PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt?

Mishka_84
December 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I seem to remember reading something about using yogurt as a deep condition treatment, or to lift/lighten henna from hair. But I can't find the thread I remember. I need to freshen my henna next month, but I don't want it getting any darker. I was thinking, if I remember correctly, I could use yogurt on my hair to "lift" some of the henna without damaging my hair. I don't want to get rid of it completely, I'm just looking for something that's faster than doing several honey treatments, without damaging my hair.

Xepher
December 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would like to know this as well. Honey lightening seems like a long process!

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm in the same position. I've finally started to get to my goal color, and I would like to continue on doing monthly hennaing. So I'm afraid I'll get too dark, but I'm doing the henna not just for the color but also the conditioning.
My best guess is that yogurt would lift unbound henna like SMT does. It is not actually lightening like honey treatments.

ChloeDharma
December 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I've never used yogurt to lift henna as such, but did notice mine seemed to fade more when i did them. What about doing a full henna application just on the roots, and a henna gloss using yogurt mixed with the henna on the length? Then you get conditioning benefits and then some, a colour refreshing but hopefully not let the length get much darker.

Fantak
December 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I've never used yogurt to lift henna as such, but did notice mine seemed to fade more when i did them. What about doing a full henna application just on the roots, and a henna gloss using yogurt mixed with the henna on the length? Then you get conditioning benefits and then some, a colour refreshing but hopefully not let the length get much darker.

I've never heard of yoghurt being used as a deep conditioning treatment, how do you do it? Out here we tend to use it before shampooing to get heavy oils (like castor oil etc) out of the hair so it will wash clean. It tends to be really drying.

FancyHair
December 19th, 2008, 12:08 AM
joghurt works for me that the color is come lighter.... as i use a lot of joghurt (one whole cup) mixed with coffee, the color seems to get more transluent.. now i used only two teaspoon and the color comes out darker.. joghurt has some peroxid (based on the kind of joghurt you use) and can reduce color ... so i would try one cup of joghurt on damped hair, shower cap and towel and let it stay in for approx 1-2 hours...

my hair loves joghurt, my scalp stopped itching after start to use joghurt in my mixes...

tomato juice has peroxide too... my hair become lighter after using... but it can get darker after a few days... so for get out some color... you can try tomato juice too...

Finoriel
December 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM
:wink: Not everything contains peroxide. Peroxide content on an effective and noticeable level is not that common. I just tried to find a reputable source stating that yogurt contains peroxide. No luck. Where did you get that information FancyHair?
Peroxide is commonly used to disinfect the packaging of yogurt, but that still does not make it a substance of content which is naturally occurring in yogurt. Even if there get residues of it into the yogurt from the packing, the amount would be so small that it will not lighten anything.
For deep treatments you are supposed to use raw yogurt to avoid residues and unexpected effects on your hair. That means no preservatives, sugar, artificial colours, fruit bits, saw dust or whatever you can find as an additive in the white slobbery things some companies sell as yogurt these days. :wink:
Regular raw yogurt does not contain peroxide. :flower:

Yogurt does not lighten settled henna, nor does it pull out henna.
It can pull some colour (not really much) when the henna is very fresh aka not settled and there are not several layers of henna and your hair does not grab colour well (henna over product buildup, cones). But then, under such circumstances almost everything you could use on your hair would pull out some colour.
My recommendation is to not waste your time with trying to "lighten" henna with yogurt. Henna is hard to lighten and there are ways to try this which are far more promising.

I use yogurt since a long time for deep treatments and sometimes I use it as a base for a henna gloss :wink: itīs great and makes my hair very shiny and moisturized, but it does not lighten or pull out henna.

FancyHair
December 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
first: each head is other... all i use make my hair lighter... cause my hair react very directly to tanning agent and to lemon juice too... so i think, each should try some stuff until you have find the right for you... i found it here in the LHC ... it was copied from a article... but now i can not find it again... perhaps somebody remembered of this thread... the value isn t really high... i think it was only 1 oder 2 % of peroxide.... a mix from tomato juice, honey and olive oil can work too..
and on the german longhairboard some got good results with "old" henna-heads with lemon juice and olive oil, only joghurt, honey and oil..

FancyHair
December 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
i find it ... on the german longhair board...
"Rationale For Probiotic Supplementation
Probiotics form hydrogen peroxide, a bactericide."
http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/probiotic.pdf

This means, IMO, that those types of yoghurts used in a honey treatment should be an additional element to help lighten hair.

This would also explain why yoghurt has been reported to help lighten hair on henna forums and lighten skin on other places on the net.

This also explains why sometimes yoghurt has been reported not to lighten anything - it is a specific type of yoghurt that must be used.

Yoghurt apparently does have a peroxide value but different types of yoghurt would have different peroxide values, IMO.

"Properties and stability of butter oil obtained from milk and yoghurt.
The physical and chemical characteristics and thermal stability of butter oil produced from cow's milk by two different methods were studied. Butter oil samples from cow's milk were made (i) directly from milk and (ii) from yoghurt. Samples were autoxidized at 60, 70 and 80 degrees C in the dark and the reaction monitored by peroxide, thiobarbituric acid and free fatty acid values. Peroxide and thiobarbituric acid values increased as the temperature increased."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract