PDA

View Full Version : I have finally reached a new status in my long hair quest

kschr2004
December 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
So, I was out tonight. While I was in the restroom, I got my first ever comment from a stranger mentioning that I should think about donating my hair to Locks of Love. The funny thing is, she said it because she overheard someone else say earlier that I had very pretty hair and they wished they could grow their hair that long.

Even funnier, as soon as she told me that I should think about donating, she started telling another girl in the restroom that she should get extensions for her wedding.

Anyway, I guess that I've finally reached that hair length where these types of comments start to be made. Good thing I'm secure about my hair, and still planning to keep growing regardless of what anyone says. :)

HairColoredHair
December 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Good for you. And don't worry about it. People who talk about LoL and extensions in the same conversation tend to be a little brain washed.

sahasralah
December 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yeah. The first time it is kind of fun because someone noticed. But when it starts happening often, it becomes more like, "oh here we go again..."

ole gray mare
December 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Boy, that lady had a lot of advice to give in the restroom! I always find public restroom behavior amusing. I tend to keep to myself, but others definitely strike up conversations, don't they? :)

Well, congrats. It sounds like quite a compliment, actually!

Phalaenopsis
December 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
One way it's nice that someone noticed the length of your hair. I would try to only look at it in that way.:)

Lady Verity
December 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've never had the Locks of Love thing (I suspect it's an American thing?) but whenever someone begins a sentence referring to your hair with the words "you should", I cringe.

invisiblebabe
December 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Even funnier, as soon as she told me that I should think about donating, she started telling another girl in the restroom that she should get extensions for her wedding.

Hahahahaha ^_^ People are so illogical sometimes!

amaiaisabella
December 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well, they say that donated hair should be in perfect condition, so I'd say that's a mark in your favor :) Either way, may you continue to have a happy growing journey!

girlcat36
December 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe you could just donate your hair to the other girl in the restroom! <joking!>

trolleypup
December 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm glad men aren't so social in the restroom.

...and...

"Oh, did you know they are just a front for Walgreen's hair buyers?"

Juneii
December 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
ah, that reminds me so much of what this girl at my school told me.
she was brushing her friend's hair [ripping it with a plastic bristle brush, really] and telling her how she should grow her hair out a donate it to locks of love. and then turned around, grabbed my hair and told me to cut my hair to my shoulders and layer it.
I was about to lecture her on LoL until she said that to me. I was so shocked and appalled at the suggestion that I didn't bother saying anything.

KnightsLady
December 20th, 2008, 02:48 AM
That's hilarious. You were very well behaved to be able to restrain yourself from laughing in her face, especially when she mentioned the extensions to the other lass. Who needs comedy when you have real life?

Glad you've reached a new milestone. Happy growing.

blue_nant
December 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, they say that donated hair should be in perfect condition, so I'd say that's a mark in your favor!

Ha! I'm an easy out! I'm sure that my older hair is in poor condition/ the ends. So ha!

That's hilarious. You were very well behaved to be able to restrain yourself from laughing in her face ... Who needs comedy when you have real life?

Quite so on the well-behaved bit.

I just look at people and say "I grow this because I LIKE long hair, why would I cut it???? That's crazy!" They usually just clam up and withdraw (heh)

berr
December 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Chat in a public restroom??? I have an aversion to public restrooms and I'm too busy holding my breath.

DaveDecker
December 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
So, I was out tonight. While I was in the restroom, I got my first ever comment from a stranger mentioning that I should think about donating my hair to Locks of Love. The funny thing is, she said it because she overheard someone else say earlier that I had very pretty hair and they wished they could grow their hair that long.

I guess she was looking to facilitate the transaction... with lol being the intermediary and taking their "cut."

ah, that reminds me so much of what this girl at my school told me.
she was brushing her friend's hair [ripping it with a plastic bristle brush, really] and telling her how she should grow her hair out a donate it to locks of love. and then turned around, grabbed my hair and told me to cut my hair to my shoulders and layer it.
I was about to lecture her on LoL until she said that to me. I was so shocked and appalled at the suggestion that I didn't bother saying anything.

Better luck next time on not holding back. :) 'Til then, I suppose, she'll probably continue to spew her special brand of commentary to any longhairs that come within arm's length. :rolleyes:

Beatnik Guy
December 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Anyway, I guess that I've finally reached that hair length where these types of comments start to be made. Good thing I'm secure about my hair, and still planning to keep growing regardless of what anyone says. :)

Congrats on your new status! :cheese:

I'm glad men aren't so social in the restroom.

Exactly. Men don't speak in restrooms.
:poot:

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yay! id take that as a reasurrence id become a long haired way to grow!

Chrissy
December 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM

Maybe we should make that a new length name - The LOL length. Nope I don't think so.

Isilme
December 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
well, it always amazes me that an organization that wants to come off as honorable chooses a name that so easily can be shortened (excuse the pun) to LOL. Don't you think it says something about them?

rockkcor
December 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Ha ha!
It is great!
But 'Locks of Love' - I really hate those people!
They approach you with some ‘moral’ thing like ‘give your money for the charity’ and they live off it! Where donated hair goes to after all? How many cancer patients are there?
It is not like donating your blood or something – hair is something they could sell and make a great profit out of it!
Perhaps we need a discussion about ‘Locks of Love’ somewhere!
:(

truepeacenik
December 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Boy, that lady had a lot of advice to give in the restroom! I always find public restroom behavior amusing. I tend to keep to myself, but others definitely strike up conversations, don't they? :)

Well, congrats. It sounds like quite a compliment, actually!

what do you want to bet she didn't wash her hands?:wigtongue
that's what I notice (or listen for, really)

kschr2004
December 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
You all are so funny. :-) I hope she washed her hands, given that she was touching my hair without permission.

I did think about making a joke on giving my hair to the other girl, but I decided it was better to take the opportunity to slip out of the restroom while she was talking to someone else. :D

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
It is in a way a compliment, that someone would be over the moon to have your hair, though I think it very hypocritical to tell someone then to opt for something that can be inhumane in stealing people's hair :(

MsBubbles
December 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
You all are so funny. :-) I hope she washed her hands, given that she was touching my hair without permission.

Wait...she touched your hair too? I look forward to the moment when I can grab someone's wrist quick as a flash if they do that...

I definitely see your point of view that you've reached a certain status now that someone has given you the LOL comment. I know it's silly, but whenever people here or anywhere else with lovely long hair complain that someone brought up the LOL thing with them, I sigh wistfully and look forward to the day when my hair is worthy of instigating such thoughts in someone. I mean, our hair is nobody else's business, but from my viewpoint (BSL with straggly ends and damage!), I see it as a compliment that somebody thought their hair was that beautiful, healthy and glossy to donate.

truepeacenik
December 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
she TOUCHED you in the loo?
Gross.

twilight_faerie
December 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
How nice. Another person who can't keep their sage advice to themself.

Anyway, congratulations! I bet you're super happy about getting your hair noticed...I definitely consider that a hair milestone.