PDA

View Full Version : What haircut while hair is growing?

RetroKitten
December 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My hair now:

The longest hairs are touching my neck now while the layers in the front are shorter with my bangs ( if you can call them that) being the shortest.
It's very thin and I try to do everything I can to keep it healthy and make it thicker.

My goals:

* BSL length
* U - shaped hemline
* long layers
* maybe 2-3 shorter layers to frame the face

What hairstyle should I go for now? I know that some layers will go through a quick growing phase in some weeks and soon reach shoulder length. In the past I had many problems with my hair reaching that stage, it was breaking off and looking a lot thinner than before. I want to avoid this at all costs... It is the first time I really make and effort to grow long, beautiful hair!

If I want to keep them up the whole time I really need a style that will let me do that, but to be honest I don't know what style or cut that cut be.

Should I trim the back and wait for the front layers to be the same length?
Keep the back short and let the front layers grow longer so it's easier to put them back in e.g. a ponytail? Do I have any other - easy because I am clumsy - options to put my hair up? Other methods?

Have great day!!!

neon-dream
December 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well I just left my hair to grow, it used to be in a V shape but now I'm growing my hair longer I've just let it grow out.
It's completely up to you really! I would let the front grow so it can grow quicker into a pony tail if I was you :).

suicides_eve
December 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
i always just wore my hair back in a pony tail to protect the ends and used decorative clips to hold back stray pieces. you gotta remember in like 4 months it can grow up to 3+"(depending on your average growth) so you'll get past your current stage in no time

Chromis
December 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I kept the back trimmed up roughly to the front to avoid having a mullet as I grew out. Then once it all was past shoulder length enough to where the shortest bits could still be tied back, I had a friend even it out.

Laila23
December 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't cut anything at all if I were you. Someone recently posted pics about updos for folks with shoulder length hair, you should check it out.

If it's breaking, why is that? Do you use a lot of heat or color/dye? I would focus on avoiding it from breaking.... what do you think?

:)

purplebubba
December 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I'd say since your grow out will probably go towards a U or a V shape I would wait until its long enough for your first Feye's trim
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/
Then follow the U shape instructions.

RetroKitten
January 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM
No I don't color or dye my hair! I do everything to keep it healthy, I don't comb, I tap it dry etc etc.

I added two pics to clarify what I mean:

That's is my hair just some mm before reaching my shoulders (my neck is short so my hairs reaches that length pretty quick). I can't make a ponytail, bun or anything like that because my hair is too short at this stage.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ur4kmc.jpg

When I let my hair just grow without putting it up in the past, it looked like this.
A thin hemline with many gaps. But what I want is a full, even hemline.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5cx2g.jpg

What can I do to achieve the look I desire so much?

talecon
January 11th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'd say keep it the way it is. it'll grow with a full even hemline if you leave it be

RetroKitten
January 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Really? Why do you think so?

Oh, that is not how my hair looks now in the pics - they were taken about a year ago when my hair was dyed!

berr
January 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
If you brush or comb your hair out it should appear to be a full even hemline until it comes in contact with your clothing. Clothing seems to make my hair separate and into sections/strands. I've been struggling to get from an original layered style like you describe. My hair is tailbone length, but leaving it down and loose, makes it separate into sections like you show in the second picture.

The layered bits will make it appear like there are larger gaps. The thing you can do about that is microtrim and the gaps will become shorter as the hair becomes longer, OR let it grow to beyond bsl and then do a cut to the length you desire after the layers are grown out, effectively removing all the layers.