PDA

View Full Version : A Thought On Conditioner

ChloeDharma
December 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've not really been keeping up with the herb washing, and because i found applying conditioner to my scalp increased my shedding i decided to do something i usually swear i wont and used shampoo on my scalp.
It's an SLES one not SLS.
So, i have used it on very heavily oiled hair, on the scalp then let the suds rinse down the length.....god i can't tell you how much i've missed suds! Anyway, i was in a bit of a hurry the first time i did it, so i used a conditioner (timotei shea and bamboo.....yes i'm affraid it contains cones but i love those things...) but basically used it as directed, just applied to my length, kept it off the scalp, and rinsed off after about a minute.
I found that my hair seemed far less like.....as if i'd been plugged into the mains, which i usually get when my hair first dries.
So i was wondering if maybe leaving conditioner on for a long time might somehow encourage frizz.....i'm not quite sure how.....and i don't mean in a damaging way, i'm just wondering if anybody had noticed a similar thing themselves?

Elphie
December 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
timotei shea

You can find this in London? I've been looking for this shampoo/conditioner for years. I can't find it stateside. I adore this stuff!

ChloeDharma
December 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
timotei shea

You can find this in London? I've been looking for this shampoo/conditioner for years. I can't find it stateside. I adore this stuff!

Oh yeah, it's in most supermarkets. I love the conditioner so much i'm thinking of even trying the 'poo, the smell is just heavenly!
Timotei used to do a shampoo and conditioner years ago that i really liked, honey and something i think....but it seems to have been discontinued ages ago

Pegasus Marsters
December 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah my hair used to go frizzy if I used too much conditioner or didn't shampoo enough. POOF! :lol:

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Is it only me who feels conditioner should not be used on the scalp? The way I see it, in showers, scalp needs to be cleansed rather then conditioned. The sebum production takes care of the conditioning and by that brings the need for cleaning once in a while. The length, on the other hand, doesn't see much of that sebum, and therefore needs to be babed and conditioned, however not cleaned, unless build-up occurs.

As for your question ChloeDharma, you said you only kept it on your length for one minute. Either I misunderstood you, or it is indeed what you meant, which is weird. I leave my conditioner for longer than a minute, and my hair mask (which plays the role of the second C) for much much longer. I can't testify on the results though, since my hair's frizzy by nature and nothing much can help that.

burns_erin
December 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Is it only me who feels conditioner should not be used on the scalp?

I think it is higly individual, both to the person AND to the conditioner. My scalp always hated conditioner, UNTIL I tried the Giovanni TTTT, somthing about the ingredients in there my scalp just loves!

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think it is higly individual, both to the person AND to the conditioner. My scalp always hated conditioner, UNTIL I tried the Giovanni TTTT, somthing about the ingredients in there my scalp just loves!
Yeah, of course that's undeniably true.
But for me personally the thought of working conditioner into my scalp is little bit averting. :shrug: Maybe I'm just too sensitive about my scalp due to my whole hair loss saga. The way I see it, there are people who successfully practice WO over here, so there's no actual need to use something on your scalp even if you COing. Of course, everybody's different and the success of methods may vary, and it's all trials and learning what works best for you.

ChloeDharma
December 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
My sebum tends to not travel down much as it's quite dry, so it definately needs something on it, though nowdays i'm sticking to oiling it and not using conditioner there.
I think using conditioner on the scalp, as has been said, is one of those "works for some, not for others" situations.....also the kind of conditioner used makes a difference. If i make a DT with things like yogurt, herbs, honey etc then i happily put it on my scalp as those things are good for skin as well as hair, same with oil, but commercial conditioners, especially those heavy types with cones and/or waxes i find leave a residue which combined with dry sebum isn't that pleasant.
With CO washing i HAVE to massage it into my scalp or i just don't feel clean and i'm a bit paranoid of my hair smelling like sebum which on other people makes me gag. Of course i now have realised that increases my shedding which is why i gave in and used shampoo.

Willow
December 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I stopped using instant conditioner completely. I tried a million different kinds and they just made my hair dull and heavy. I just deep condition once a week and shampoo 2x week with a sulfate free shampoo. I then spray on some detangler or leave in conditioner. My hair is now just the way i want it to be. Shiny and smooth and bouncy!

NebraskaChick84
December 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't use conditioner on my scalp...I use it about crown down. shampoo I work into the scalp and then rinse. I thought that's how you do it. :o I'm amazed at how instinctively I've been doing things the *right* way (except the whole brushes and elastics thing...I'll never give them up)

Curlsgirl
December 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I only use conditioner to help detangle, then rinse out and use another conditioner left in. That helps the most for me. As for my scalp, I don't put it on my scalp either. It gets oily/dirty a lot faster if I do. I only use it from the ears down.

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
timotei shea

Wilkinsons is the only place i know which sells this