PDA

View Full Version : Detangler?

LuXious
March 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I've been washing with shikaki and my hair is sooooo tangled afterward, it takes forever to pick out, and I bet I'm still losing more than I have to even for all my caution and gentleness. What I need is an all-natural detangling substance. Not a product with a label that only a chemist can interpret. No "-opherol"'s, no parabens, not tetrablahblahblah, methylmamajama, no cones or protein additives, alchohols, sodimum or sulfate, etc., etc. Something natural that I could grow in my own yard or find in my kitchen cabinet.

squiggyflop
March 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
oil! camellia oil on wet/damp hair worked for me when i went no cones... hmmm i dont know what you could grow in your garden... does your hair like EVOO? i think you could find that in your kitchen cabinet

Feisty Redhead
March 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Coconut oil is a very nice detangler for my hair. I just scoop out a small amount and gently rub it into any tangles and then carefully, gently work my fingers or a comb through from the bottom up. :)

squiggyflop
March 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Coconut oil is a very nice detangler for my hair. I just scoop out a small amount and gently rub it into any tangles and then carefully, gently work my fingers or a comb through from the bottom up. :)
thats strange coconut oil seems to make my hair more tangled

Ohio Sky
March 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have yet to find my miracle oil but DDs hair LOVES sweet almond.
Ive used chamomile tea both as a rinse and in my mister bottle and it helps a bit. You could grow that in your garden and find it in your kitchen!

Delilah
March 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Have you tried acid rinses? I know vinegar takes my hair from a tangly mess after shampoo-barring into a nice, sleek softness. I don't need to use any synthetics or oils after henna or indigo even, just a good rinse and then diluted vinegar.
It gives a surprising amount of slip even when hair is wet. I use about 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water. Other people use citric acid with great sucess, I don't know the ratio for that one.

Feisty Redhead
March 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
thats strange coconut oil seems to make my hair more tangled

Proof there's no one thing that works for everyone. ;)

Ohio Sky
March 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Proof there's no one thing that works for everyone. ;)
Uhhh if only! Even though it wouldnt be near as much fun, sometimes I wish there was a few things that were just "good for everyone" even just as a fallback.

LuXious
March 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I tried coconut oil yesterday, and today I feel a bit greasy-- only used a little. Next I'll try ACV. Got a gallon of that. DH is baffled by it. "What do you keep buying these big jugs of vinegar for?" "What smells like vinegar?" HA! Why, for my gorgeous long hair which you love so much but will never complement until I say I'm going to get it cut. Which I'm not. Just fishing for props. Thanks for the responses, ever'body!

LuXious
March 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hey, wait a second! Squiggyflop-- how much growth are you showing in that sig pic? How many inches in six months? Looks like a whole bunch. What did you do? Love the handle, btw.