did my hair in one medium and have to say it feels pretty good!
Feels cooler and air-ier. :)

I get quite a few tangles- maybe this will help. :)

Tressie
December 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I have the same trouble! My scrunchy slides out and if it stays part way down the length, I still get these awful nape tangles! Same with a low braid! Sigh!!

CaityBear
December 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I kind of just prefer medium or high ponytails. Though low ones kind of feel odd every now and then.

Elphie
December 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I can't wear a low pony tail either. I don't have a tangle problem, but the position bothers me. I find that I notice it touching my shoulders and it's uncomfortable. I can wear a low topsy tail though. I guess it lifts it a bit.

misstwist
December 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Ordinarily a low ponytail is my favorite version of the ponytail.

In the winter, though, I can't really wear anything at the nape of my neck because it gets in the way of turtlenecks and parka hoods.

lizzyjo
December 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I don't wear low ponytailes. Not because they're uncomfortable, but because they make the shape of my head look funny.

Teazel
December 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I don't wear ponytails of any sort - they pull. Ouch!

zen_oven
December 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I never found them uncomfortable, I just never liked the way they looked on me. I feel like they make my head look weird. ;)

RocketDog
December 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I can't wear them, they tug on the little baby hairs at my nape and always look 'funny' after a while. I prefer a high ponytail, I usually wear mine about two inches above the little 'knot' at the back of my skull. That's just where it sits comfortably, always has.

winter_star
December 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I am the opposite. I prefer wearing them lower if at all. A higher or mid head pony tail really pulls and hurts. The longer my hair gets the heavier and more uncomfortable it feels, so if I wear one it has to be lower and loose.

Addy
December 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I like low ponys better than high ponys but I wore a pony just above low yesterday and it was nice.

High ponys pull too much hair in the front and crown for me.

goldenwaves
December 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I don't like them either. They rub on my neck or something, but I don't like the look on me anyway :). Take comfort, my friend. You are not alone!!

noelgirl
December 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I don't wear low ponytails a lot - if I want a ponytail, it's because I want my hair up and off my neck. Plus, my growing-out bangs don't go into the pony when it's low, but they do when it's high.

AnneAdeline
December 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
High ponies pull on my hair and give me a headache, but low ones don't. I also think low ponies look good with my face shape (same with low buns, braids, etc.). I've started wear a low pony to bed and it's quite comfortable.

Magdalene
December 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Low or high for me. Mid gives me massive headaches.

Periwinkle
December 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yup, me too! I wore a low ponytail every day for years so it's really surprising to me that it's become uncomfortable, but it has.

nicolezoie
December 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Not weird: Low ponytails = friction tangles. Mid ponytails = scalpstrain. What's weird: With my length, you'd figure high ponytails would be the least comfortable. But they're not. If positioned right, for me they are the most comfortable (and I can sleep easiest with a high ponytail). Not that I ever wear LOOSE ponytails (all ponytails = mass tangles) but if I'm starting a braid or some sort of updo, I manage to balance things better if the ponytail is high. Anything lower than crown height ends up being really uncomfortable after a bit.

AJoifulNoise
December 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've very nearly given up ponytails all together. High ones pull, low ones pull... Middle ones shimmy down my head until they are low and then they pull again. It's buns and braids for me.

ssjhotau2
December 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Low ponytails are uncomfortable for me because my nape hair is long enough that it pulls on the scrunchy when I turn my head.

lapushka
December 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've never worn low ponytails, always mid to high ones. Could never stand the fact that I can't bend my neck in all directions with that kind of ponytail.

FlowerHair
December 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I can't wear high ponytails anymore...they are far too heavy! :sad:

Shufro
December 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
yea cant wear it its so ugly

twilight_faerie
December 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've had this problem for years. I tend to make my ponytails very tight, so when I make a low ponytail, the hairs on the very nape of my neck get pulled very taut and, oh man, it hurts. That doesn't stop me from wearing them, though...they're just so easy.

Darkhorse1
December 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I find any style will make my scalp sore after awhile. I prefer a single braid, but I tend to wear/use a braided ponytail this time of year as I can fit it all up into a hat.